Page 4763 of 5346 FirstFirst ... 37634263466347134753476147624763476447654773481348635263 ... LastLast
Results 47,621 to 47,630 of 53456

Thread: How'd it go today?

Shutting down near everything but essential gov''t here. Sleet, freezing rain & plenty of wind. Wind chill = 12f. They are predicting up to .5 inch of ice.

Picked up a couple cans of gas for the generator in case.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -Steven Wright

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Damn. Stuff like that never happens here. Literally, I'm third generation living around here, zero natural disasters.

I don't think I'd like that kind of winter.

We haven't had any snow yet until today. We usually get one or two good storms per year...not a big thing, a couple 100 car pile-ups per winter on the expressways is normal.

Very rare when we can't get out or the power goes out here though. I just like to be prepared...filled the oil lamps during the last big wind, and usually keep some gas around but just happened to be completely out.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -Steven Wright

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

We dont get the major ice storms very often, and nothing like you guys or the east coast.

Quarter inch or so is all we will see. We will lose power for a few weeks occasionally.
    Is this not a reasonable place to park?

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.

Jim Conrad

A few weeks? Worst I've seen is power out overnight, once. Usually 2-4hrs tops if the power ever does go out.

Obviously you have a generator or two I would presume?

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

Yep, mom and dad have a 27kw pto and I have a hook up so I can run a 10kw. I will get a pto gen eventually.

Longest was when I was a kid and it was a month. Last bad storm was for two weeks. The little town to the north was snow bound for 45 days and they were flying groceries in by planes with ski's.
    Is this not a reasonable place to park?

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.

Jim Conrad

A little firewood cutting, a little stump grind, and clean up the shop, it's a big mess, can't even find my pecker.
    Peter

Crazy. Seems unbelievable to me. Here seriously was overnight only once and that entailed probably 12-14hrs of actual outage.

Last winter we had some really bad winter snowstorms and I think some outlying areas were without for like three days and there has been massive ROW work ever since. I couldn't imagine going weeks or a month.

Default Christmas Break Work

It's been a while since my last post, but I wanted to show you guys my little project over the Holiday break. The pile is from eight white pines so far and I have about another 8 to go. I've been chunking them up in 22' sections since that's the longest the neighborhood log truck can handle.

We're clearing the pines out on our property and by blocking the light, they have ruined what few deciduous trees tried to grow in between them. I've had to take down a few 8"-12" maples because they were just 60' sticks with a little bush at the top. Luckily we have a few that have grown nice around the street-side edges of the property so we'll save and nurture those as well as plant quite a few deciduous specimen trees.

I just wanted to say I could have never done this without the guidance and support from my friends at the Treehouse!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20151227_160610.jpg   IMG_20151226_163601.jpg  

Still runs with scissors, plays with cars, and climbs trees

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Good work there stranger...glad to read you again. Fine looking hinge.
    Gary