Page 3 of 5576 FirstFirst 1234513531035031003 ... LastLast

Thread: How'd it go today?

The Day Is Done...
    Quote Originally Posted by stehansen View Post
    My Dad says times like this always create opportunities also, but that the trouble with the opportunities are that they are disguised as hard work.

The engine plant was a real hoopla.Pain in the arse new type "puter stuff.

After work ,I cruised a 60 foot by 1000 foot clear cut for a road widening job for my wifes adopted son,Tom the tree guy.

He's got three weeks to do it,a joint venture with another tree outfit.I'll get them both together ,tommorrow and help them with the bid.

Old Al is likely to end up with several thousand board feet of prime hardwood saw logs out of this deal.Of course,most likely I'm going to have to tuter these fellows in ground falling methods.One must remember they are used to disassembling a tree in a back yard.Of which they do a great job.The old clear cut deal is my game,I haven't forgot how.

Al, bartering is the REAL way to deal, my brother ! So glad you're on board with that.
    Trading your knowledge & know-how ? >>> NEVER short-change yourself. Those blokes will be damned glad for it. If you come away w/ a few hundred board ft. of wood, my guess izz that they're glad to give it.
    I'll repeat myself NEVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE !
    Those guys are miles ahead for it, Al.
    So am I.
    My Dad says times like this always create opportunities also, but that the trouble with the opportunities are that they are disguised as hard work.

My day went well. a fundraising committee meeting this morning , they forked out for breakfast. then off to the nursery to give a quick pruning talk then off to the fields with a handful of nursery people to do some hands on pruning of young trees. barely got dirty, got to share lotsa info and.. got to write an invoice.
    bah, tomorrow I go back to finish my retaining wall.
    Knowledge is power and its very light weight. - Cody Lundin

oh, yeah... this is me. s'all good t'day.
    not really, but what can ye say ?
    we put in another day.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Why are your pics so small? Is that how you're submitting them?

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Ya'll fraidy cats outta click on the chat link!

Butch, are you speaking to moi ?
    I preview my pix, they seem to be O.K. ?
    I tol' you'z guyz, you gotta tell me how to do it ?
    Honest to friggin' Christos, I make no pretense of "know-how"... ye gotta LEAD ME !!!

Frans

Default e

Quote Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
    Of course,most likely I'm going to have to tuter these fellows in ground falling methods.One must remember they are used to disassembling a tree in a back yard.Of which they do a great job.
    Hey Al,
    When I read what you said, I realized how on track you are in that.
    My personal experiance is rigging out wood from a tight area.
    In the area I learned to climb in, the terrain is all steep hills, very expensive homes, 32" gate to a half acre backyard, every single twig roped down. A 6'X6' drop zone is normal not the exception.
    The Oakland/Berkeley CA. hills are stuffed with big old Monteray Pines and Eucs. installed 30+ years ago. Also the influx of money makes for a good market to go in and try to do it right.

BUT, now that I have moved into a more rural area, I found out that felling trees is normal. Let me tell you, my confidance took a nose dive after trying to fell trees and not having that 'certain' feeling I have with roping.
    It took alot of learning and let me tell you (you already know) a steep learning curve.
    I still dont feel confidant, got alot to learn. My friends like Gerry Baranek do things that freak me out! Never in my wildest dreams would I drop a tree like Gerry does. for him, just in a days work. I bet that bastards heart beat does not even change . For me, major life changes. More hair falling outta my head, you get the idea...
    so anyways, thanks for posting that. I am glad I am not alone with your buddies who know roping but not felling. They are lucky to have you around.
    Frans

Banned by Squirrels

Greenhorn, dude, you gotta get rid of that groundie...

I got my old cast off, x-rays look good, and a new one on for another four months...