How'd it go today?

Thanks Stumper. A little search done, but no ammonia in the house. I might pick some up tomorrow if the itching persists. I have been applying a menthylatum rub. It seems to help, but frequent applications are required. I think that there is a steroid cream that is effective on stings, distributed by phsicians for just such happenings. Not sure if it requires a prescription, but it might be good to keep on hand at job sites or when camping, etc. The doctor who treated my friend, told him that reactions vary for individuals. A person can die from one sting, and like with Takashi, multiple stings can have fairly minor results.

without making light of recent members encounters with such beasts, at this time of year I would like to urge all folks to steer well clear of hornets, wasps, bees and the like.

manda2.jpg

WaspBuildingNest_wb.jpg

and for those near hollywood, beware the legacy of this species:

hornet.jpg

Wow Jay! Glad you're ok now. I remember the pics you put up of the giant Asian wasp....if these were anything close to that, I can't imagine ONE sting, not to mention many!!

My day's been good. I finally got my daughter back to school. Just talked with the insurance people, the cell phone she was using (mine) was crunched beyond repair. Called to see if THAT was covered, and was pleasantly surprised to hear that it is.

I'm amazed at how many hoops you have to jump through to keep your kid home from school. It's not enough for a parent to SAY (or write) their child was home ill, you have to have it documented by a doctor. So even though she was still taking pain pills periodically and couldn't stand/sit upright for any length of time due to the trauma to her chest.....seems I should have brought her to the doctor to DOCUMENT it. BS She'd already been xrayed, nothing broken (I even got copies and went over them carefully myself)....but the area under the bruising (now puke green) was swollen and painful. Kinda a big 'duh' to me.....time/motrin/rest/ice and/or heat and as much movement as she can stand to keep things moveable. Oh well...........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man, that's BS. If my kid was sick and had to stay home, I wouldn't jump through hoops to do it.

Man, that's BS. If my kid was sick and had to stay home, I wouldn't jump through hoops to do it.

I didn't. BUT....now I have to do the jumping or SHE is the one that suffers. I didn't hesitate keeping her home, but I knew that I was going to have to make pretty bows out of red tape when she went back.

Luckily, living in a small town...even though a few rules can't be ignored or bent (many are), the person telling you the rules will also tell you the loopholes and ways around them.

Her friend with the back brace only made it through half the day, but Rach stayed all the way through. And then crashed the minute she walked in the door at home.

That stuff sucks Che. My wife hates filling out these ridiculous forms for schools and employers. Unfortunately the bad eggs who abuse the "sick day" system have forced this situation. My wife really hates it when patients come to her for a "note" after the fact and they weren't "sick" enough to see the doctor. She hasn't taken a sick day in the 21 years I've known her. Good to here your daughter is a trooper.

My day ?
One guess.
I pruned & hedged & raked & sweated & watched the rest of the sane world come & go.
Then on the way home, the radiator cracked.
It was a blast.
And I MEAN IT !!!
Livin' day-to-day has its advantages <sp?>
I dig feelin' the HERE AND NOW !!!

I called in sick today. Coughing and a runny nose all night. Felt hot one second and cold the next.
Payday is gonna suck next week. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You touched the wrong thing, then touched another wrong thing.

Orrrrr, you got breathed on.

Bacteria suck!

I bet being sick in Buffalo is better than being healthy in Iraq? Get well quick!

Sorry 'bout your immune system, Jonny. I've heard some weird shit coming out of Iraq w/ regards to health issues. Hold onto GOOD THOUGHTS.
My day was playing 'gardener'. Work slows down, and all-of-a-sudden I'm willing to do all those menial chores that were "below me" in June.
Yikes !

first site, 6 trees to evaluate, second site 11 trees to evaluate, third site estimate for pruning, fourth site beach with burgers and fries for lunch, fifth site euthanize 4 little cherry trees then re-affix the laundry line to help the tree out. a long day for me but a good day.

Hmm, I had classes throughout the day. In between I got started on fixing a light fixture that went out this morning (pull switch was broken). SO I took a little bit of time, grabbed my fish wire and pulled a nel line down the wall and put a switch for it, and just put in a new, standard based light fixture.

Otherwise I have been keeping a check on flood waters once again.

http://wavy.com/Global/Video/WorldnowASX.asp?os=&vt=v&clipid=1000152

http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=akq&gage=fknv2&view=1,1,1,1,1,1

My customer's House Manager informed me today that they're selling the Benz, if anybody's interested ? Seems the Mrs. has purchased a Bentley and needs to make room in the garage.
I transplanted Yew bushes & hedgetrimmed Juniper. Yay.

Flopped 2 Hemlocks and 1 Alder today. Bucked them up and left rounds for customer. Hauled away the slash, to my buddy's place... and we had some beers around the fire we made with all the slash.

Gary

Flopped 2 Hemlocks and 1 Alder today. Bucked them up and left rounds for customer. Hauled away the slash, to my buddy's place... and we had some beers around the fire we made with all the slash.

Gary

That plan sounds better than the National Guard Helecopters flying around the city right now. :(

It went.
More transplants, some PR, little bit o' rain. Meh.
I wanna butcher some trees.

Quit work at four and went to a hot spring place I hadn't been to before, kinda out in the boonies. They had a real good sauna and deep plunge ice water wooden tub, as well as the hot spring baths. They also serve micro-brewery beer in their cafe there. A great place to get layed back!

Ground out one little stump this morning ,spent the whole afternoon pricing work.....

estimate first thing for a landscape redo, couple hours pruning in a maple and a dogwood. then off to the arboretum for lunch. Touched a tree for Doc Shigo, enjoyed the sun, went to another local park and walked around for a bit. home now, here and doing up some paperwork. all in all, a great day. :)

Back