How'd it go today?

Got off to a way late start, left the house around 3pm, drove 30 minutes to the job, where I spent 1.5 hours slaying 4 dead oaks using the lift, one was a flopper.

I left to get gas for the mini, as I knew the guy would want me to move the wood. I had some time to kill before the dude got home, so I went to a friends office and hung out till 6ish, then I returned to the job to find it pouring rain, although there wasn't a cloud in sight 4 miles back at my friends office.

So there I sit in the rain for an hour or so, surfing the web on my BlackBerry. Finally the rain slacks enough, I hook the guys cable line back up, and flopped the last stick. Then we chatted for a bit (till 8), and I got started moving the wood with the mini.

I got home about 15 minutes ago, check in hand, made great money for the 5.5 hours I spent working :)

Another day off here. Groundies wife is very ill and he has already stated that he will have to give up work (become a ful time carer) :( Although it was going to be in a months time, it is looking like sooner rather than later.
The thought of having to find and train up new staff is getting me down, but choice is a fine thing!

It's worse for the groundie, for me it's just another hiccup

Be carefull at the zoo, rumor has it that those elephants can get a little touchy:\:

:lol:

I'm off to take out a dead pine at one job, then a dead willow and annoying Bradford Pear at another.

Then I gotta take the pooch to the vet for her check-up and I'll probably take the rest of the day off. :)

I took out a bradford pear tree that had fallen into an empty swimming pool, we are having Lousiana weather MB. Liked to have killed me.

Sitting at the court house presently, getting those safe driving awards resolved. With any luck I'll get driving school for the speeding and the other ticked dropped.

i bid a job for a guy yesterday whos eyes bugged out when i told him the price :roll: i said i got bills to pay and a living to make. he said must be a good living. i looked around and said i dont have this much property sir:D

i bid a job for a guy yesterday whos eyes bugged out when i told him the price :roll: i said i got bills to pay and a living to make. he said must be a good living. i looked around and said i dont have this much property sir:D

I just encourage people to get another quote and head on my way. I'm trying to market myself to the rich and super rich, but haven't quite got it dialed yet.8)

SO... how long do you think it will be until his wife calls you back saying her dumbarsed husband threw his back out, and to come finish the job?

Meh, just another day here, gonna go cut the grass, look for more jobs, visit ma, cook dinner :roll: Someone save me!

What I hate, and I've run into recently. Is when the potential customer 'leaks' out another companies bid, except it's total bs just trying to drive the price down. A guy did this to me recently on two big multi-stemmed cottonwoods that were over 100' told me another company in town had quoted him $500-$600 dollars for takedown cleaning the brush and leaving the wood. Did I mention also that one of them was right beside his neighbors house and both are right along a fenceline. I just told him I'm not even putting in a price as I wouldn't even be anywhere in the ballpark. I guarantee that other company was not doing it for anywhere near that price as when I told him it was a no-brainer take their quote he started talking about how he didn't want to use them as he didn't like the guy blah, blah, blah ya right.

Some people don't, fathom the cost of doing business, and that it's ok to make money. (Walmart)

Luckily I weed them out fairly well, still get some supprises every now and then. The people who could care less if you eat also don't offer you anything to drink and want the job done yesterday.

Normallly if I get a vibe like that, I'll wait 4-5 business days before I bid the job, unless I have something to do near them. My thinking is that it's unlikely I'll get the job which means I'll loose money going to bid it. That is made worse by making a special trip out there, by waiting I increase the odds that A: they'll get someone else or B: I'll have another job/bid to do in that area.

Left the court house, today is a court day. I would have had to wait for hours, I still have 2 months, perhaps I'll try again tomorrow.

i say to that, id check and make sure their insured and legal, this is my cost.....

What's funny is the company that he mentioned has been in business for I beleive 17yr's locally, definetly insured cert'd arbs on staff and renowned locally for being very expensive. I just had to laugh a bit the old bugger was definetly trying to work me. I'm sure he picked a number in his mind that he wanted to pay for the work and that became their quote. He also told me if he was ten years younger he would do it himself, no problem. I just laughed the whole time he was talking the job down like it would be soooo easy.:lol:

I love the thought when a dude says if he was x years youngeran he'd do it his DAYM self, he used to do it all the time, sent his litter through college doing it, blah blah blah blah. The guy I'm thinking of said 3 years ago.

I said hell, 3 years aint that long, take off scooter!

The story ends with me dropping the 3 trees in about an hour for 3 C notes. Apparently having a grcs does wonders for ones abilities.

When someone says they were quoted a ridiculously low price we just smile and say "Wow, that is an amazing price. I hope you didn't lose their number."

We've actually ended up getting a few of those jobs at our price in the end. Sometimes we've found that that was an actual quote, but when they try and actually get the job done the person realizes they waaaay underbid and won't do the job.

I had one of those way underbid jobs last week, sadly I was the one that bid it.

Two LONG days for 1500 bucks. I didn't loose money, didn't make much either.

Felt lousy the last week, got worse the last few days. Went to work this am, got in to see the doc about 1:30, 101 fever, sinus infection, bronchitis (again) and allergies kicking in. A shot of Cortisone and $200 worth of meds at the pharmacy and I think I am ready to pass out!!! When does it end!!!!

Back