How'd it go today?

It was eariler man lol. Took a nap lol. Gonna try to grow it out more first, and wearing a helmet most of the day will flatten it out, so I'm not too worried about gelling it every day.

ive been wearing a hawk for going on 11 years. spiked it maybe three times in that time (for weddings mostly). keep the sides short and grow the top a bit and it will look good ALL the time;) IMGP0450.jpg

It's good to be back home. I even had a Quarter-Pounder while I was away, just for Butch. I'm freakin' whipped.

The blacktail deer in the coast range are small here also Stig. Average dressed between 100 and 175 lbs. I'm still working at the almond sheller. Doing a little tree job today after work (for a kind of hot black chick) and got a couple of people to call regarding bids. I have my DIL answering the business phone these days, but some people still call me on my cell phone. The almond harvest is approaching half way. We had a couple of rain days last week and some guys paniced and brought their almonds in with too much moisture. So they have to be dried. The sheller can dry about 60,000 lbs at a time (which is about a mornings run) and it isn't really set up to do it and be efficient. PLus the almonds are processed at about half the speed as when they are dry. Anyway, I'm kind of getting to where I dread my alarm clock. The good thing about the job is that by walking all day long I'm getting in real good shape. I also sneak off to the upper platform where the crackers are and do push-ups (they think I'm such a devoted shellerman that I have to check that equipment) 6 times a day. I'm sure I'll be found out sooner or later.

Speaking of which,what's an almond look like in the rough ? All I've ever seen is either in the shell or just the nut .Does it have a hull like a walnut or hickory nut ? For that matter I've never seen a whole pecan either .

We've got the black walnuts and of course the hickorys but nothing of real commercial value .Tasty yes but almost impossible to harvest with any rate of speed that I'm aware of other than a ball peen hammer or a vise .

Well you have to get the right sized hammer .A little 4 ouncer won't get it and an 8 pound sledge is over kill .Then the trick is hitting the nut not the fingers .Perhaps a pair of Channel Locks would be in order .

Well that would be an idea . Ha my mind does wonder at times .Talk of a nut cracker takes me back to days of a loose bicycle chain in my youth .:lol: Don't pay any attention to me I'm about half nuts anyway .

So far so good .One ash down and bucked .Not as good as I thought two 15's and a shorty 8-9 footer .

Coffee break then break out bigger artilley the next one is a three footer .

The crane operator called and made nice nice, after our little altercation a few days ago, so we were back to square again yesterday and will be today at the job. Water under the bridge. Why do people have to get tripped out on money? :roll:

Finished our job of 13 dead ash removals this morning in the rain. Had the log truck come in and buy all the wood off us so we didn't have to haul it all home. First time we used this guy but it worked out awesome.
IMG_0469.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0470.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice load of wood.

Did a Silver Maple removal and pruned another Silver maple today, and ground out two stumps. Gonna start working on an employee handbook/guideline type of thing, and some other stuff for the biz. One thing I've noticed working full time for Dad is that he's definitely not a business type person, so I'm gonna see what slack I can pick up, and see what I can talk him into, because we need to make some major changes here soon.

I didn't get 13 ash today but I got two .Both 100 footers . The pics are of the last one .

62 feet of saw log ,around 600 bd ft .The other one was probabley around 450 but I didn't scale it .Ha my poor old Fergusen had a hard time pulling those 16 footers . I had to steer it with the brakes because the front wheels kept coming off the ground .

Attachments

• 100 ft ash 003.jpg
    100 ft ash 003.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 100 ft ash 005.jpg
    100 ft ash 005.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 100 ft ash 007.jpg
    100 ft ash 007.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 46
It's just a hobby about like the saws . I have made a bunch of trim and some cabinetry from some I cut a few years back ,came out nice .Woodworking is another of my various interests also . Fact as soon as find the time I'm going to carve out a bunch of ash trim for Toms house .

As far as the ash goes,this is the swan song .Never in our lifetime will we see any large enough to make lumber from again .Get it now because it will be gone forever .:(

Back