How'd it go today?

'fixed' two more sections of snow damaged hedge today and raised the skirt of a linden. and yeesh, quite warm for these parts, went through lotsa water and took a bunch of little 5 minute cool down breaks. headed off to the arboretum soon to give a tour for a local garden club, on really short notice but heck, aint pressure fun? :)

oh FWIW that Linden was COVERED in honeydew (aphid excretion), aphids and hornets. literally dripping sap and raining it down on everything, what a sticky mess!

Not real good placement of the pool vs the tree. If that was a job I was doing, I'm fairly certain I'd be told to either cut down the tree or else elevate to 30' on the pool side.

Nice to see that some of our Northern brothers are a bit more tolerant of trees than the typical property owner around here.
:)

Oh, as far as today went: Last night I wasn't able to contact my job for this morning by phone, so I still didn't have an address. I'm normally out the door by 7:30am and on the job by 8. Starting later is tough due to the heat. The guy (a lawn guy) calls me at 8:45am to tell me that his crew was whipped from the heat yesterday and he never set up the tree job with his customer. I just told him to call me back whenever he got it set up. :roll: I like the guy but this isn't the first time he's done this. But this time he did it to me two days in a row! :what:

Decided to knock the dust off of my boat and try out that new rod and reel. Spent 3 hours on the water and managed to trick 2 bass into biting my offerings. The boat might need a little tuning up, it was idling a bit rough part of the time and actually stalled out on me once while I was shifting from forward to reverse. The fuel might be a bit stale also seeing as how I haven't had it out in over 2 months.

Today was chipping dead pine pitch canker pine's, that's some tough stuff to breathe.
Then we did lot's of maintenance in the afternoon. Greasing and lubing, etc.

Yesterday were 3 Euc removals, I had a nice 24 inch rigging spar fail.
The tree was almost 100 foot tall at almost a 50 degree lean off the road.
The truck pulling on the tag line was fine but the guy on the lowering line kept

holding tight for some reason and the spar failed, missed the bucket truck by inches.
I was in the bucket, made the cut, then backed out for the truck to drift it back about
60 feet to the road. That's when everything crashed.

In hindsight I sohould have had a shackle on a sling halfway up the tree. Next time. :)

Did a little vista pruning today in five Doug firs, blistering hot hit a 100 here today. In the first pic please note Bob's most excellent rope bag. Forgot to take any pics of the trees afterward:|: ,like I said frigging hot.

I'm glad to hear you're back in the trees fulltime, Squisher. I'm even happier to see you have a photographer on staff.

Today was chipping dead pine pitch canker pine's, that's some tough stuff to breathe.
Then we did lot's of maintenance in the afternoon. Greasing and lubing, etc.

Yesterday were 3 Euc removals, I had a nice 24 inch rigging spar fail.
The tree was almost 100 foot tall at almost a 50 degree lean off the road.
The truck pulling on the tag line was fine but the guy on the lowering line kept

holding tight for some reason and the spar failed, missed the bucket truck by inches.
I was in the bucket, made the cut, then backed out for the truck to drift it back about
60 feet to the road. That's when everything crashed.

In hindsight I sohould have had a shackle on a sling halfway up the tree. Next time. :)

wow thats a big spar to fail. was there any defects or just "to much" for it? scary thinking about that hitting the truck with you in the air:O

The problem was the fella lowering the piece into the truck's pull on the tag line held tight,
Thus ripping the spar right out. I just got very low in the bucket and waited to fall. HaHa.

Laugh now.

Hired a new climber yesterday. Woo hoo! We are really excited about him. He starts with us the first week of September. He is a Certified Arborist who is currently working for a large company that will stay unnamed. He's not happy with them and so is looking for something else. Hates being a number. He went and got his certification on his own and was frustrated there was no support from the company. I was surprised by that.

So, now we'll have 2 guys besides Tree Guy. His plan now is to take 3 days a week or so just to do the business stuff and only be on the job 2 days. I think we'll really see growth now.

so this is what greeted this am. just waiting for insurance approval.
the first you can see the broken stob over the roof.
the second youll see the broken pine to the left that hit the neighbors house a little and the broken spruce that landed in the yard.
the third you see the big pine from the first pic, then to the left youll see one leader broke out of another pine.

the 4th is the big pine top on the roof.
the 5th is the rest of the big pine top. its about 2 feet dia. where it broke

I'm on vacation. Where else can you take a weeks vacation every month and still make a living>?

Bodean "In hindsight I sohould have had a shackle on a sling halfway up the tree. Next time. " What for?
sotc gotta love nature getting it down for ya. Nice pics. Have you been running Jerrys saw?

Good work travels fast! Yesterday was my second little job at Predator Ridge golf course and today I got called by Hillview golf course. :D Actually just coincidence I'm pretty sure but heh works for me.

Funniest part is I really actually dislike golfing, but don't tell anyone.

Pruned a small "i dunno" tree this morning, then had to go save a local newbie. Guy buys a bucket truck and thinks he's a tree cutter. This one was out of his reach and he was scared to do it (didn't know how) over the roof. This is what I had to work with, got it done, no after pic tho.

Justin, as long as they let you drive your bucket truck up to the tree then it's a great gig!
:thumbup:

You're telling me dragging my arse around today stiff and sore :) a good feeling though.

Brendon the angle of your pic must be deceiving. It looks like if that truck in the left handside is any kind of a standard forestry set-up he should have plenty of boom for that tree? Man it's probably a blessing in disguise that I don't have anyone else I could call in otherwise I might never do any climbing. Actually I like the bucket but seem to make atleast as much if not more for the same time when I'm just climbing so to me it's harder but better money. And I find if I'm bidding against other companies around here anything that a bucket can reach goes cheaper than I like to wok for.

I think Brendon was saying that's the way the tree looked when he pulled up to the job. His truck may not be in position yet.

, then had to go save a local newbie. Guy buys a bucket truck and thinks he's a tree cutter. This one was out of his reach and he was scared to do it (didn't know how) over the roof. This is what I had to work with, got it done, no after pic tho.

I was assuming Brendon meant that he had to show up and climb the tree to finish a removal(I hope) cause the bucket wouldn't reach?

:?

Back