How'd it go today?

It's been a bonus for me for sure. Easier, physically for me, and I feel the pressure to run steady. We've taken one friday this spring at his request otherwise five days plus OT. Only reason I'm suffering a bit this year is I cashed in to get my new home last fall/winter. The taxman has come a calling and it's time to pay the piper. I'm not whining though, I knew it was coming.

Well, if you can keep up the pace you are rocking right now, the tax man probably won't be an issue. Write offs with the house next year?
Or is it different in Canuck land?

Yah write-offs for business use. I don't know how it works down there, but up here I sold a rental house and cashed in a good chunk of investments. So my income basically skyrocketed and now it's time to pay.

It was a calculated move, I'll be fine.

Well..................
I was sitting watching tv last night nodding off, "Hell, I'd better take advantage of this!" I laid down at 9:15ish and don't remember hitting the bed! I was up at 3:30am, but hey, I'll take six hours of solid sleep right now!
They called about my truck, first time they have called mind you, they got the wrong damn tool box. I got the extra deep box, they ordered a standard tool box. Supposedly, and I'm not holding my breath, it will be done tomorrow.
I took my frustrations out on the front yard. I drove my loaner to mom and dads then drove the tractor with tiller back. At 8mph, two miles sucks! Tilled for 30 min. and let it cool off 30 min., did that three times. The radiator has a pin hole in it, and my dad, being the tight ass he is, doesn't want to fix it!
The tiller he bought was AWESOME! Two passes in this hard ass clay, it was chopped like topsoil! Then Bubba and I went and bought, then mixed in, 150#'s of Gypsum, 50#'s of starter fertilizer and 40#s of tall Fescue, all put on the front yard. Then I went over that with an old boxspring behind the mower. The mini was too heavy, learned that the hard way earlier!
Something better grow!
The funeral is Saturday, I can't talk mom into waiting, and we have A. J.'s kindergarten graduation tomorrow, that I need to be at, and she wants to go up tomorrow. I don't like this, but what do you do?

Crappy day all around. Got a call this morning that a long time friend and aviation mentor passed last night; he was only in his 50's. Then some shithead spilled their can of soda on my 2 week old laptop.

Got a call from my secret contact at logging school.
He had a promising apprentise for me.

So today we had the guy in for an interview.

Since he said he wanted to be a climber, we decided to have the interview in the top of a large beech.

Might as well find out if he has the climber genes.

He did!

Went up in our old texas sit down rig with no problem ( we had him on a lowerable SRT line and a double rope as well, taking no chances) he even did a traverse in the tree( his comment was:" I'm sure glad, I brought some extra undies")

The guy did REALLY well.

Afterwards we climbed a nice pine and he made it up that one in fine style as well.

He also is in great shape( I always ask 3 questions when I talk to prospective apprentices on the phone: " Do you smoke, is your BMI over 26 and are you allergic to dogs" a yes to any of those, and you don't get an interview!)

He has a good sense of humour ( essential to survive in our crew) and a good understanding of the fact that logging is one of the hardest jobs out there.

He got himself a job.

No mean feat these days, since most young people have no work ethics, NOBODY here want's apprentices. The state pays any company $14,000 for each apprentice they school, and there is still no takers.

I like teaching logging skills to youngsters, but only if they are teachable.

Having my contact at the school pick out the best candidate of a class helps ensure that.

So I just sent him some pictures to show his classmates, how a real job interview is done

:D P1000532.JPG P1000536.JPG P1000539.JPG P1000547.JPG

You gotta be beat after that long hike!!!
I had a pretty good day landed some more work started the apt complex. One job is a removal of a spruce the size of a christmas tree and cleaning up some fence rows.

Sorry about your friend Erik, that sucks!
Nicely done Stig!
Went to Kindergarten graduation and a celebratory dinner, mama is making a big deal of this.
Got my truck back, couple of things the fixed I wasn't expecting, but the dash is covered in dust and some of the molding around the window doesn't look right. I'll see if it leaks and take it back but otherwise, I'm tired of these clowns and happy to have my damn truck back!

Yup, took all but 42 years, but dammit, I gots the diploma now! Teacher even said I was reading at first grade level! Got to work on my writing though.

Did some removals along a creek today, beavers had started the job for us. Finished them up into 10-15' snags with fracture cuts. No kidding, fracture cuts. The Europeans would be proud.

Nice find there Stig. I wish we had more incentive to mentor an apprentice in our country.

My day came and went.. Helped the HOs put out a fire in their just been weed whacked field :lol:
They asked me to start the small burn pile while I was doing the detail touch up in the field. Set the fire to back burn. I was done over there and needed to move on and informed them to watch it. The one gals office looks right out to the field. Welllllllllll ... She paid to much attention to a phone call instead of the fire. Wind shifted, it took off and ran across the ground. By the time Rob and I came running to the call (just 100 yards or so away out of sight of the burn) it had ran over 70 feet out of the pile and was on its way down the road :lol: Couple of hard rakes took care of it toot sweet. Needless to say, The HOs decided to baby sit the fire until it was about out. I asked the one.."Not gonna do that again are ya?"... "hell NO" was her reply. Got paid, scheduled a couple more days for some simple tree trimming and went home ot make mac and cheese :)

Someone here must have a pic of it? I didn't take any, it's like jagging up the snag so it's more 'natural' like for the wildlife.

I even had flushed two saws for the gig, cleaned 'em right out and ran vegetable oil. I'm a environmentalist I tell ya!

Back