How'd it go today?

"It was a dry reception(too many ex-alkys). They served light refreshments."

Damn, that's a bummer. The most memorable receptions (aside from my own)I've ever attended were in Minsk but those we're primarily due to the amount of alcohol combined with the slippery dance floors.

Realizing that we've yet to post an in-depth translation guide, "Bummer" is Yank for "Ah shit". As is "Oh no", not to be confused with "I needs to take ah shit", or more precisely: I feel the urge to evacuate my bowels.

Celebrating a matrimonial union without alcohol is like a vasectomy without getting any anesthesia. It isn't blessed nor consecrated.

Don't remember what I said, but I made a living making sure you could. That ain't politics though, that's reality.

I won the singles championship too. I'm wore out also. thanks Gigi....I think Butch was being a wise guy,considering his take on tennis.

Are you crazy? I love tennis! Have you seen Maria Sharapova???

Yeah, she's tough on the eyes... :love:

maria_sharapova_03.jpg

Nothing spectacular today,just more of my fall clean up.I did make an interesting comparrison,shown in one picture.The ash,hard as a baseball bat[pun intended] had 92 growth rings.The tulip poplar,soft as balsa,had 14,same size,18 inch.I don't burn this stuff but practice with my "tricked" chains.

The second stack will contain about 3 cords [6 by 5 by 12 ]when done.I did this over 2 1/4 in about 9 hours.Not bad for an old duffer.:P Both stacks,a shade over 9 cords,ha done for the year and it's only Sept.

Great pics and some industrious work there fer sure, Unc.

Being in Ohio ya better get all your Ash ring counting in whilst you can, cuz it could be not long before the borer's gonna get 'em. It's a sad thing, I saw the devastation in Michigan. I truly hope they don't reach you, but it's really close now. :(

From what I hear,E A B has been found in Auglaize county,which is about 15 miles south of here.So far,so good in this area.

I have only got a couple of ash trees here but big ones,around 90 feet.

That stump cut in the picture was one I tipped about six years ago.Some moron had topped two of them,one died.This one had a 20 foot"buggy whip", all that kept it alive.The last 19 growth rings fit in less than 1/2" .I did get some nice straight 20 foot lumber from it though.Total of 50 ft,a 20 and 3 10's plus another 15 or so as fire wood.

On a side note,when I dropped it,I miscalculated by about 5 feet.Smacked my own house with the buggy whip.:( Moral of the story,use the danged rope.

Ok, it's not even 11 AM, I have been to a job interview at International Paper. I was the first and only person to apply for the job, so far. I met one on one with the plant manager and blew him away with a good resume. :D

driver license renewal

The rules sure have changed since the last time I renewed my driver's license. Went down to the office today to renew since mine expires next month. The office that I went to last time (6 years ago) was closed. Back home to look up the new office location, went down and stood in line for the 'receptionist' who told me that the office was by appointment only and I had to call or go online to make an appointment. So I called the number he gave me on my cell phone and of course it was busy (for the next 3 hours, repeating every minute or two). Went home and got online to make an appointment. Had to provide waaaay too much information and got an appointment confirmation page that said in big red letters:
1. Bring a certified birth certificate or passport
2. Bring your social security card

Well, I have neither. So I started on a quest for a replacement SS card. Online again to find the local SS office. Phone was busy (of course) but it's only 3 miles away. Drove over and 2 armed guards were guarding the locked door. Opened it to ask if I had an appointment, I said no. They said there were too many people inside and to wait outside until there was room for me to come in and wait in line. 30 minutes later I was still outside so I left.

So I changed course and figured I'd try the birth certificate thing. Back online and found out that my birth state will not do the online thing. They require bringing or sending documentation to the records office for that town along with certified funds, blah blah blah.

So I ended up hiring an attorney to attack these issues. Who'da thunk renewing a driver's license could ever be so insanely difficult? Government is totally out of control. No wonder there are so many illegal drivers out there. Heck, no wonder there are so many illegal aliens out there! It's impossible to legally register with every single required agency without lots of time and money. I figure it's going to cost me $500 and 3-4 weeks just to gather all the necessary paperwork to continue driving legally. And I didn't even do anything wrong, just a simple renewal (of a Class B CDL).

Went to a one day school on the "rocket science" type stuff they use in modern manufacturing.The old dog new trick thing.

After work I replaced a starter drum in a little Mac,for a guy .

After that,perhaps split about 1/2 a face cord of ash.

I wonder what the deal is in Fla about drivers licenses.I got mine renewd in 2005 and didn't have to go through all that nonsense.I have a class A CDL.Perhaps the laws have changed???

I found out later that the info on the appointment confirmation form was incorrect. I finally got through on the telephone number and spoke with a live person who said the birth cert/ passport and SS card were not required for a renewal. However, I can imagine that one day I'll be in need of these papers (especially the way government is growing in a post-9/11 era) so I'm still going to pay the attorney to get those items for me. I'd rather go work in trees for a couple days than spend that time sitting in line or dealing with government clerks (who we all know are among the brightest, smartest and most engaging people on the face of the earth).

Back