How'd it go today?

Thanks...good info. Like anything well done, it's not all simple. Judgement of quality takes knowledge and experience. THanks.

Really, really impressive, Stig! I'd be done in, in 4 hours for sure, but all the rest too, the knowledge and skill you possess, just flat impressive.

Thanks.
Do a job for 40 years, if you don't get good at it, probably should have quit years ago:lol:

I was really impressed by the kid, he did 18 trees that first day, then spent the night bitching about getting a bad start or he could have made it to 20.
Gotta love that kind of spirit.

Just got in from 3 sales calls. Sold all three, plus I got a phone call confirming a fourth I bid the other day. Almost a full week's worth of work on the books in 3 hours, I'm a happy camper.

Just got done with nine hours in a steady rain. Everything is wet. I almost feel weird saying I want a shower because that’s what we got all day. The sun did pop out for a minute as the trucks were creeping into the shop. It’s gone again and I’m going to head home. It was a beautiful day.

I was out plowing all morning, until a high pressure oil line worked loose and blew its oring. Dumped eight litres of oil out of the 7.3 before I noticed it. Was still running like a top on the four or five still in it though. What a pita at 6:00am bought eight litres of gas station oil to limp it back home. Entire engine compartment soaked with oil. I actually had the proper vitron oring in my shop as well as the 3/4" wrench cut and shaved down to actually effect the repair without pulling off the fuel bowl or fuel lines. Cursing and swearing I willed it on and topped the oil up and headed out and finished my plow route. Miserable, but sort of a happy ending. I guess.

I got lucky today. In a sense. I keep a good supply of oring kits on hand for just such a probability. Every o ring on that motor nearly I have multiples of, just in case it springs a leak.

I got lucky today. In a sense. I keep a good supply of oring kits on hand for just such a probability. Every o ring on that motor nearly I have multiples of, just in case it springs a leak.

NO luck.

You got the consequence appropriate for preparation and elbow grease.

Today started pretty well.

Wind blowing like hell, so I decided to head out a little early and load the pickup with safflower.

Could not get up to Dad's to load....so I skipped it.

Headed out to see how bad the roads were for Jenn and the bale pickup.

Made it about two miles down the south road and spotted a pickup in the distance. Obviously stuck.

Could not tell if the outfit was occupied. Could not drive to it.

Went home to get my tractor and go check it out. Richard boy with me, Lynley and Daniel with Jenn.

Took an hour and a half to dig my way to the stranded pickup. Three college kids out for a drive.

They had called 911 because they were stranded....in a blizzard.....miles from anywhere. 911 dispatcher told them to call a tow truck!!!!!!

Still a little pissed off about that.

Got them dug out and pointed towards town and got a call from the wife.

I had told her not to take any chances getting out south. If it looked bad just turn around and come home.

Well, she said she was stuck where the cows were....and the road getting out there was okay. Single lane at times but okay.

She was wrong. The road was terrible and closing fast.

I was a bit short by the time I got her pulled out, twice.

Got extra hay fed and headed north to for groceries and home.

Really terrible roads and then we saw a tractor! Cool!

No, not cool. The tractor we saw was on a trailer, pulled by a pickup that was stuuuuuuuck.

We helped him dig for a while and get his chains on. No luck.

So we unloaded his tractor and he went to digging.

Got the pickup and trailer out of the drift, so he went south with the tractor to keep digging a trail so he could get home.

I sent the wife and kids on ahead, so I could wait and help the tractor guy.

He pulls out several people and gets a trail dug. About that time the State snow plow showed up!

Snow plow goes to work so we loaded his tractor and bullshitted while we waited for the State to open the road.

State snow plow gets stuck! Faaaaaaack.

We got him pulled out after some effort and away he went again...this time not taking so much of a bite.

I was satisfied that my friend with the tractor would make it so I backed out and went home.

Just got home a little bit ago.

We were going to get our chores done early and go visit a neighbor. Been trying to visit them since new years.

Its either a blizzard or a trip to the emergency room.

Wow Jim, I hope one day the people round there realize what an asset you are!!

Saturday, raining, dodged raindrops to reduce endweight on a split Gleditsia branch, got a call for a fallen Euc branch in the next town...$60 cash...went to a friend's cafe for an all day breakfast, eggs, bacon sausages...just chillin' reading the paper when BBZZZZZ...pager goes off, road crash rescue on the switchbacks coming down from the highlands...30mins with lights and sirens...(geezzz why don't people pull OVER!!!) two oldies didn't make the bend and collected a tree, front right hand quarter. Not ONE airbag went off!! Front, side curtain, seat side, nothing! They were sore and bruised and shocked but otherwise ok, ambos took them off to hospital. Traffic control only, didn't get to cut anything.

... They had called 911 because they were stranded....in a blizzard.....miles from anywhere. 911 dispatcher told them to call a tow truck!!!!!!...

You are a good man, Jim. Likely saved their lives.

Speaking of blizzards and massive amounts of snowfall got me thinking of lemons and lemonade. Knowing how dry things will get latter in the year, is there any location on your property that would benefit from a bulldozed, man-made mountain of snow? Hell, build it big enough and the kids would have a blast whether it helped add to your stored water supply or not.

Back