How'd it go today?

Great news on the eye surgery Butch :)

I do a lot of roadside work, but I prefer a line to back it up. I'm not logging at the moment though & have the luxury of time

Its a Champion 740. Made in Canaderp dont ya know!

It has a 8 speed GearCo powershift and a L10 Cummins.

Dad and I rebuilt the engine several years ago.......after quite a bit of engine trouble. Long story there!

Plugged in that tractor will start at 40 below. Not even two revolutions of the starter.

In my many years of working on Cummins engines, I have found the simple overhead adjustment to be critical to how well the engine starts.

I think thats why a lot of people dont like Cummins. With an older Cat motor you only had to worry about the valve adjustment...and the book was very specific on how they were to be adjusted.

Cummins has always been more vague. No one knows for sure if the engines should be timed fast slow or normal.

The overhead is more about "feel" than it is correct specs. Also knowing that if you want injector crush to be at 75 inch pounds...you have to stop a little before. When you tighten the lock nut you will add crush.

You have your own champion grader! Damn, you are the man Jim!

Sunny and cold here today. Everything is froze right up again.

That’s cold.

Funny situation on Friday. We’ve had a quiet time of it lately so the hiredman and I have been doing some maintenance and stuff.

He mentioned that the stump grinder(rayco rg35) throttle cable was stiff (which I had noticed) and was going to take it off and spray some wd40 in both ends which he duly did. We then flipped the anvil on the chipper and that was that.

Friday we did some grinding and the machine blew us away, clearly the cable had not been opening the throttle properly but the deterioration had been so gradual that I hadn’t noticed or put it down to blunter teeth or getting too familiar with it

It’s like a new machine, an extra 10hp.

Silly story really, but the wife doesn’t seem interested, and I had to tell someone!

Mick, i guess it is like the feeling when you buy a new saw, even though the old one is still running ok, and realize it had lost a lot of power, but you never noticed, because it happened gradually.

Richard and I did a weekend job for the travel fund today.

An old ( Literally and figuratively) client wanted his long Hawthorn hedge cut about a foot down.
He can't manage to reach up and cut it any more.

That was a hard one to cut straight, as the ground was very uneven.
Ended up using a laser and setting spray paint points for every 3 m2eters.
With a little readjustment cutting in the end, it turned out fine.

I hate loading hawthorn, shit goes clear through leather gloves.

But that job will buy us a few days in California, so I'm not complaining.
Funny, how much difference that makes to me to be working for something like that , instead of just money for the company.

I hear ya , Mick

Jim, what bird were you talking about there that needs gravel to digest their food with?

Where I'm at we can be like around freezing to about 15 below or up to 5ish above(Celsius of course I don't know why you knuckle draggers cling to the F). It's much more pleasant at -10 than right around freezing or just above I find. I much prefer to stay dry. But much colder than -15 or so starts to get miserable too. Sounds Jim like you're well within the bundle up and don't look for to much extra exposure temperatures. Stay warm.

Still jealous of that grader. You've got quite the collection of iron.

That's a heavy anchor with that arsenal. Having your own ability to work on things too though, that's nice. I find that fulfilling myself, fixing stuff or adding value to things through repairs. And if you boil it down to its essence. Chicks dig it. :D

Back