How'd it go today?

Or maybe this is a big story? From the picture it sorta looks like Mick lipped off to the wrong Frenchman.

Tells his wife he was stung by a bee...out of shame. Sends him to the hospital....by this time he is in too deep.

At least that is how the conversation would turn at the Mint. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Got a new hire on our crew last week, said he had a epi-pen in his pocket and showed us how to use it incase he wasn’t able to. I asked him what happens if he gets stung, he said convulsions and such. I asked him if he’d mind if I let him go long enough to video him flopping around and chit. He asked for a transfer to another crew, go figure.

As far as epi goes, if you need it you need it right bloody now.

Read about a nurse that did not want to spend the money on a pen....so she just got a jar of adrenalin and a syringe.

They found her dead in a hotel room with the syringe in one hand and the adrenalin in the other.

Scary stuff.

She didn't figure the dose right? Pretty easy to figure if it is the same as animal grade we used to use. 1ml/100lbs. $2. Don't know how they can rape the public on the price like they do. Adrenaline-epinephrine is the same stuff, right?

She was allergic to dust mite dander. Apparently the hotel room was a bit ratty.

Anaphylaxis set in so fast that the medical examiner figured she was conscious for less than a minute.

There are different levels of reaction of course....but when it's fast it's real fast.

Be careful Mick.

Should have opened the door and called for help. People sometimes forget to/ mentally can't summon help, especially in a panic.

Nothing to figure, guy knows a twat when he sees one.

Nothing to figure, guy knows a twat when he sees one.

Nothing to figure, guy knows a twat when he sees one.;):lol:

I'm poor on conveying my intentions sometimes (frequently possibly) in text (possibly otherwise, at times). I forget to use emojis to help convey my sentiment.

I think you can see the difference between the two statements above.

If you wrote that second one to me, I'd have laughed.

Good day with decent new fill-in guy.

Thought I'd heard it all. He's 37, 35 or something, and has had 5 heart attacks. First one at 27. Stress related. He's done some climbing. I don't think I want a guy like to keel over on my jobs.

That tops the fill-in storm laborer who wanted do ground work. He failed to mention at the outset that he was doing physical therapy 6 times a day from a snowboarding related broken back.

Thank god for machinery.

Sean...I don't know why, but you seem to be a magnet for the unsuitable/incapable/scary bad groundies.

I think there has to be a better pool than you have been swimming in, but of course, I could be totally wrong in that perception.

You may need to cultivate your hidden badass boss persona in interviewing prospective employees.

:D

Not much different up around my parts. I have 18 phone numbers for people who want to do tree work, no one shows up. I called about a dozen yard clean up "companys" thinking I can make the mess and they haul it away, not one showed. I try to work with other tree hacks like me, some had a small load of brush they left on their custys front lawn, I offered to pick up and dispose for a fee, they said "great! Lets do it" and never send me the address.

Any day labor services near you, Peter? The company pays the worker's comp, taxes, background checks. A way to get a grunt for a rare occasion. Not likely a diamond in the rough.

Sean...I don't know why, but you seem to be a magnet for the unsuitable/incapable/scary bad groundies.

I think there has to be a better pool than you have been swimming in, but of course, I could be totally wrong in that perception.

You may need to cultivate your hidden badass boss persona in interviewing prospective employees.

:D

I'm curious how much the state government jobs affect the local labor pool.

I'm always curious where people find their best employees. I asked on TB, basically heard everyone sucks. No stories of a good guy shared.

How much is expectable nonsense from a laborer? How much should I suck up and deal with dangerous employees.

Part of how I find good clients (at least in my mind) is that during the bid, I emphasis safety on the crew and professionalism.

A potential customer asked me what I thought of a competitor's strategy, being in a crew of 6 guys to hump rounds out, individually after they are bombed into a bed of brush in a tight space. The didn't need to take down the power line, which concerned him, regarding his power mast. The service drop was 3" from the trunk. Could they do it with the line in place?

I said of course they could do it with the line in place. They can get up on it and dance, too. Might get electrocuted. I'm not going to do it.

We had a back and forth, about 5 times I had to say, "No, the service drop is weather coated. Its to protect the wires and keep them from touching. Not electrical insulation for people. I've stood on a deck and felt the electricity go through a dogwood that was touching the service drop 10' away on the trunk."

"oh."

"ya, the boss never gets electrocuted to death from climbing a tree when he's standing over there, on the ground, away from the tree, drinking coffee, cracking the whip. Boss never falls to his death from a tree while standing over there chatting with the customer."

He repeated that back and chuckled. "The boss never falls to his death from the ground."

But he's been in business 20 years.

Also they were going to pile branches for a pad where there was lots of landscaping. I told the customer that nothing will make it through that bombing. They will offer to plant another tree, out of their inflated bid, based on deceiving the customer. There was barely a walkway, limbs were upto 20' long. 20" x 80' hemlock.

I'm bidding to speedline it all down to the open spot with easy enough access for truck and chipper, and not bring out ex-felons, the itchy and scratchy brothers.

I have a two time customer. He used me once years ago. He called me again for a tall alder over the garage. In between, he had a guy OD in the driveway, after doing the job wrong, which took him all day, with his buddy, and "their women".

True story. Quintessential dirtbag tree guys.

Back