How'd it go today?

I get bored if I have more than a week off without work. I can relax but only in short spurts and then I need to get up and do something productive. My idea of retirement is working 1 day per week as long as I can still climb up into the bucket and hold a chainsaw.

Of course what seems like fine times for one of us will not be so for all.

I am never bored. For me, being productive can be something as simple as pulling the wheel liners on the Jag and making sure no rust encouraging dirt and leaves have accumulated :). Getting paid isn't part of the equation.

I also very seldom sit and do nothing. But reading an interesting book is never boring to me. That might seem like sitting and doing nothing to some, I understand that :).

Mick, I had the same story as yours, less violent though. I had a painful shoulder and can't move my left arm up, not only by the pain, but the muscles just didn't want to work beyond one point. I needed to take my arm with the other hand to pull it up. It wasn't possible to open a window or take some grass seeds in a bucket held in front of my chest. Very worried about my future in tree work.
One day, I made some concrete to replace a stair at the basement. Ouchy day to begin with. I needed to threw the concrete about 6 or 7 feet away. But the concrete was sticky and didn't want to live the shovel so easily. I sent the load away and pulled back hard the handle, hoping that the jerk would suffice to empty the shovel. It did, barely. Actually, the concrete pulled almost harder than me, trying to keep the shovel with it and my arm followed the handle. I won though, keeping my arm and the shovel. But what a pain in the shoulder !
I managed to do that tree times before changing my position, treating myself with some chosen words. I can be slow minded sometimes.
The evening was hard with a very sore shoulder, but I felt that something was different than the usual pain.
In a few days, the pain decreased and some weeks after I was able to use my arm correctly.

I thought that was a bone disorder in the knuckle like a spike and the jerk broke the thing (no medical investigation of course). My idea was that if two small areas in the knuckle are damaged, one by the spike and the other because it as the broken base of he spike, it can't do well if both are facing together. So I tried to put the knuckle in an unusual position to have each damaged area in front of a good one. That's what I figured out, maybe it isn't the actual thing. In bed every night, I put my right arm overhead and fell asleep like that to got at least some time in this position. The arm wasn't very happy because the blood doesn't flow well in this position, but it seems that the shoulder appreciate it.
It took months to heal completely and to return in "silent mode".

Maybe one year after, the left shoulder began to annoy me the same way. No jerking motion this time, but only the arm (arms actually) over head in the bed. It took more time to normalize but that worked again.
Now it's fine. I can climb as I want, the shoulders don't say a thing.
And I often fall asleep still with the arms overhead. I find that as a relaxing position now.

I feel a whole lot better.

That cold is kicked.

Kicked some butt on today's job. Had a good interview with a guy looking for work on top of his full-time plumbing work, at the end of the day, or between plumbing projects. An extra guy at the end of the day for two hours could be great. He's been through trade school, so trained that there are specific right ways to do some things, safe ways to do things, good hazards to avoid, etc. Has a little kid to go home to. Only 22 y.o., wanting to make as much money as he can to support his family.

That tongue and groove cut is really nice. It keeps pressure off the limbs, and keeps them from getting trapped under the falling bole for the most part (dead and dying, small dog-hair doug-firs). I didn't have anything to straddle, like a deck or shrub, which is its other attribute. Easy to do more of a 6-point limbing technique. Make the tongue long. I bored in below the tongue on an angle. Not sure if necessary. Seems like it could prematurely break the hinge if cut flat.

European summer work-cation!!

Dahlia has a New saddle now, too.

Time to pass on Haley's to the next kid. I was thinking of Gabrielle, perhaps, if she's interested.

High-centered the mini on a stump at the end of the day. I wanted to fight it, but thought better of it. High-lift jack should help. I can cut the rotten-ish stump out from under machine if I can get the machine up a bit, without overturning it.

He says he really wants to learn to climb trees. We'll see.

I just like having a pool of people I might call, particularly if a storm hits.

A guy I know asked me for some work last I saw him, but he was out of town working, presently.
I'm going to ask around through another friend.

The State Employment Security Department (unemployment and such) has a job placement program, paid by tax dollars, and there are Tax Incentives for hiring Vets and long term unemployed (applicable) and people with disabilities (not so applicable).

I am never bored. For me, being productive can be something as simple as pulling the wheel liners on the Jag and making sure no rust encouraging dirt and leaves have accumulated :). Getting paid isn't part of the equation.

I also very seldom sit and do nothing. But reading an interesting book is never boring to me. That might seem like sitting and doing nothing to some, I understand that :).

Not at all, you’ve done you shift, time to do what you like, when you like.

Skwerl2 and SeanKroll, the tree is about 25m tall at a guess and I could probably set the pull line through a fork at about 20m. I am looking at scarfing it up about 3m from the base and the top anchor point is about 40cm diameter base is 50-60 at a guess, True base is 70-80cm. Dead pine 1.jpg Dead pine 2.jpg My concern is that due to is having a slight back lean that if it goes south it will take out the mains power lines and block the road until I can remove it with the tractor. I am definitely going to use wedges as extra insurance. my pull rope is 22mm diam and 45m long with a 2.9T safe work load limit 1:5

Yes, all the limbs are on the back side. Good news is that they don't weigh much (compared to green limbs) so it's not anywhere near as imposing as it might look. Should come over easily with a rope in it. You only need to tip it 5 degrees or so and then gravity will do the rest.

I've never owned a television, so most evenings when the cooking and chores are done, I fall head first into a good book.
Logging ( And climbing for that matter) keeps me in good physical shape.
When I retire, I'll have to spend lots of time in a gym in order to stay in shape.
I never liked gyms much, so much easier to keep on logging.
Hell, I even get paid to do that.

If you've never owned a TV, how do you know you don't like it?

I'm sure when radio first came out there were plenty of people who thought sitting around and listening to the radio was foolishness.

Same with the Model T... probably the same when the wheel was invented!

I've lived in this cave my entire life and I never needed this "wheel" thing! Stoopid!

The stuff they send here is moronic.
Talent shows and "reality" shows.

I'm sure I miss out on some good movies and series, but I've always liked book a lot, so I don't miss having anything else.

Attacked by bees for the second time this summer, had a bad reaction this time, itching all over, lowered blood pressure, swollen throat.

I?ll have to carry an Epi pen from now on according to the quack.

Attachments

• 89253349-B885-4514-970C-5C7AE50AFAEA.jpeg
    89253349-B885-4514-970C-5C7AE50AFAEA.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 36
That sucks.

You need to keep epi-pens from getting too hot or too cold.

When backpacking, we had them in toothbrush holder tubes, like a pendent on a cord necklace, kept in our shirts to keep them from getting too cold. An insulated container in the truck might work great for your purposes. I don't recall the temperature range for storage.

I got cat prednisone from my friend who does cat rescue when I got stung at her house and my face swelled a lot. Did wonders. Same as human prednisone.
I'm going to keep it in the truck, insulated, next summer.

Epi-pens are intense, I think. If you need it you need it. If you can get by without, its maybe better.

Epi-pens wear off somewhat quickly.

Prednisone is not without its drawbacks.

Two tools in the tool box might be better than one.

Epi-pens probably rarely malfunction, but, when you need an epi-pen, you NEED it.

Back