How'd it go today?

Got one of the farming tractors loaded up and ready to go.

Going to haul it about 120 miles and go help a buddy for a couple of days. He farms 1400 acres by himself. That would not be so bad, but he lives in the town just to the north of me. So he has to drive 100 miles from his house to his farm.

Any little thing goes wrong, and he has lost the day. Couple years ago he bought a real nice 325 horse Steiger Panther. Then he blew it up. So I posted the pictures of the 875 Versatile tractor I hauled down for him.

He is really behind, both in his farming and finances. So, I am going to go pull a disc or a tool bar for him for a few days.

We are pretty close, and have known each other for quite a while. Young Daniel is named for his older brother that died several years ago.

What the hell, I have my cash crops in, calves are branded and cows on grass. Dad is seeding some cover crops now, and I moved my excavator to a leak in the pipeline that the fellow that dug it in will fix Thursday.

Still need to do some spraying, but it can wait I guess.

Head down there tomorrow morning.

Thanks! Got a link for purchasing it?

Its gonna be a gift w/ purchase of however much.

We miss your input, Nick.

Very much so! :(

I wish I had more time to spend on the forums, all I ever do is work anymore and I have my face buried in a spreadsheet or a cell phone more often than anything now. Running an arborist retail business is kinda like running a tree care business, it might be about tree care, but at the end of the day its just running a business.

Anyone want to talk about cardboard boxes and the cost difference between double wall 18" cube boxes versus single wall boxes? Or whether or not we should use single wall boxes for shipments < 500 miles? Or whether or not we even have room to stock 2 different wall thickness 18" boxes? Or whether the box packers can even make the decision to use the right box? Or what we should do when we run out of 18" boxes?

This is my life now! Dont get too sad for me, I'm still loving life but adapting to new challenges and such. Ill work up a full update and drop it in the other forum here.

Believe it or not, while I don't want to discuss the merits and drawbacks of shipping containers, to hear that one's job involves a lot of complexities I never considered is sorta interesting. Packability is a significant part of our global economy. Its sorta like watching Dirty Jobs in a way, that makes me have a little look outside my cave into challenges I'd not faced. I don't know what would fill the blank, _______ Jobs.

Your participation does put human connection to the supplier end of things. I liked that splicing challenge. Individuals and pro company splicers got to work the same challenge. You guys got to show off some of your employees and their talents. That's cool.

I bought an auction truck today. Former WA State truck. Basic interior. Outside pretty clean. Cruise, AC, AM and FM.
2004 F350 crew cab with a tool box type work canopy. 102k. 5.4 gas engine. SRW. A long time coming. My first truck, another State surplus truck, is a half-ton has done a lot of work, but always been too light-duty for towing. Been rolling in that for 10 years.

I have nearly the same truck. 2003 f350 5.4. I've had it for almost a decade and only dome brakes, fuel pump once, and plugs and coils once. It's been a fantastic truck. I hope yours treats you as well. Congrats!

A picture for Mick.

IMG_0714.jpg

That's a good looking Dog Squish. (Nice truck too)

Video from yesterday.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BAN53ViWd64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Took my daughter and the two other kids who qualified in for their district track and field meet. My daughter came up fifth in high jump but unfortunately for her her sprints got cancelled as the skies opened up.

I was a pretty proud papa again, only girl from her school to qualify. Mostly I'm proud though of how she participates. No fear of trying her hardest, and no hangups about where she places. She goes out, gives it her all and is happy to have just done it. :)

Craziest part of the day was right at the end. Lightning struck a power pole within probably 100m of the event. Showstopper. Everyone basically fled at that point. Lol.

Nicely done Sam.

Been kind of goofy since I have been back from Colorado.
Took down three of these (you can see the other two dead right behind it) when I got back. All over a spring, a class two creek and some understory to be saved.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GBD2hCXxtEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Then this week we have mostly been slaying live trees:|:
Took down a 40" DBH valley oak that was about 65 foot high today and kept the logs as well.
Let Mike throw this spar from a live oak at a place we did 7 on.
All the wood from the larger oaks went to our mill at home.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sB2FCishalk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I didn't realize how big a chunk of top that was until I saw it fall....couldn't find the climber at first. Good drop there.

Lots of dust when Mike dropped that spar...looks pretty dry there.

Today more live trees now less some mistletoe. Next week, really dead oaks:|:
This showed up. Application needs to go in next.....

Attachments

• tmp_17150-20170601_212850138851016.jpg
    tmp_17150-20170601_212850138851016.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 26
Back