How'd it go today?

Congrats, John!

Today all I had was cleaning up a limb blown down in a storm yesterday. Had a blowout on the trailer on the way there. Found a shop where I could leave the trailer and drive home for my spare, jack and impact wrench. Got back and swapped the tire, then headed to the job. Got to the job about 10am. Finished and headed to the tire store across town to replace the blown tire and my spare (it's really old and dry rotted). At some point my jack fell off the truck and is gone. I had a strap on it but it obviously bumped loose and came unhooked.

So I spent 5.5 hours today to do a $200 job. Drove well over 100 miles, spent $400 on tires and lost a $100 jack. I would have been better off turning down the job and staying home.

Oh well. I have work tomorrow and a $3000 job on Friday. It will average out.

Jeez us Brian. Stop by later I'll beat you with a stick for a bit to complete the day. :D

Hope the rest of your week goes smoothly.

I'm actually turning wheels four days this week for chimney work. Who'd have thought it? Seems it could come quite steady from here through the fall. Last year I started getting busy by mid to late August. Apparently I'm the only sweep in town who's answering or returning calls? Don't want to jinx myself, but because of this i believe a couple of stove shops in town that sell/install but don't clean or like to inspect old or other installs are giving out my name exclusively now?

Regardless it sure feels good to be getting a little busier again.

Maybe stop by the stove shops with a dozen donuts or something one morning and say hello. If they are giving out your name then you can let them know how much you appreciate it. If not, it would make for a nice introduction.

Congrats, John!

Today all I had was cleaning up a limb blown down in a storm yesterday. Had a blowout on the trailer on the way there. Found a shop where I could leave the trailer and drive home for my spare, jack and impact wrench. Got back and swapped the tire, then headed to the job. Got to the job about 10am. Finished and headed to the tire store across town to replace the blown tire and my spare (it's really old and dry rotted). At some point my jack fell off the truck and is gone. I had a strap on it but it obviously bumped loose and came unhooked.

So I spent 5.5 hours today to do a $200 job. Drove well over 100 miles, spent $400 on tires and lost a $100 jack. I would have been better off turning down the job and staying home.

Oh well. I have work tomorrow and a $3000 job on Friday. It will average out.

Damn, tough break! Sounds like you've got your head screwed on right tough. I know people who would have a total meltdown after a day like that!

Maybe stop by the stove shops with a dozen donuts or something one morning and say hello. If they are giving out your name then you can let them know how much you appreciate it. If not, it would make for a nice introduction.

Not a bad idea. I've already introduced myself a couple of times. But I never brought donuts! Everyone likes donuts.

I like stories like this :drink:

And great idea re the donuts and stove shops, or of course, any shops in most any line of work.

Just broke the bell housing on a C-6 tightening the bolts down marrying it to the block. frig!
Tranny aint more than 18 months old.
So sick of being a friggin' mechanic these days I wanna just bow my head and let tears flow.
No trucks working yet, I got nothing.
I can't friggin' catch a break.
I can't make a friggin' living this way.
I really need to get the frig out of California.

Yeah, it gets to you sometimes, but in the end you've got to sort it all out. Can't ask your Dad to do it, like when your bicycle had a puncture.

As Butch says, have a drink, go to bed, start at the beginning.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RCrixbXz4rc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have not used this product, but its a pretty impressive video. Have read some pretty favorable reviews.

Could weld it with a spool gun, tig would be better.

Dad could probably weld it with aluminum stick rod.

Nice thing about a bell housing is that it is not oil soaked. It will have some impurities, but is definitely weldable.

Back