How'd it go today?

I don't know if anyone's wondered at all, but my fencing gig went pear shaped. So I've let it be.

Funnily enough the day of the last meeting I had with them my full WETT cert for chimney sweeping showed up. Maybe a sign?

Anyways not sure what to take away from the whole thing with the fence stuff except that maybe I'm not employable at this point? To many years being in charge of my own destiny to play well with others I think.

Justin, I've been wondering.
How much fencing experience could you actually offer them?

Not a lot. Done my own fences but never worked at it as a job. Was right upfront about that from the get go and they weren't concerned. It was mor management skills they were looking for.

I was starting to get the run around, and then they said they weren't really were they needed to be to offer the job we had discussed so........ I left it at well call me if you'd like to discuss it in the future. End of story so far.

That was kind of weird.
Not the sort of company, I'd choose to work for, I think.

So you never even got a chance to start? If that's the case then don't sweat it. I highly doubt you'd ever go hungry due to lack of employment. You will probably make more money doing your own thing anyway, without the headaches.

Yah it never flew at all. So I'm just re-focusing on chimneys as it soars to 100degrees here for like the tenth day straight. Lol.

I'm not sweating it, it was appealing to me to work with a crew and get out and about more. But wasn't meant to be.

That's what I'm thinking... don't get too big too fast.

There are only so many chimneys around to sweep!

I think I'll always be a one man band when it comes to sweeping. To much potential to fork up someone's house. Kind of like treework in that regards. Don't be caught sleeping.

No air filters or nothing. And unfortunately we have to open all the windows/doors at night otherwise we'd never sleep. So yah everything we own is gonna smell like a campfire.

I'm just thankful we're not on fire here. A lot of neighbouring areas are getting lit right up.

That's a good idea, Butch.

Maybe upsize this...https://www.chewy.com/van-ness-auto...fWYao6HCAUfCQ60yIEzljRoCL6bw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

How does this work? Does negative pressure keep the water from pouring out?
That's it.
The jug is sturdy enough to sustain a differential pressure inside/outside. A plastic bag doesn't work for that (actually it does but with a very very little amount).
It's a matter of balance between the air pressure plus the water height of both the outside and inside of the jug. When the pet drinks the water, the outside level gets to zero and there's only the atmospheric air pressure on the outside at the communication point. Inside, it's the same global pressure, but divided between the air and the water's height. The water's weight drags it toward the bottom. So the inside air pressure is less than the outside, sucking the water up.
If the pet drink enough to uncover the gap, the air can find its way toward the inside while the water tries to flow out. A bubble appears inside and goes up, rising the (negative) pressure. That allows some water to go out, decreasing the water's weigh/heigh to recover the balance point.

If there's only a tiny hole as the entrance point, all stays put because the air doesn't have enough room to push the water aside. No air can come in and no water can come out as is.
Then, one way to get water is to decrease the external pressure by sucking at the hole. The pressure inside becomes higher relatively and pushes the water out. You just got the principle of the feeding bottle.
There are some other ways, like blowing in the hole, shacking or squeezing the bottle, rising the temperature ...

You can get as big a jug as you want, many cubic meters, it doesn't change the principle. The onliest limitation is the water's height : it isn't allowed to go over 10 meters. But that would give you some margin, even for the cows.
Don't forget the sturdy thing to make an overseized model. Even a small pressure can create some massive forces.
Beside that, some trials are required to find the right size for the gap and get enough flow for a bunch of thirsty cows.

I saw my old business roll by the farm this morning. I don't envy them humping it out in the smoke and heat that's for sure.

Looks like the only thing that's been updated is a brand new dodge diesel crew cab to pull the dump trailer. Just what every new business owner needs. A hefty truck payment.

I almost feel like calling to ask what's happened to the old ghetto truck. Y'all know the one. For me it was awesome as a second chip truck(dumped), ran on propane which is cheap here. Old so insurance was cheap. And you didn't have to worry about scratching it.

Not to mention it was classy as all hell!

IMG_0437.JPG

SO I went for a familiarization outing for a Tasmania intermediate fallers ticket (non-commercial). I need to get one to satisfy the Council for their WH&S.
Trees have to be 30cm minimum, but usually much bigger.

I can fall small trees, I can fall bigger trees with thin bark, I've fallen broken trees and trees from the top down, but I have to say, getting stuck into large Eucalypts is a bit different!
The first big difference was the thickness of the bark, I have never had to deal with trees with bark like that before, my 'normal' way of falling, diagonal cut first, fairly wide face did not get me anywhere deep enough for a good sized face into actual wood...then, they want you to do the bottom cut first and stand off the back of the handle, not lean against the tree like I'm used too.
Fair enough, I had been thinking that doing the top diagonal first was going to lead to problems...a big face means a big wedge which is going to drop down and pinch my chain...
Then they want the face to be fairly deep, apparently some species of Euc are very free splitting (read prone to barberchair) so they want the back cut in pretty fast.

Once I'd been corrected, the next two I did were much better, bush setting, falling trees brushing past others, at least two left widowmakers aloft after falling. Matching the top cut with my bottom cut is going ok, just have to tidy the far side as the 20" bar doesn't quite make it all the way...
I have to go back out next Friday for some more instruction, then fingers crossed get a few good ones down and get the tick in the box.

Eye opening, they are definitely commercial felling oriented, different types of trees too. Learning some new stuff.

Back