How'd it go today?

They do old friend. Just good to remember we all go through times like these. Vent a little here, get it out.
Putting animals down kind of does a number on me anymore.

Had a few thousand friends drop in on me unexpectedly yesterday.

Arranging for a permanent home for them today, with far more acreage n blooms to buzz around.

Must be a heavy responsibility, being a queen with that many followere.

Gonna have to break out my bee suit tonight.

Jomo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 44
I have a close friend with lots of acreage that wants them, and has been a beekeeper for decades.

Won't be the first time we've worked together to make sure the hives I run across find a good home.

Jomo

That's cool. I have bees on my property that I let a beekeepe keep here. About 20 hives. He said a bunch of them were getting ready to swarm. He's actually out there working on them right now. Expanding I think,making more room.

Bees are cool. I craned a couple of beehives off on a big willow job once and lined up with a beekeeper to drop the logs off. It was super cool.

IMG_0840.JPG

It's cool watchin Bob work his smoker bellows, slowly extricating the queen and gently placing her in a clean box, after sunset, when the hive's got the most bees in it. A day or two later, takin the box home to a new home.

Very good karma, excellent ju ju!

Jomo

Ole Bob didn't fool around tonight.

Smoked em, shook em outta the bush n into a breathable box, then hightailed it home with em!

Took less than half an hour.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 30
Good work fellas!

Did something new that I hadn't thought of before, while snapcutting or undemining COG on maple short logs...Go from the back cut, locking the chain brake, saw turned off, and extended my reach to tip the log by using the bar tip. A lot of extra reach, and bit more momentum. Easy. Everything dropped as needed.

Chinese lady tried to add on about 3 extra hours of work upon arrival today. Was quite a drive to the job, and I had Dave with me at $300. I said I'd have to increase the cost....she refused to accept it. I worked for her before, so wasn't surprised at her tactic. She looked surprised when I said goodbye, and drove off. Thankfully we were able to drop on another job to salvage the day.

The previous day I took out a big fir for a contract climber, who'd scored the job but wanted me to do it. Honestly, treework often feels so easy it's like I'm not even working. Feel like I'm weightless at the moment. I'm definitely ready for some time away....I've been getting really bored with it off late.

Chris, did you mark north on the log with the native bees as in an article that I read in arbor age you are supposed to mark the direction. native bees are so much friendlier than the European bees.

It's the start of the May long up here. It's the first real long weekend of the year for doing outdoor pursuits. Typically the weekend people go camping, plant a garden, go boating, or pretty much any spring/summerish pursuit for the first time.

It's also the first nice weather we've had in ages. I'll be horseback riding a bunch myself. Far from my first time though. I've been averaging about five days a week of riding, sometimes a little more. For any that followed my roping and lameness issue I had with my beasts last year. Well we haven't been roping much. My wife's shoulder is buggered, and so swinging a rope is about the worst thing for it. So mainly we've just been riding/training our horses, trails and arena work. I still swing a rope a bit and I've worked my yellow horse a bunch on the dummy and stuff. But to expensive and to much commitment to head out for live roping practices 2-3 times a week if I'm not going to compete. So pleasure riding, trails for the most part this year.

Also my yellow horse 'the Golden Nugget' who came up lame last year has been dead sound all year and my number one mount. I had pads (pieces of silicone) put under shoes and rode him last fall and he went sound. This year he's just been shod regular and good to go. I'll get some new pics of him maybe this weekend. He's a pig pen type of horse though, rolls immediately after being released. Takes some of the fun out of shining him up. Lol. The best damn $800 quarter horse out there IMO!

IMG_0855.jpg

Back