How'd it go today?

Frigging buggered. Threw a new plug in and no go? It's plain as day on the old plug and electrical box. The smoke got out and now the whole things hooped. :(

The brits got dem canucks talking brit!!!!!

The best arborist in the world wouldn't make a zit on an average loggers ass.

Puhleeeeeeeze.

For arguments sake, call Mark Chisholm the best arborist in the world. He could mow down trees like nobody's business in the woods. What's the mystery here?

Justin, they are ignoring your pain...not me. Electricity is bad juju..voodoo even. I hate that a live wire looks just like an un-energized wire...just don't seem right somehow.

I'm borderline millennial... I'm alowed to cry if I want to! :cry:

:P. I'm pretty sure August was a logger before he was an arborasst. ;)

How many arbo's are really proficient in jacking big trees, bucking for value, and skidding them out, or even moreso high-leading? Swinging trees into a lay? How many arbo's can run big machinery, or drive a really big and hella heavy truck on bad roads?

How many loggers can shoot and install a ring-and-ring at 80', prune for structure and do tip-work? Run a resistograph or are TRAQ?

Different professions. Some overlap. People who are really good or great at one, that's something. People who are really good at both. Really something.

Jerry Beranek can do all that and more. Stig can handle that spectrum, with aplomb. I can manage well enough, not too humble to say it...well, except the TRAQ. I had to google that :D.

Well, ya, you guys aren't run of the mill.

And I reckon TRAQ has its counterparts outside the ISA. I've been through USFS hazard tree trainings for developed and undeveloped sites. Clearly in-depth.

That I do have under my belt, multiple times, and served as an assistant presenter on a couple of occasions....so maybe I get a bye :D.

Chisolm couldn't hit the broad side of a barn... er if he could... It'd take him waaaay too long to do it. Trust me... I know... I'm drinking beer right now. ;)

The truth is, the tree folk that we share time with here at Butch's site are seldom run of the mill. I know there is not one single place, either real world or virtual, where the high level of competence seen every day here, exists. Over the whole spectrum of skills that term implies, we have the best.

That's a bit of a broad statement in the beginning of your post there Sean in regards to loggers. I'd just say, don't underestimate loggers.

Again, different professions.

Case in point, I looked at some nice cedars the other day in a residential lot. Dead and dying. I see mill logs. I can fell them, limb, them, buck them, and move them. Doesn't make me have logger skills. A good logger will know the market, what equipment it takes to get out the size logs needed, be able to size up the trees for volume, know how to cut them for best value for lengths and defects, etc.

I have no idea how much the net value might be. I couldn't tell you if it was 2000 board feet or 3000 board feet. I don't know how to cut quickly tapering trunks for best scale, or how to size up a truck load. Cutting too many short logs to try to not lose too much board-footage to taper could mean two smaller loads, and increased trucking.

My 28 fir removal bid is a logging job, not an arborist job. I can't tell how much good wood is going to come out of there. I could spot a lot of defects, and shorter, straighter logs. I don't know grade 2 from grade 3 domestic saw-logs. IF I get the job, it will be a total surprise to me what comes out of the log sales.

That's stuff I hope to get better with.

Trees are trees...

But electricity is frigging invisible.

Something that could burn your house down in your sleep...

Just like treework, if I wasn't trained I'd hire a pro.

Today is not starting very well at all. Spent over two hours in traffic to get to our job and oops, the estimator forgot to tell us we need plywood to get the brush and wood out. I'm gonna be on spurs all day while the boys stage brush and wood. From my walk through it's a mix of 30-35 bean pole ash and poplar. Kicker is no turf damage or damage to the surrounding woods. Well I better get at it and see if can keep my cool:X. This will be a test of my patience

Your estimator has been having some estimating problems lately. Powdered willow...need plywood. I trust he gets feedback....

Sean, do you know yet if you got the 28 tree job?

They said they'd know in a few weeks.

Don't know if they're shopping around a bunch, or simply getting a couple bids and having monthly Board Meeting in a few weeks.

I put in $13,000 including some canopy raises on a row of firs. If I do it, I want it to be worth it. Rather have enough money on it to pad the fells if needed. Might be cheaper to fix more damage, but I'd rather be known for low-impact where low-impact is desired. This is sorta referral through a local gov't list. It will be permitted. The customer's feedback on our performance will very likely get back to the referring folks.

With the mini/ grapple, we typically make some piles for forwarding/ feeding, anyway. Moving them around a bit, to pad the falling trees should be pretty efficient.

Justin, on the smoke problem, do you know what else is on that circuit? Is the whole circuit dead?

A few lights and a few of other plugs inside are on this same circuit or two? Two breakers blew? It's the outside plug that 'smoked' and threw the breakers. It was a fifty plus year old plug in there and clearly had burned the hot side of the plug. So I pulled it out, determined about fifty times that there wasn't voltage and disconnected and put in a gfci, seemed prudent, the plug I replaced was three prong so a ground wire was there. I put the wires in the same positions that I determined they came off the other plug, didn't test for line/load. Flicked the two breakers on and everything was good until I hit the reset on the gfci. That threw both breakers again. So I switched the hot wires around, genius right, line for load and load for line on the hot side. And then it wasn't even possible to reset the one breaker and the other breaker when reset would make the gfci outlet continuously click. So I just shut it off and ended there last night.

Today when I have a chance. If I do. My plan is to disconnect everything and with the wires all not touching each other or anything else see if I can turn the breakers on or not? And if I can to then determine properly which is line and which is load.

There's a bit of a conglomeration of wires in the box. Some black tape splicing to boot and only one white wire that I found yesterday?

I'll get some pics and answer any questions if some of the electrical geniuses might want to help me out a bit.

Today is not starting very well at all. Spent over two hours in traffic to get to our job and oops, the estimator forgot to tell us we need plywood to get the brush and wood out. I'm gonna be on spurs all day while the boys stage brush and wood. From my walk through it's a mix of 30-35 bean pole ash and poplar. Kicker is no turf damage or damage to the surrounding woods. Well I better get at it and see if can keep my cool:X. This will be a test of my patience

I?ve about had it with my sales guy, came off a job today with long horizontals just above an asbestos roof, not doable.
Tomorrow got too much to do comfortably in a day for a landscaping company that doesn?t pay for 45 days!

Guy is a jerk! (Genuinely, I hate myself tonight)

Easy peasey! Bring on the pics!

Found out my Dad has some cancer on his face. Seems they will be able to remove it.

Sorry for your Dad Peter, I hope it's a easy procedure for him.

Here's a couple pics. What I've got hooked up is just like it was hooked up before. The red and black on the hot side of the old plug and those crimps were all covered up well in black tape. Just peeled it off to have a look.
Clearly I have not a clue really of what I'm doing. Lol. Two breakers are off in the box and my next plan was to disconnect the gfci and with all the wires not touching each other or anything else to turn on first one breaker and see what's hot and if it stays on and then repeat with the second breaker? This house is '61 construction.

IMG_1630.jpg
IMG_1631.jpg

Back