How'd it go today?

Yep, that hammock looks a bit strained.
Your hammock hanging trees sure are more interesting than mine, Fi.

Some kind of Eucalyptus...700 different kinds!
WLL of hammock and rope...sufficient :)

Pretty sure I saw a pair of Red Tailed Hawks hanging out here today. Heard the male fist and spotted it in a tree...bigger than I thought they were for some reason. Tail was bright red as it flew over, then it went to a tree further back on the property. Another joined it in a few minutes and they hung out for at least an hour in different trees back by the swamp, couldn't get a good shot of them though and they didn't fly enough to get video. don''t see hawks around here much and haven't ever seen one set in a tree here.

My Sister sent over a big bag of fresh cookies today8) I'm all about dunkin' them in milk and watching a movie tonight...

Attachments

• Otis on Watch 012.jpg
    Otis on Watch 012.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 34
Oh those look good.

I plowed for ten hours today, then changed a transfer case in my 95f250/350 in 2.5hrs from the time it hit my shop to filled and driving out. I'll be right impressed with myself as long as nothing falls off. Lol. Oh yah than I went and plowed for another hour. I'm done!

Nice working without beat up hands like last winter, eh??

Nice working without beat up hands like last winter, eh??

Yes it definetly is. I'm just feeling overwhelmed lately though. My luck has been, almost lacking, instead of incredibly excellent. Lousy things keep happening to me but they're never really that bad if you know what I mean. This morning I caught a tree branch in a parking lot and it broke the holder for my shovel and it fell off my truck.....but I found it. A bit later I ran over and killed a deer(bugger committed suicide, no way to avoid it)......but no damage to my truck. Then the transfer case goes......but I have a spare sitting out ready to go.

Today has been really bizarre.

My 550 plow truck has killed a bull(last winter) with only breaking a mirror, and now a deer with zero damage. Wtf?

Worked this morning, dismantled a couple of spindly oaks over some buildings, high winds, bit tricky but home owner had some burly peasant sorts on hand to clear everything up. Hurrah!
Then managed to get an appointment with an osteopath to free my ricked neck. Worked a treat. So a good day.

It is still raining all the time, here.
Logging is looking more and more impossible and my back field has turned into a nice little lake.

We are, in short, having the kind of weather that Californians dream about right now.
Guess I shouldn't complain.

P1030883.JPG

It'll take more than that to end your drought, Stephen.

Is there much snow higher up this year?

I remember when we came over to climb sequoias, there had been 27 feet of snow up in the high Sierras and the Kern River was flowing like mad.

We've been just nailed here with 9-12"s over the last couple of days. And quite cold temps, often we'll get bigger snowfalls when it's sort of close to freezing but this is dry cold snow that came and after a week to ten days of 1-4cm snowfalls daily. Now it's supposed to stop for a bit but still stay quite cold. I'm loving this winter!

Shutting down near everything but essential gov''t here. Sleet, freezing rain & plenty of wind. Wind chill = 12f. They are predicting up to .5 inch of ice.

Picked up a couple cans of gas for the generator in case.

Damn. Stuff like that never happens here. Literally, I'm third generation living around here, zero natural disasters.

I don't think I'd like that kind of winter.

We haven't had any snow yet until today. We usually get one or two good storms per year...not a big thing, a couple 100 car pile-ups per winter on the expressways is normal.

Very rare when we can't get out or the power goes out here though. I just like to be prepared...filled the oil lamps during the last big wind, and usually keep some gas around but just happened to be completely out.

A few weeks? Worst I've seen is power out overnight, once. Usually 2-4hrs tops if the power ever does go out.

Obviously you have a generator or two I would presume?

Back