How'd it go today?

Nice truck, Reg. I like the gear lockers also. I just bought a 1997 with the 7.3 and it's turning out to be quite a good truck. Runs great and goes twice as far on a tank of fuel as any other truck I own.

That 7.3 idi is a good motor. Hell, the 6.9 was good too.

I have the turbo version......I guess it makes more power. It sure makes doing injectors and glow plugs worse!

I have a single mass flywheel kit ready to go into mine.

What transmission Reg?

I have a gig tonight. I was in the big town to the south buying an amp so I did not have to set up.

They are planning on serving 400 people a prime rib dinner at 7.......music at 8. Yeah right!

Be another one of those sitting around waiting for folks to eat and move tables.

My last little gigging amp was accidentally thrown off the stage. Still sounded like shit after that.

So I had to go buy a new one.

Little 500 watt Fender combo.

It's a standard. Thanks. Only shortcoming is its not 4x4. Having the 4L is great for backing the chipper up steep driveways. But, ultimately I can't keep both trucks. I'll be putting a receiver hitch on the front if I get it.

Nice truck, Reg. I like the gear lockers also. I just bought a 1997 with the 7.3 and it's turning out to be quite a good truck. Runs great and goes twice as far on a tank of fuel as any other truck I own.

I've been following Brian. It actually gave me a nudge in this direction.

Jim,

There was a steady southeast at about 12-14 mph. After the sun went down it whipped up pretty good into the low 30's, still southeast. By then everything was burned up, and as long as we watched it there was really nothing that could go wrong. The guys were on mop up all day today, and will roll out tomorrow. Very professional and efficient crew. Kanouse outdoor restoration.

Love that truck Reg.

Cheers,

Nice Steven. Did you have to duck on those first couple....you have the choker set far side ?

Not really Reg. The gap at the codoms was terribly tight towards the end. I made the cut towards the middle instead of boring it. No pinch on the saw that way. He would lift and they would float away towards the road. Load never passed over me.

Fine rig, Reg...for a Ford, it's totally top drawer :).

Really, that generation of Ford diesels are awfully hard to beat no matter what brand you throw into comparison.

Not really Reg. The gap at the codoms was terribly tight towards the end. I made the cut towards the middle instead of boring it. No pinch on the saw that way. He would lift and they would float away towards the road. Load never passed over me.

Well done

Indeed...yet again I find myself impressed.

Not really so much at the skill level you display day in and out, Stephen...there are more than a few I know that can bring your degree of game to the table. It is so much more the relatively short time it has taken you to get to this level.

I know of NO ONE in the more than 40 years I've been in the biz who has stepped their skills up from beginner to your degree of accomplishment in the time frame that you have done so.

Kudos, my friend.

Went out to quote a dead pine tree removal for a friend. Trees been dead for about 4 years with only sapwood decay, termites in sapwood otherwise it looks pretty sound. Now to find someone with a 20-25m cherry picker or boom lift for the job to save me having to spike all the way up to the top as part of the top looks a little bit dodge. slight back lean towards some power lines est 10m from lines. able to be felled in one piece due to relatively open field, just a bit concerned it starts to go backwards that I have no way of stopping it going south even with a tractor on a pull rope. what are you guys thoughts on this. will post pics later and maybe start a thread on this.

How high can you set the pull line and how big is it? Most people vastly overestimate the amount of pull required to tip a tree. With enough leverage, a woman or small child can pull over a 100' tree. When people start talking about how a tractor isn't enough pull then you need to worry about someone pulling too hard and snapping the tree.

I 'snapped' a hollow cottonseed pulling with 3/4" stable braid before. It was the plan. Not even a saw cut in it, just snapped it off just above the stump. Line set about 50' and pulled on with a good sized wheel loader.

I've snapped snags off before.

Once I broke a pretty big hemlock, like 100' or so, with a throwline. Building up oscillations back and forth. If you don't have explosives, breaking a tree can work in the right settings.

Not really so much at the skill level you display day in and out, Stephen...there are more than a few I know that can bring your degree of game to the table. It is so much more the relatively short time it has taken you to get to this level.

I know of NO ONE in the more than 40 years I've been in the biz who has stepped their skills up from beginner to your degree of accomplishment in the time frame that you have done so.

Kudos, my friend.

This !!:thumbup:

Winching edge trees in the woods it is easy to uproot or break them due to the massive amount of pull that the big winches have. Never broken one in my arb work.
If there is the risk of the tree breaking, then I prefer to attach the line as low as I dare & if necessary, increase the pull.

Really nice looking truck Reg.

For my solo work a maasdam, or 2, solves those problems for me. Never had to double the pull on a single maasdam, but I have a few trees coming up I might do that.

Kudos, my friend.

Wow, Thanks B. I am flattered. I really just write it off to paying attention.....

Just got back from a Boy Scout outing. Had horrible connectivity up at Fremont Peak. Towers every where, but hardly a steady signal. Only when we went to the beach or in town could I up load or text.....
Kids had a great time. They have an observatory up there, many amateur types and our scout leader brought his 8". Awesome times. Levi wants to be an astrophysicist some day. He was in heaven, so to speak.

Back