How'd it go today?

True, though a similar sized fiberglass tank is 1500 smackers. Dollar a gallon for those.

Several good features to the tire tank. One....its black. Absorbs the heat. Keeps the water open better.

Two, its durable. Wont break in the cold like poly or fiber glass.

Three, wont rust out.

Four, its cheap-ish.

Five, humor. Sometimes when you flip one over there are funny things written on the sidewall.

One time I looked underneath and there was a big circle on the sidewall. Written next to the circle was "the leak is right here, dickhead".

Kind of like the little piece of paper that came in a pack of Lucky Strikes that had a joke on it. Always something to look forward to.

Ha, that's good stuff!

The black color is key for winter. What about in summer, is it an issue?

I'm always astounded at the speed black-colored things pick up heat when in direct sun.

I'm pretty sure those tires new go for 250k +... I worked on where they made them. Bridgestone mining truck tires, pretty cool to watch how they make them.

I too thought the tire was a dangerous idea. Im pretty sure there was a study on those new turf fields with the ground up rubber tire particles on top. Something about a certain age group of girls developing a certain Cancer. Not sure thats 100% true but rings my bell. Your not suppose to drink out of water bottles setting in the sun because of possible chemical absorbtion into the water, would imagine a tires not so good either.

Today i plowed the driveway, did the ball joints in my '99 F350, and some saw maintance. Found time to hammer down some xmas cookies too.

I'm pretty sure those tires new go for 250k +... I worked on where they made them. Bridgestone mining truck tires, pretty cool to watch how they make them.

Oh geez, I'm listening!

Shit, I messed up that didn't I? I took out one to many 0's. It's been one of those kinda days here. Sun is setting and I still have a few hours of stuff to get done and the wife is wanting me to take the kids somewhere because she sprained her ankle. She's one of the few people I know that can manage to fall up a set of stairs completely sober. Grrr.

It's all good I could be wrong I mean I never bought a 13' tall tire before just going off of a distant memory of a How It's Made.
Wow up stairs!

Just guessing here, but 2500 sounds way low. Of course 250k sounds kinda high- a million $ worth of tires on one loader?

edit- oops, late post. Yeah 25k sounds right

Day got a bit better. While I was out loading up my personal gear for tomorrow I noticed a car going past several times real slow. I finally walked out to see what the deal was. It was someone I did a felling job for about a month ago and he wasn't sure if he was at the right house. He got his bill in the mail and wanted to pay cash and in person because he was very happy with my work. No lawn damage and everything was limbed up just how he would've done it 30 years ago. Even added a $50 tip. I got another history lesson from him about being a helicopter pilot for the power company as well.

No typo. They are that much. Fit the biggest mining truck out there, Komatsu made in Peoria, and iirc, they are made in the same plant as the how it's made episode. They are laid up by hand, then placed in a giant mold and cure for several hours. They use a 100 ton crane just to move the molds around, absolutely huge. They say they get about two years of use, then they are junk. I choked when they said how much they were too lol

SMStruck2sms630.jpg

Well god damn!!! Glad I ain't buying those things! And here I thought it was expensive buying steer tires for my chip truck.

Walking out by the road after dark tonight. I could see some motion from a passing car. Couple deer in the front yard were grazing on acorns. They went across the road and waited for the commotion to go away. Pretty sure they came right back.

I saw tracks along the road this spring. Wondered why they would be walking down the shoulder. Figured out the town puts so damn much salt on the road the shoulder is a big salt lick.

About the rubber, in itself, it could be relatively inert for life, but the main concern comes from the added chemicals. Not those involved in the vulcanization, as they are pretty locked in the rubber matrix, but the protectors against oxidation and eventually some various softeners. The last ones don't stay in place as they don't belong to the rubber matrix but are here to weaken it, like the soft PVC.
An unprotected rubber would crack and decompose in a few years, by the oxygen wrecking the rubber' molecules. See what you got with the cheap tyres for wheelbarrows and lawnmowers. To avoid that, they add certain antioxidants with two properties : catching the oxygen before the rubber does (but that depletes its own concentration at the surface), and having a great capacity of diffusion in the rubber to replenish the surface's concentration from the internal rubber mass.
So you got a constant supply of this shit at the surface to do the protecting job. That's good for the rubber's life but not for the biological life.

I don't know if you heard this story before but here it is ( it comes from my Dad who is an organic chemist): The (pro)truckers were often in big trouble with their hands, showing some dermatitis, allergic reaction or skin cancer (I don't recall precisely). It get so important that that was acknowledged as a professional disease. Ok, but they can't tell why the truckers where affected. Until they looked closely to the habits and customs of the said truckers. And they found it.
The truckers are very worried about their tyres (usually), it's understandable. So, after a travel, they used to keep a check on the tyre's temperature by putting an hand on them, a quick and easy test... and each time, they got on their skin a small amount of these chemicals. Moreover, the tyres were hot by the travel, so the chemicals penetrated easily in the skin. Day after day, weeks, months, years, the constant irritation messed their hands.

Back