How'd it go today?

Congrats Stephen! You've come a long way since the day you first joined up here. I must admit I had my doubts back then but you have definitely grown into a skilled and knowledgeable treeman.

Nice going on the certificate, Stephen! What's a timber operator?

Basically a licensed logger Jay. It allows me to write permits on private lands for tree harvesting. It is going to be a B grade license however. Need an A to sell logs to a mill. A B license allows me to harvest minor timber products for like firewood. I an trying to use it so I can take the logs to the central grinder making them into chips for a bio plant. Then I can get paid tonnage or free drop. Right now, we cant legally do much with the worthless wood. Except mill it for our own usage. Or mill it for the customer we are taking the trees down for. No money or barter for the wood product.
The B license will track my permitting and hours so I can (in a few years) apply for my A license. Then we can mill and sell lumber.

Congrats Stephen! You've come a long way since the day you first joined up here. I must admit I had my doubts back then but you have definitely grown into a skilled and knowledgeable treeman.

Thanks mang. I knew you were skeptical back then.. I did not give up on you though ;)
Loved you fixing my saw like you did back then. I sure got to rub some mechanics noses in it :D

Hugh Hefner never knew the talent he had in his employ.

:lol:

Good job on the licensing, CV. Why do they make it so difficult for tree guys to give logs to a mill?

Yessir, Brian...our friend Stephen has gotten to all kinds of awesomeness in his skills over the years :D.

Really, all kidding aside, I'd be hard pressed to come up with another 'Houser who can show his degree of growth in abilities since joining up with Butch's boys and girls.

Adrian seemed to be another that showed great progress. Anyone else remember that first picture of him up in a tree wearing chaps? No longer posting, I guess he's probably so advanced now he's outgrown our usefulness.

You are right, Jay. Adrian grew up right here, and gained most all of his skills as we watched and coached.

Carl is more than a little in that camp too, now that I think about it.

What impresses me is that Stephen started at an age when most of us already had 20-25 years experience and he started pretty much from scratch, having to learn even the simplest basics. And within 10 years he's surpassed most with twice his experience. I think learning comes easier when we are young.

I bought an auction truck today. Former WA State truck. Basic interior. Outside pretty clean. IMG_20170603_132020354_HDR.jpg IMG_20170603_132005629.jpg AM and FM.
2004 F350 crew cab with a tool box type work canopy. 102k. 5.4 gas engine. SRW. A long time coming. My first truck, another State surplus truck, is a half-ton has done a lot of work, but always been too light-duty for towing. Been rolling in that for 10 years.

Picked it up and washed it, slapped on a magnetic sign for the short term...

Extra basic interior, no AC or cruise... Used to it in my other ex-Department of Transportation truck. AM and FM.

Dahlia is going to be disappointed. There is no way to turn off the airbag in the passenger seat. My other trucks either have no airbags/ rear seats or can be turned off. She likes riding high and up front. Chip truck it tallest, but too loud and bumpy.

'bout $7k. plus sales tax. title, plates, gross weight for under $1k.

Micro-burst payments make it a good time to ditch the small truck.

Back