How'd it go today?

Cool, Jim. That's good money for and old tire!

That sucks Brian. Couple months ago a rather dopey truck drive backed into my chipper while he was turning in a huge cul de sac. That sucked but his boss is my dumpster guy so he repaired the bent infeed bar good as new for me that weekend.

Some dipshit drove into the side of my chipper today while I was backing out of a dead end, then lied to the cops about where he was when the accident happened. Wasted two and a half hours of my time but he ended up getting the ticket and I got a broken tail light. I'm thinking of calling his insurance to see how much they will give me for the bent fender and broken tail light on my 23 year old chipper.

Hold on there! I think you have serious damage to the super structure of the chipper rendering it useless and have severe headaches as a result of this collision. Not to mention the loss of income from such a collision brought on by the negligence of said dipshit. I also believe you now have a constant ringing in your ears and a sensitivity to light making it nearly impossible to carry on with your profession.

Misaligned bearings, wow in shaft, stressed housing. Ouch! They are meant to chip wood, not smashup derby!

Collisions suck. Hope it works out.

Might have dislodged a bearing or sumptin :/:

Wow Jim... Thats cool. Katy would love a trough like that. But we don't need anything that big,
Down to a couple horses now.... Rabbits and Chickens.
Feeder calf sold and gone after his momma died. Katy got rid of the goats after the prized one died.
Ahh the life of having live stock.

The cows drink out of that rubber tire?

Is that healthy for them?

I wouldn't want to drink out of it or probably even eat meat that lived off that.

Am I insane in the membrane?

Ha, exactly!!

"Super structure," I like the spin.

Misaligned bearings, wow in shaft, stressed housing. Ouch! They are meant to chip wood, not smashup derby!

Collisions suck. Hope it works out.

Might have dislodged a bearing or sumptin :/:

Wow Jim... Thats cool. Katy would love a trough like that. But we don't need anything that big,
Down to a couple horses now.... Rabbits and Chickens.
Feeder calf sold and gone after his momma died. Katy got rid of the goats after the prized one died.
Ahh the life of having live stock.
Yep I think the chipper is trashed!

A rancher must carry on.

We start logging beech tomorrow, so I've been getting everything shipshape for the season.
That includes putting new caulks in the old Wesco boots.
Both my pairs are about worn out, I'll have to swing by Scappoose OR. and order a new pair next time I'm in Oregon. P1050852.JPG P1050853.JPG

The rubber (probably silicon) dog bowls aren't the same as vulcanized rubber.

Would you and your family drink out of a tire cistern?

11386_L_vvs_000.jpg

Yeah, rubber is pretty inert, aint it?

Stig, those boots don't have the normal giant logger heel. Is that a 'spring heel'?

I have drunk the water out of a newly installed tire tank and cant even taste a hint of rubber.

Butch got me to wondering though.........couldn't find anything about it.

Maybe not saying much, but rubber tires are a favored type of tank by the USDA.

Aside from drinking safety, rubber, especially tires, is pretty freaking incredible materials/things.

Hey, they say that only certain types of plastic bottles are safe to drink out of. Vulcanized, chemically treated tires can't be much better.

My guess is that it's probably unhealthy for a human, but a cow's life is short enough to not allow enough carcinogens to build up enough.

I just swung by the Rodale institute.....widely know to be environmental and health wackos;)...

Apparently the safest garden hose to drink out of is made from plain old vulcanized rubber.

Most other stock tanks are plastic or galvanized steel. From what I have read the rubber tire is the safest.

I am not a scientist though....and am curious enough now that I will ask my NRCS man.

Dodged a bullet yesterday. Had a low tire on the chipper the other day and I had been meaning to change it out. Tread a tad worn from the weight of the chipper being heavier on one side than the other. Seems so anyway.
So I pre-ordered a tire so as to have it done whilst I had to make a trip to the ranching store with tractor supplies about an hour away. Pulled the tire and wow! The whole inside side wall was split just short of catastrophic failure. Got new tire and I figured for good measure, a dust cap had gone missing, new bearings and grease and do a brake inspection.
Shoes were falling apart. Like chunks gone. Still had shoe left, but shat. So new brake plates .....
That could have ended poorly.

Often neglected, the road running gear on chippers.

I?ve had two bearings disintegrate on chipper wheels whilst driving, so mea culpa.

Back