How'd it go today?

I'm sure you know Mick but even though I express my thoughts on most things quite passionately. I'm fully aware it's my way, not the way. To each their own. I ran fast days, there was no unpaid time that anyone spent on my job site or otherwise. I asked guys to arrive at five, ten to seven. Atleast before seven and be prepared to jump in the trucks and go at 7:00. And you were back and released from duty at 3:00, otherwise OT. You had a half hour paid lunch during the day, as I said take a knee, draw a drink, or puff a smoke(not frigging leisurely though besides lunch) and stay on with it. I worked production 40hrs a week and actually always left my cellphone in the truck and rushedly attended to all that jazz while I wolfed down a sammich at lunch.

Did I find more than one employee have trouble with the 'pace' of the day. Oh hell yah, I had guys pack it in in no time more than once.

I don't doubt the efficiency of your business, the fact you managed to sell it as a going concern bears witness to that.

Sometimes there is a tendency on this forum (and others) to eulogise about the whole "my way or the highway" thing.

Not digging you out specifically.

Phones are now considered "a right" like it or not, everyone brings one to work.

I'm aware of the my way thing. That's why I mentioned it above. My way in the end didn't work out long term for me. I was not enjoying it at all at the end.

And I know you're right, cellphones are only more and more commonplace now. But I still just can't stand the thought of paying someone to update their Facebook!:whine:

I can also see how it would be probably a nearly impossible policy to implement on a crew where it hadn't been that way from the start. And I fully realize it would've only become increasingly difficult of a policy to keep implemented. Everyone wants to have a little chat with the missus at lunch now, at the least.

Rules are for people that can't figure things out for themselves. If an employee gets the overall lowdown, has common sense about what their responsibilities are and meets them on a regular basis, including working hard, don't they deserve the odd minute or two during the day for private matters if not sorely inconveniencing someone else at that particular time? Call it a reward for their diligence. I could never work for a person with Justin's approach with their rules, I'd feel that they were insulting my intelligence. 8) I'd have to break the chains that bind me.

If you had the common sense not to bring a cel to work it would never be an issue between us. I don't mind if someone takes a minute or two for their own pleasure, stretch, relax, check out a nice view, bask in the glory of it all for a moment. I do mind when someone's texting, posting, emailing, whatever on a phone. That's private time stuff to me, not paid time.

I had my own cel in one truck and a second company cel in whatever 2nd vehicle was going. Either was available to snap pics and you were welcome to email them to yourself or text them to yourself.......you guessed it. At the end of the day.

Different strokes for different jobs... On some things a phone is a safety device, on others it is safety concern...

9a03f637a58a7ffb97a587caffffa44b_work-harder-wage-slave-by-kickassia-meme-center-slave-meme_400-305.jpeg

Jim, hella ball cutting stories.

Squish, I can't believe you let bums smoke OTJ.

Whatever floats your boat. And afaik, you are down on cigs now.

Smokers should be crushed imho.

I don't smoke anymore, but I have sympathy for the addicts. Most of them wish that they didn't smoke.

For sure.

What does he do with the butts? If he eats em, then yeah, its cool.

I had one guy who smoked and he pocketed all the butts. And I road him so hard about it, he quit about three years into the five years he worked for me for. And he rarely smoked on a customers property. The way I handled it was to inform the crusty beforehand that one of my guys smoked, let them know all butts were pocketed and if they preferred there would be no smoking on their property. I always treated my custys property with the utmost respect, as if it were my own.

I abided by all the same rules as I ever asked anyone else to follow. No double standard there.

I could never see having a cell on you while working? My own cel now only survives with one of those otter boxes otherwise it would be constantly busted in my day to day jostle. But while doing treework I don't know where/how you'd keep one on you without it getting soaked in sweat all summer?

I guess I am a dinosaur. I don't believe in the right to bear a cell phone at all times.

Of course! I'd expect no less.

I'll admit, time goes by quick. A couple of years like nothing. I would suspect I'd get everincreasing resistance to possibly disbelief at my request to leave cell phones in their vehicles.

My second cell phone from the business is now my daughters cell phone. And I parent the same way I 'bossed'. I take the phone away to get sh-t done! :lol:

Back