How'd it go today?

I banged over a handful of trees on Friday with my expensive husky splitting ax, with a plastic handle. I can still feel it. I normally use a wood handled 5# maul. I'll compare when I bang over more.

Better yet, I'm going to let my employee bang then over for me. I'll pull the trigger.

I have one wooden maul handle going over fifteen years now. The key is to wrap a protective donut of duct tape just below the head to take the brunt of any potential damage. Synthetics just don't feel right for splitting IMO.

Two mauls are what I use for my wood splitting from kindling to big nasties. They are sized big and bigger. Lol.

Look at this crap coming down now. From nowhere. Had to abandon the second job for fear of the chipper getting stuck.
2017-02-27 11.45.04.jpg

Hey Sam, I was just down at the Tahune Airwalk on Friday (Some friends from Bermuda had a one day stop on a cruise ship...we get in for free when we bring visitors so its a no brainer for a sightseeing trip!)

I saw that tree before it was cut down, and now it is about a 50' stump...people throw coins onto the top of it from the airwalk platform and the money gets collected to go to a raptor rehab centre.
When I look UP from 35 metres on the airwalk and see pruning cuts...I just shake my head and thing WOW.
When you watch the video, and you've SEEN the tree and the surroundings it is just a whole 'nother level of tree work and tree man!

I'm glad that we aren't getting that snow.
Ended up being a decent day of work, weather wise. worked on the ground during some rain, before fighting my way around a big, old apple.

Worked at the next door neighbors'. Ended up with a rough looking pruning of a large apple that was let go 10+ years after major heading. Multi-stage restoration/ reduction...easier for regular pruning, and fruit production/ picking, along with being more storm-resilient. Bad apple canker should be helped with air and sun, I think. Lots of mulch generated for them to spread under the tree, which will hopefully help. A lot more light in their yard, which it really needed, as its the southern exposure in our sun-starved winter.

Got some big bamboo out of the job, too. 20' or taller. A large Arbor Trolley load, rolled right from their driveway to mine. 2" in diameter on the larger stuff. Should be interesting to build something out of it. Dahlia suggested a treehouse. The irony is that this rental has one tiny tree on it.

Got a new electronic control module installed after some more troubleshooting. Chip truck back in action... equipment is running at full strength.
Now to find a second good groundie. Wraptor is at the shop...bad accelerator pump. Should be back soon, along with an MS 361 (first saw I ever bought) and an MS 460.
I was itching to get this F450 and get rid of my 1/2 ton pick-up, but I might just outfit the two trucks. 1/2 ton is fully lettered, and pulls the stump grinder trailer or small trailer, plus its an automatic, and my parking is ridiculously tight for backing the chipper and trailers with a manual dually with poor visibility.
It fuel efficient, too, relatively. Back-up can be a good thing, plus storm work might mean splitting up. Some of the driveways around here are much more manageable with a SRW automatic, too.

Going on 10 years in legal business, come July. 10 years ago, I had that 361, $25 pole spurs, a rock climbing harness and two rock climbing ropes, gri-gri, screw lock biners, and a $75 used, little Mac for climbing. Astro van and 5 HP craftsman 3" chipper/ shredder.

I pruned two small apple trees today too...took me a few slow hrs, have to be careful with the shoulder.
I've been working with these trees for about three seasons now, I think I might have finally got the hang of it, but I always tell them its not ALL about apples, tree has to look halfway decent too.

Ran out of work so resorted to the dreaded hedges I've been putting off.:shaking:

Five hours today on a Murraya hedge at a townhouse complex, down to 2' & six hours yesterday on one to 10'. Not sure what was worse, bending over on flat concrete or up and down a step ladder.

Both better than the one on Friday, 10' Murraya and Photinia. I swear I'm never going back there every year but they are good payers.

The things I have to do these days.

Neglected fruit trees are satisfying to work over for a couple of pruning cycles. Just finished an orchard at one property, and a home with three fruit trees, where its mostly down to removing annual watersprouts with 1/2-3/4" cuts (again and again and again). Good structure, good bearing, fast pruning.

Ugly, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear in one cycle after neglect...

IMG_20170228_074258781.jpg IMG_20170228_074248087_HDR.jpg

In time these will go from 30' and 20+', down to about 15' and 10'.

Had a lawyer meeting to look over the divorce application my ex sent me. He suggested just sit back and let it go through, she is asking for nothing and is paying for the matter, so let her.

Had a Doctor appointment yesterday, got some antibotics for my cough. Still I have no voice. No big deal, I'm not listened to anyway. First prescription in like 20 years for me.

Have a few stump grindings to do this week. Looking forward to get out, get some easy cash. ;)

Back