How'd it go today?

Jeezlus! Glad you are okay Peter. \

Been on the phone with North Dakota State Patrol and Montana DOT......pretty sure all my ducks are in a row.

Bought a Fuel Permit for North Dakota....15 bucks.

Will head out tomorrow morning to Dunseith North Dakota to pick up a tanker trailer I had imported from Canada. It came from MacGreggor Manitoba.

Stay in ND somewhere and be home Friday.

Trailer holds 10,000 gallons. Enough for a day's water for the cows.

Drought is getting really bad, with this week being in the 100's with wind. Two inches of rain for the year.

Our normal water is not keeping up, so we will haul more.

Been traveling around pickin music a lot the last few weeks...so got some catching up to do.

received the most awesome birthday gift from my Sister...she knows I like my coffee...8)

Attachments

• DSCF1424.jpg
    DSCF1424.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF1425.jpg
    DSCF1425.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 41
Those are some really cool up thermos jugs. Sweeet! Nice score Dave!

Water farming ... hahaha..... We are moving in 2-5 years to a place with more water. Tired of dry .....

Burnham, I do the reforestation planting, too.
Come spring we'll replant that clear cut where the Grand firs were felledwith another non-native conifer, Sitka spruce.

And you are right, that is every bit as hard as logging the area was.

I've been replanting for 40 years. Some of the first trees I planted are about old enough to clear cut again.
And so the circle continues.

Of course I know this very well, Stig. Which was the point of my initial post following yours on the subject. You and your crew are most assuredly within my treasured cadre of under-appreciated reforestation workers.

Yes, that always seemed like gutty, hard work. Usually done in poor weather as well I'm guessing.

Question for you.

Did you just plant the saplings direct in the ground then forget about them or was there protection (plastic tubes) and periodic clearance of bramble and the like until they got going? (Like here)

Mick, there are quite a range of pre and post planting regimes in all reforestation efforts.

In the "bad old days" we (we being the US Forest Service, many other land management agencies, and private timberland owners) burned the slash off in broadcast burns, planted the appropriate species for the site, managed the competition from brush with herbicides or hand cutting.

In more modern times, broadcast burning is very rare, piling slash and burning the piles is becoming rare, herbicide use has been off the playbook for several decades on federal lands, still used on state and privates. Planting is all done by hand, and in units of today, the slash is miserable to work in. Release from brush competition is hand work, with chainsaws or hand tools.

As to the plastic mesh or sheet tubing protection...yes right off the bat following planting, it is used where either prior experience in an area indicates above acceptable levels of foraging by ungulates or rodents, or inspection either informal or by formal survey, show such problems. Again, by hand, all muscle power on steep, slashy, remote ground. And it has to be done to very exacting specs, or you hurt more tree seedlings than you help.

After planting, a regularly scheduled cycle of stocking surveys is conducted, by grunts traversing the units in grid pattern, taking sample plot counts to establish estimates of surviving seedlings per acre. If these numbers are not acceptable, replant. If acceptable, survey again in a couple of years, and a couple of years later again. Pre-commercial thinning at 8 to 12 years after planting is usually done by chainsaw crews, to bring numbers down to proper spacing for optimal growth.

All of it tough, intensive work and requiring good attention to detail over a span of many years on each logged/reforested site.

Last edited:
Got the wiring harness all squared away in the dump truck. Figured out how to set the Quadrajet so it didn't fall on it's ass. Fixed an oil leak in the valve cover (literally a small hole that had nothing plugging it). Feels like I've been working on the thing for three weeks. But it feels ready again. 100% ready. Even changed the trailer plug on the back to fit chippy. Taking it out this weekend to trim apple trees, maples, and white pines.

Sorry I'm all off topic. Carry on 8)

I'm just going to take them as they come Gary. Putting a new gas tank and sending unit on it this weekend. Not that far from being a "jump in it and go anywhere" truck. . . just as long as there's a gas station every hundred miles or so :lol:

At least the tank looks easy to get at Jim. It's one strap and the cage. Sending unit lines and wiring are all right there. I always have high hopes that projects will be straight forward, and they almost never are. haha.

I feel for you on a gas tank issue. Tried like crazy to get a new saddle for the 1984. It has a two strap with mount bracket on the passage side. 22 gallon. Damn truck really needs two. :lol:
The tank eventually got an acid dip do over. Still sheds crud. And as you say, know you gas stations.....

I had hoped the reason for my hydraulic pump supply hose collapsing on my Boxer was a clogged hydraulic vent filter, though it 'looks' fine from the factory at time of assembly. I've been running the machine with a rag over the vent instead, since draining the hydraulic fluid and replacing the hose, again. Started collapsing again. THIRD time.

Any ideas?

I'll be calling Boxer today, again.

Get a better hydraulic line? There are pressure hoses and suction hoses, not made the same. There are also hundreds of brands of hoses (sort of like tires). If you're buying the line directly from Boxer then I'd start looking elsewhere for better lines.

I have a siphon hose here that they sold me by mistake. SHIT, you could not even bend the damn thing to route it around stuff. Had to buy the next one down a tad softer so we could flatten it as needed between the from and engine. Toro design thing...

Mick, there are quite a range of pre and post planting regimes in all reforestation efforts.

In the "bad old days" we (we being the US Forest Service, many other land management agencies, and private timberland owners) burned the slash off in broadcast burns, planted the appropriate species for the site, managed the competition from brush with herbicides or hand cutting.

In more modern times, broadcast burning is very rare, piling slash and burning the piles is becoming rare, herbicide use has been off the playbook for several decades on federal lands, still used on state and privates. Planting is all done by hand, and in units of today, the slash is miserable to work in. Release from brush competition is hand work, with chainsaws or hand tools.

As to the plastic mesh or sheet tubing protection...yes right off the bat following planting, it is used where either prior experience in an area indicates above acceptable levels of foraging by ungulates or rodents, or inspection either informal or by formal survey, show such problems. Again, by hand, all muscle power on steep, slashy, remote ground. And it has to be done to very exacting specs, or you hurt more tree seedlings than you help.

After planting, a regularly scheduled cycle of stocking surveys is conducted, by grunts traversing the units in grid pattern, taking plots counts to establish estimates of surviving seedlings per acre. If these numbers are not acceptable, replant. If acceptable, survey again in a couple of years, and a couple of years later again. Pre-commercial thinning is usually done by chainsaw crews, to bring numbers down to proper spacing for optimal growth.

All of it tough, intensive work and requiring good attention to detail over a span of many years on each logged/reforested site.

Great, informative post.

Brian, I got a visit today from the Bailey's tech from 20 miles down the road. They started selling and servicing morbark and Boxer. They might move closer to me.
He thinks there was too much silicon sealant put around the inspection port cover at the factory, and some is blocking a screen in the hydraulic tank.

Third house was sourced at a local hydraulic shop.

In any case, there should be no vacuum pressure in that reservoir to pump hose. Some obstruction is the only thing that makes sense. The service tech will get back with me tomorrow.

Back