How'd it go today?

Got back late last night after another week of logging down south.
Weather was fine, sunny cold days and lots of stars at night.

Today we worked the new horse for a bit, to take the edge off, then went for the first drive.
He is very easy to drive, as he should be, since it has been his job for the last couple of years.
It is too cold for it to be really enjoyable, but spring is just around the corner. P1050353.JPG P1050373.JPG

Sometimes the whole " Buy American for quality" actually holds water.
I bought a Coleman cooler from their "Steel Belted" line 27 years ago in California.
Been using it since, but yesterday, as I was unpacking it from our logging tour down south ( With the cold weather, it wasn't so much used as cooler, more as a way to keep the doggies from snacking on our food) the hinges broke.
Woe was upon me, I really loved that old cooler and you just can't get something like it here.
Quick visit to Coleman's homepage right now, they still carry hinges for that model........for $4.25 :):)

Nice Jim, Mick and Stig!

Taking it easy today, trying to get my voice back. Just did a long overdue oil change. I think the GF is taking the kids and I out for supper.

Nice Horse Stig. I am a fan of the Clydesdale, Frisians, Arabians and a few of the big draft horses. My dream is to eventually own one. May have to come visit you if I do a scenic Scandinavia tour later in the year to early next year.

Make sure you do.
We'll find something fun to do.

Walked down to watch a lumber storage down the road burn down. been listening to sirens for a few hours now as they keep running for more water. At least they saved the buildings on both sides.

Had a couple good videos but accidentally erased them trying to get them up. :|:

Attachments

• fire 003.jpg
    fire 003.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 26
  • fire 004.jpg
    fire 004.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 26
He was howling at all the sirens (he does it to train whistles too). I left him home and walked down the RR tracks myself. finally managed to dig a vid out of stupid Windows:banghead:

tankers from at least four departments were there in a line down the road to supply the pump trucks, and a ladder/hose truck from the closest city.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T_AnZnB-SBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They stored lumber for log homes there...flames were around 60' high hen I first got there.

Our guys have to team up around here...each dept. only has a truck or two, a brush buggy, and an e unit

Cool they could save the other buildings next door, it's only a driveway distance to the log home office there.

Yeah me too. The office is cool...log home/showroom with some really nice examples of different woodwork. Basement is filled with chainsaw art one of the brothers that owns the place does.

The building that burned was actually all bays open on one side...I'm guessing some kids were drinking around (Sat night).

We went for a local hike, 10 minutes from my GF's house. Y'all should come check out Olympia some time.

Just regular trees along the trail

IMG_20170219_115256573.jpg IMG_20170219_114836005_HDR.jpg

Hecka big burl IMG_20170219_121602270_HDR.jpg

I had a fun job today.
The local State Forest had sold 3 large larch trees to a mill builder.
They were going to be used for wings, at the restoration of a historic wind mill.
Those logs are worth a lot of monet, so in order to avoid any tear out by the thick branches when they were felled ( Our larch is prone to do that) They aked me to strip them and top them out.
That was just another day at the office.

The fun part was, they have an apprentice who has taken all the required courses and bought climbing gear, but has zero experience beyond what he was taught in school.
He badly wanted to try topping one, so the forester had told me that they'd pay me to supervise it, and make sure the kid didn't get hurt.
They don't have a climber at the district.

Well, yesterday we had really high, gusting winds. When I topped the first one, it was a hell of a ride.
I could tell the kid was having second thought about the whole thing, so I gave him my usual apprentice pep-talk about how a climber has to be able to overcome fear etc....etc.....etc...ad nauseum.

He went up, and he got shook around good by the wind, but kept his cool ( Being able to talk to him on the SENAs helped with that) and did the job.

He was one happy, proud kid when he came down, and sure had every right to be. That was a hell of a tree to start out with.

cz-usa-cz-527-varmint-2.png

Got one of these today for my birthday.

A CZ 527 Varmint in .17 Hornady Hornet.

My old friend bought it for me, wife says she will buy me a scope.

Back