How'd it go today?

25 stumps today. Gettin' cocky with only 10.5hp. 5ft maple 3.5ft walnut, rest cedars and lilacs. 5Hrs. Took it easy due to heat. Going to replace engine, seems to be blowing out too much oil and less power.

20170816_150945.jpg

Dog was happy.

20170816_101738.jpg

20170816_150923.jpg

Still dragging brush from that windblown big hickory .3 fires so far,one more should get it .Damn was that thing bushy.When I got it all cut loose it was 8 feet high in places .Never in my life had a seen a mess like that from one tree .

Jim, do you think you will ever address the evaporation problem? Like what I mentioned earlier?

Some sort of close covering that will still allow the cows access?

Jim, do you think you will ever address the evaporation problem? Like what I mentioned earlier?

Some sort of close covering that will still allow the cows access?

Remember that random pic awhile back that showed water covered by thousands of balls that heavily reduced evaporation?

Watch Richard around the skid steer, they have poor visibility.

I remember the balls and I thought of it, but I would still want some sort of central covering that would allow the evaporated water to drip back onto the tank.

But, the balls would be better than nothing...

The question is...

Does Jim have any balls???

Just a couple. New In Box.

I wonder how much I lose to evaporation every day in those tanks. I really dont think it would be too much.

With 350 cows, calves and bulls drinking the water does not stick around long enough to evaporate much, well, not very much.

When a cow drinks she will lower the level about an inch. A tank with no cows drinking out of it will lower about the same in a day.

There are tanks like you were thinking about Butch. Mostly they are for winter time. The tank absorbs the radiant heat and the holes cut in the lid allow for little heat loss, especially if you have a tank heater.

For about 20 years I kept fish tanks. The last 10 were strictly saltwater/reef tanks.

The less covered they were, the sooner I had to top them off from evaporization.

When I see your 2000 gal tanks, I think to myself how much water I would have to come up with...

Nyet!

You can't be too careful. Working today in a very spacious cul de sac, I was off dumping wood, came back just after some idiot backed his truck into my f'g chipper. One could have easily swung a semi around in that space and this guy has to back into my life blood. Gonna have to spend Saturday fixing it. Guess it could be worse. A lot worse. But, Cmon man!

I watch them kids like a hawk Cory....but thanks for the reminder!

I am bat-shat crazy watching out for my boys. BUT...when Hayden was about 18 months and my wife was "handing him off to me" we had a near catastrophe. As I drove up and parked my truck I had to adjust near a curb. She saw me stop and thought I was parked...didn't realize I was going to get closer to curb. She thought the danger was over and let her guard down. Hayden ran to my truck while I was looking to the rear to gauge how to move truck. By the time I turned around he had disappeared below my sight line of the truck. You can't avoid what you cannot see.

Long story short we almost had a tragedy that day. I still get PTSD thinking about it.

Don't take NOTHING for granted when it comes to kids.

Lots of kids get killed that way...they call it the "Bye-bye" syndrome. You can google it...awful stuff.

I'd be very hesitant to raise a child near railroad tracks still in use. My own experience when growing up and sometimes things I hear on the news. Lots of people in these parts live right on top of them with trains running all day and into the night. Every time I heard a train coming if I couldn't see my kid I'd wonder where he is.

It's been big climbs all week. 12 h days. Monday/Tuesday I was on a big dead fir removal over 3 gardens, solo. Felt like Id done a weeks work already. Since then my enthusiasm has gone down hill. Lombardy rigging/removal Wednesday. 3 + cedars and 3 firs reduction pruning today. All between 100 - 130 ft. Just 2 more day/jobs and I'm off for a week. We heading up to a sea side town a couple hours north of here. It cant come soon enough.

Back