How'd it go today?

Well, seeing my learning curve on welding aluminium was looking bad, I just dropped off the transmission to a pro. Hopefully he can fix my mistakes and mishaps. Might have it done this week. Then progress can be made on the brown Ford.

I've been living in heavy heavy smoke for quite awhile now. I sure hope it's not shortening my life to much. Much activity at all outdoors leads to a irritated throat and a raspy voice. Sometimes in like fifteen minutes. I may have to start wearing a mask I think? It's been about 10 days, maybe two weeks? Since I've seen a clear sky.

Thar sucks, I've been there. A mask might not be a bad idea, hopefully it clears out for you soon.

Come again Jim?

I have no lung issues or anything like that if that's what you're asking.

Just with this smoke I feel constantly stuffed up, sore throat, raspy voice. Ive taken to hiding indoors a lot and I'm starting to feel like a caged animal. I spend very little time indoors usually this time of year. But I've had to retreat, just can't stand it.

Yah not me.

Well about three hours ago another blaze struck up quite close to me. About 50min drive away. By all reports it's growing fast and active candling of trees. A lot of resources are being thrown at it I think so hopefully they get it sorted quickly. If it comes through the hills as it may it's not that far from me at all.

I guess I shouldn't whine about the smoke, as long as we're not on fire Ill just try to be thankful for that.

Worried about you mang. Just been through it here and finally have my eyes, nose and lungs back.
I just kept finding Air Conditioning. Sat in the truck and ran it for hours sometimes. Even took naps. Ran the AC in the house once we got power back. Anything to keep from breathing some of that smoke bro.

I feel for you too. Smoke messes with your mind, like when the farmers burn around their rice fields. I've lodged a complaint.

Keeping my fingers crossed. This fire is really quite close to my old home, that I still own.

Seems calm. That's got to help. A bunch of evacuation orders came out this evening. Not quite including my old place but very close. Overnight could get interesting.

Smoke here too, but not nearly so bad as y'all are having, Justin and Stephen. But it has been a few times over the years, and it is tough going for us outdoors types. Take care of yourselves.

Can you predict the dominate winds and times Justin?

I believe the dominant winds would push it away, but just, not like the entire other direction. Last report was still quite a small fire estimated at 4ha at dusk. They water bucketed it with choppers until then and ground crews are monitoring it through the night. Won't know anymore until morning now.

Well hats off to all you woodland and structural firefighters. To all emergency personnel in general really.

The fire I mentioned is listed as contained now this morning. So that's great news.

Still living in thick smoke. The rain that was forecast for the weekend unfortunately looks as though it's going to materialize as little to none(1-3mm) with risk of thunderstorms. We are far from out of the woods yet.

Yah. The smoke, the stress of the constant threat, it grows old. As I know you understand and are living with too.

And still up here in BC the odd psycho is intentionally lighting fires(one was just caught on surveillance video) and then morons are still heading out and having campfires. Pisses me off because now we are staring down the barrel of a complete backcountry ban which our forest service is reluctant to do(thankfully, public land should be accessible I believe). Part of the problem is without a complete ban the way our 'fire ban' is worded it doesn't restrict shooting at all. So anyone can drive up any bush road and wander off into the dry forest and set up target practice. And people are. :whine:

Well, at least we are not smoky right now.

Some other bad luck though. Wife found a couple dead cows. No reason it seemed.

Then today hired man sees a couple big dogs intent on running the cows to death. Doesn't take much to run a cow to death in the summer time. 5 minutes or so. I know, I did that once as a kid.

Figure those dogs were in there a couple days ago, and were trying again today.

Shoot the bastids! Hopefully they have tags and you can find the owner, present them with bill for dead cattle.

Legal here.
You have to notify the owner, but if he/she is unknown, you post a notice in the local paper with description of the dog.
Then ....Bang!

Dogs caught while harrassing livestock can be shot on sight.

How is that for a bunch of pinkos?

I took a walnut tree down for a friend after work today old school.
Like, TOTALLY old school.

Somehow we misunderstood each other.
He said there was plenty of room for the tree.
I figured he meant to flop it.
He meant, plenty of room to bomb it down.
1 hour from home and no climbing gear.............Duh!

Tied a string to the MS241 and fashioned a bosun's seat and a prussik out of the rope I had in the truck.

Felt like going through a 40 year time warp to my past.

Got it down all right, though, but forget about TITS.
All I had was one rope.

Back