How'd it go today?

I had a strange encounter today.

I happened to see a vehicle slow up and stop outside my place on the road, I'm about 250m back from the road so it's very common. Also what I see next is all to common except I never actually see anyone do it. Out the window onto the side of the road/bank to my field goes a white bag. Ffs, litter is never ending out on the road. I ......shit you not......a dirty diaper was tossed out recently. Pigs. So!!! I jump in my truck, clip on out of my drive and easily catch up to this guy turning onto the next crossroad, pull right up alongside and I motion him over. Roll down the window, and I recognize him. Lol. I've known him for ages, his wife has worked with my dad before he retired for ages. Also I did a big treejob for him a handful of years back and shot myself in the foot on it and he threw in a big chunk extra. Completely unprompted, I've got to much pride, and eat my humble underpriced pie in miserable silence.

So! Here we are on the side of the road. Lmao. Of all people to actually 'catch' littering outside my place. It all stayed quite light. I'm certain he won't be littering around my place again. Just odd the odds of it all. I'll admit, things could've gone south if it was someone with a bad attitude. But what are you supposed to do? Turn a blind eye?

Gives me pause to think on things awhile.

Maybe I should get cameras. :D

:|: or maybe I should just chill out.

Teach your dogs to catch litterbugs, maybe.
Having Tank and Thunder charge after them should be a good cure for littering, I think.

Yesterday I got a call about logging a major bunch of large ash, from the forwarder guy who is throwing a lot of work our way.
No time to do it, but I didn't much want want to say no to him, so Richard and I made a lot of phone calls, shuffled a lot of jobs, and finally managed to get somebody to come help out for a week.

Then it turned out that the forester in charge wouldn't meet my price.
Wouldn't even come close.

So this morning I called our forwarding guy and told him.
He just said that I shouldn't lower my price, which I wasn't about to do anyway, that is a slippery slope to walk onto.
Apparently the forester couldn't get any other outfit on such a short notice, so I should just let him simmer a bit.

At noon today, I got a call from him. He was willing to pay my price.
So In a week we'll go south and kill ash trees for 3 weeks:)

Happens all the time at my mail box.

Garbage of all types, well, usually McDonalds boxes, beer cans and diapers.

The natives like to use the back roads to travel around because they dont have license or registration. My mailbox is a nice place to eat your big mac and drink your 24 of High Gravity....oh, and change a diaper or two.

I happened by one such picnic one day, car load of Indians. I waved and they waved back.

20 pounds of garbage when they left. I dont wave any more.

20170718_mt_none.png

I had a not dissimilar thing happen when going home from work one day. A guy was particularly rudely riding my ass in his car, I mean right on top of me for quite some distance. At the red light I got out and walked back to have a word, and it ended up being the guy that did my vehicle inspections, a friend really. It was at night and he didn't know it was me up ahead. I did say something to him about the close following, but upon seeing who it was I immediately went from being pissed to being stymied for words. It was too weird.

Yah I felt conflicted. Because I was pissed, but this fellow had showed real empathy and kindness to me in the past. Kind of sucked the wind out of my sails a bit. But I certainly made the point of not littering anymore.

Littering has always pissed me off to no end. It's ignorant. It's illegal. And still people do it!

Especially people that toss cigarette butts is mystifying. I've seen farmers throw their butts in the canals around, the same ones that water their crops. Fortunately, it's much better now than it once was when people would stop their cars at any old place and turn their ashtrays upside down holding them outside their window. I much more like the people that after stubbing out their smokes, they put the butt in their pocket. :lol:

I I've got too much pride, and eat my humble underpriced pie in miserable silence.

Ha, great quote! Me too, emphasis on miserable:/:

So what did you say to this bloke?

Jim, nasty story about the injuns. Is it more that they are assholes or more that littering just isn't an issue in their eyes, like they wouldnt care if you littered their property?

Oops, I see now that you told him in a nice way I guess, Justin.

So lol I had to think of big Jim on this evening's appointment- the question this girl had ( who recently moved there from a city apartment) was whether cutting a few pines would help her overly wooded back yard/lack of sunlight situation. I explained how it would of course, then she asked, "but how mean is it to cut down a healthy tree?" :?

Jim can I give her your cell #, somehow I think you could handle this question the best. Be gentle. I know you will. :drink:

Littering annoys the frig outta me too. And I would say it is part of 'broken windows' social theory- littering itself is largely harmless in and of itself but it sends a message and encourages more and greater transgressions.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/broken-windows-theory

Interesting read there Cory, thanks for the link. Litter is always a bit off putting, especially in natural areas. When I visited the redwoods last spring I was surprised to see litter in the state parks there, I was enjoying a nice hollow burned out tree and look down to see a "lunchables" package on the ground... gotta wonder what's going through that person's mind? One could view a city itself as litter so that may be a different story. :)

Long day for me here, back to work after taking the day off yesterday because of a chip mold infection.:|: Homeowner brush pile to start the day right! Off to a bid after work, homeowner is late, then after talking about the job she tells me she needs it done by next Tuesday! Waste of time to say the least. All is well with the cosmos though, off to volunteer at the local tree climbing competition in Denver for the next few days, should be a hoot!

Keep on rockin, Tree House peeps.:thumbup:

If you litter, then you are a lazy scummy bastard who needs an ass-whupping and 100 hours of community service picking up litter.

Litter is always a bit off putting, especially in natural areas.

It really is. And when you think about it, exactly wtf are the perps thinking? Really bizarre.

Back in the late 70s I was on a cross country trip with my buddy, his GF and his sister (who was very cool and hot) (ha mixed metaphors!) We were in Yellowstone which was awesome, and while walking thru thus amazing meadow came across a bunch of litter. I was all pissed about it and she says, 'you could just pick it up..' That hadn't actually occurred to me:|: and yeah, it helped take some of the sting out of seeing some dope's litter.

The only thing worse than picking it up is not picking it up.

I collect a lot of ocean litter/debris while SUP'g, it feels good.

Back