How'd it go today?

Here's a copy paste from the Ford forum I haunt. Dude has over 70,000 posts. True nutbar. Lol.

The Sterling 10.25 made its first appearance when the Heavy Duty F250 was introduced in 1985.

1980/85 F250's could have the following rear axles: Dana 60; Dana 61-1; Sterling 10.25 and the Ford 8.8 (introduced 1983), which while Ford never refered to them as such was installed in Light Duty F250's.

First F250 with a 8.8: 1983 / Last F250 with an 8.8: 1989.

1986/89: Only two rear axles were available: Ford 8.8's and in F250 H/D's, Sterling 10.25's.

Info sources: 1980/89 & 1990/2002 Ford Light Truck Parts Catalogs / Rear Axle Application Charts / Section 40 / Page 9 (1980/89) / Page 5 (1990/2002).

I think the Dana 61-1 referred to is a van thing. I don't think they were used in trucks. Should be a 60 in the 250. The 350 could have a 70.

If the tags are long gone check this:

get behind the truck, look to the bottom right of the cover and look for a 70 or a 60 cast into the housing, that will tell ya if its a 60 or a 70, or even a 61

Hell yah. Doing your own wrenching is always the best. No shortcuts taken, well atleast no one else to blame for it. And money in your pocket and tools in your chest.

I dunno....

The other day I changed some blade inserts on a tractor mower that I was borrowing from crazy priest. Laying on my side, after taking out all the bolts and removing the whole carriage that holds the long thing with the inserts on the ends, upon looking at it I realized that the inserts just slide out when you turn them a certain way. No need to remove the whole apparatus, cut an hour and a half or so into ten minutes.

Hell yah. Doing your own wrenching is always the best. No shortcuts taken, well atleast no one else to blame for it. And money in your pocket and tools in your chest.

It's a love hate thing for me. Been wrenching on my own for years. My dads taught me some as I was learning to drive. Gonna have a car, gotta know how was the drill.
Anyway... I like wrenching at my own pace. Not constantly trying to put a fire out and taking on more learning curves. Love patting my back saying,.... yeah, I can do that. I did that... But ........ Damn the insanity when it does not go right.
Hard pressed to find a good mechanic in these parts. And if you do, it's months of a wait.
Right about doing it right though. Guys I had replace the transmission did not bother to put a new mount in. Well shit, it's all cracked and weathered. Finding little bolts not all torqued, like on the motor mounts they loosened, exhaust bolts. Crazy. Pisses ya off a bit really...
Today I seated the new water pump, oil pressure sensor, tranny mount.... etc. Little things that will ruin your day big time if......

i like turning wrenches. I find it a great sense of accomplishment. But I know all to well the frustration of 'messing up'. But I always take solace in the fact that I atleast didn't pay anyone to screw it up, like I have so many times in the past.

I enjoy the learning, the puzzle of it. Seeing just how things work and go together.

Also a certain sense of pride(not to much now that's not good for ya) that goes into driving a mechanically sound cherry rig that you built/maintain yourself.

Had a good day. Did a bunch of removals while being reminded not to cross the property lines with even a leaf.
Since you guys are on wrenching. I've got it in my head that the fan clutch is not working properly on my Tahoe. Am I correct in thinking that after getting up to operating temp and shutting it off I should feel resistance when I go to turn it? A spring inside heats up and causes it to engage right?

The symptoms of a bad fan clutch on my truck were as follows-
Highway driving the truck ran fine.
If the truck was stopped or in stop and go traffic it would get hot.
Once it got hot, it wouldn't cool down very well with normal driving.

Fire is now over 11000 acres and we have ash coming down. Wind changed direction and it jumped the hwy. They sent crews up Mt bullion to clear in front of the communication towers . We live on the back side of Mt bullion, about a mile out as crows fly. If it goes bad, I'll know by tomorrow.

If the car is cooling and the AC works well, I would not worry about it. Do check to make sure its not leaking or does not have a lot of play.

But yes, it should not free wheel when hot.

I just changed it on my 2001 Yukon. Did the cab air filters too.....now she will freeze you out.

I did end up getting to fight some fire today...the fire they fought earlier re-kindled. Very embarrassing for them.

Back