How'd it go today?

Thanks, Joel. Been a long time. I still have those pictures from that time we got together and climbed that big oak in the park.

Awesome! Glad you and your parrot are back!

To be fair, smoking causes very few fires in a year. Not saying throwing butts out the window should be encouraged, but its not really very risky.

One reason that smoking gets blamed for every fire is that there are always cigarette buts in the black, especially along roadways. See a butt? Musta been what started the fire! Well, sometimes....but not very often.

I love it in the movies when someone flicks a cig into fuel spill and it always ignites.

Yea right.

One reason that smoking gets blamed for every fire is that there are always cigarette buts in the black, especially along roadways. See a butt? Musta been what started the fire! Well, sometimes....but not very often.

Good to know. "in the black", why aren't the butts burned up?

Mainly because of residence time Cory. Road ditches usually are full of light, flashy fuels.

They do burn very hot, but the fire does not stick around very long. Cigarette buts are surprisingly hard to ignite and keep burning.

The instructors in the fire investigation class I took were very adamant that you not stop at the first thing you find. The fire tells a story, and a cigarette butt is usually just a bit character.

Yes it is.

I just hope people can smarten up a little. Thursday of this week I watched a old man in front of me on the highway toss a butt out the window. I just can't fathom how stupid and clueless you have to be to do that while there's tens of thousands of people on evacuation order. :whine:
This started this afternoon. Crazy fast. Getting late so no more air support soon. About 12-15 miles from me.

Attachments

• 20170716_184251.jpg
    20170716_184251.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 25
Hope it gets dealt with quickly Stephen.

Jim here a lot of fires are human caused and certainly out of them a decent enough number are determined to be from cigarettes. Doesn't seem hard to believe living here that a butt in the ditch could light things up. We've had weeks of 90-110 degree weather with zero humidity and zero precipitation. I could sneeze at two sticks and start a forest fire around here right now.

A tidbit from our government website:

Person-Caused Wildfires

There are numerous ways human activity can start wildfires, either accidentally or intentionally. On average 40% of wildfires in British Columbia are person-caused by activities such as open burning, the use of engines or vehicles, dropping burning substances such as cigarettes, or any number of other human-related activities that can create a spark or a heat source sufficient to ignite a wildfire. The most important factor of person-caused fires is that they are preventable.

Tossing butts out a car window is beyond ignorant where I live. People should be severely reprimanded. The fire yesterday evening is contained now, hit hard because of all the homes and there were only eight homes lost and a few more damaged. That fire was human caused. Started beside the road right beside the lake. No lightning anywhere around.

I can believe that. Just here in BC where annual forest fires are a huge deal there have been some high profile cases linked back to butts. If you google it you'll see what I mean. It's been rammed down our throats, no butt tossing. So to see someone do it and to continue to hear about man caused fires that cause significant loss as well as incur large bills to extinguish is a bit infuriating.

My hats off to all fire fighters. I'm quite fearful of fire to be honest so have never stepped forward to fight it. I thank my lucky stars there's people like you Jim and the others here and everywhere that do have the cojones to step up and take care of business.

My uncle in law is currently at my mil's place here in town because his city of Williams lake has been evacuated. Just shy of 10,000 I think? And if I recall correctly that's in addition to the 16,000 already evacuated throughout the province.

I'm sure hoping the winds stay calm and some rain shows up.

Cars pulling into high grass and chains dragging have been big causes of late. Guy drove on his rim last year and started a bunch of spot fires down a road from the sparks. Arsonist can be huge. Have not had too many of those incidents for a while. Camp fires.... gun fire in high grass...

We had a local one that was knocked down real quick from a vehicle accident. Logging truck hit a car I think.

Vernon has suffered from some arson too. Although they caught the freak last year and this years been much quieter on that front.

It's shaping up to be a crumy year!

For sure there have been some terrible fires started from butts.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that sometimes the most obvious suspect is not the culprit.

We investigated an actual fire a couple weeks after the investigation class. In fact one of the instructors was at the fire.

Every square foot of ditch had a butt in it. Easy call right? By reading the fire we actually found that the cause was a chunk of carbon from an old truck that had driven by 20 minutes before. Witnesses had seen the truck.

Smokers just can't catch a break!;)

Hope it works out. I bought a flat bed truck from a friend that had a working 351C in it. The brown has a 400, basically same motor.
that 4oo has always run hot even after I had it rebuilt.
So the flat bed, cracked frame. It also had the manual tranny 4wd. Soooooooo
The brown truck is going to have a wedding.......... Bit by bit.
Now the flatty was a 3/4 and brown is a one ton. So I don't know if I can just change out the rear end ratio (planetary?) or not. Might have to go for the full axle/rear end swap.
Basically setting this up for a mill transport truck. 4wd, drop sides flat bed....
Already have a buyer for the 400 CI as well.. About what I paid for the whole truck ;)

Also, that fire that started yesterday, went from almost 2000 acres last night to 7100 over night. So far, moving the opposite direction from us... see what happens today

I had to drive by a fire today.

Was on my way back home from trying out the kayak. Cost about 200 bucks in lost rods and reels.........

Going to grab my fire truck and head back when I got a call from the wife stating that the hired man was overwhelmed and asked if he should quit.

Rackelfratch! Got home and took a shower, and we all had lunch together. I think things are better now.

Seems he is not going to quit.

Damn. As isolated as it sounds there Jim I imagine good help is hard to find. Hope it's all worked out.

Man Stephen sure hope that fire gets out out soon for yah. I think your best bet on the rear ends is to get the tag info if it's still around. ID them to see, if I'm recalling right most 250s share the same rear axle as the 350.

I'm pretty pleased that my chimney business is heating up. Getting my WETT cert is opening doors for me now inspecting. I've had a few calls for that and a bunch of cleanings. Gets me outta the house turning some wheels.

Back