How'd it go today?

Mick, that WD40 won't last long on that throttle cable. Perhaps you might look around for something like this-
https://www.lubriplate.com/Online-Store/Aerosols/Chain-Cable-Fluid.html

I buy it by the case and use it on all kinds of stuff. Keep a can on every truck. Amazon has it for about $10 per can if you buy a case.

That is good stuff, I've used it since maybe '94, Aerial Lift of CT always recommended it and I used it with all my ALC's since then.

Funny thing though, I have a Terex now, had a real problem with the basket ratcheting while leveling instead of being smooth leveling. It drove me completely nuts. I tried lubriplate and virtually every other lubricant ever created to try to stop the ratcheting. After 4.5 years of ratcheting despite trying all these lubes, I recently cured the problem with...............WD40 :lol:

Part of the problem turned out to be the access to the right spot to lube was very difficult, but after getting the wd 40 in there and the problem went away after non stop efforts including by skilled mechanics, it sold me on WD.

Wd40 evaporates soon to about nothing and doesn't really lubricate. So it can't help long term.
But it's very fluid and finds its way in the mechanisms, dilutes the old oil and grease, mobilizes the gummed deposits if there is some move.
I use it mostly to clean and to flush the bearings, sliders and the mobile parts. Put the Wd40 on the top side, work a little the pieces, put it again with the same position, continuing working the mechanism. The Wd40 will wash out the crud. Then add some oil at the same point, it will be diluted and thinned by the wd40 already there, so it penetrates easily in a cleaner area and this actually lubricates your stuff.

Good input, Marc, thank you.

Curious if the other House mechanics concur with his perspective

Yup, that's how all penetrating oils work from my understanding, including the atf and acetone mix. Wd40 was developed as a water displacer, and it was the 40th composition that was attempted. Hence the name lol. I've never heard of the stuff that Brian mentioned, gonna have to check it out.

I used to drink a bunch, and sometimes I would go out right after work with the guys for a couple. Sometimes those coupe would turn into "hey let's just keep drinking all night". I was single most of the time, and so hitting on every girl in the bar came with the territory. Over time I noticed that my success rate while filthy and wearing bibs was far higher than when I cleaned up nice. I'm not sure what that says about me, but.... :lol:

Ladies like a working man? Maybe?

I had a 77 Chevy Blazer for a couple years in high school.

It had a 4 inch lift, 33 tires, crappy race buckets, no radio, 4 speed and straight pipes.

Ugly and rusty.

There was more nudity in the Blazer than any other vehicle I had owned or own.

Well, so far I have pulled a couple high school kids out of the ditch on the high way, an oilfield worker out of the ditch on the gravel, and am waiting to see if La Wife-a is going to be the third on the prairie.

Jims Winter Recovery Service....has a nice ring to it.

Back