How'd it go today?

Dos are the sum bitches that stayed out thru the -30 weather? My stetson is off to them. You wear a stetson, Jim? You don't seem like the type

Haha Justin! Good show.

I get a lot of plastic signage blowing into my yard. I save them for lowprofile waterproof creepers. They slide easy in the snow.

Dos are the sum bitches that stayed out thru the -30 weather? My stetson is off to them. You wear a stetson, Jim? You don't seem like the type

Actually 42 below one night. 55 below with the wind.

Not a Stetson....I occasionally wear a Resistol or a Seritelli hat.

Only with short hair though....which I only have once in a while. Hat wont stay on my head with long hair.

I do have an ancient Polaris Colt 250 that Grandpa bought new in the 70's.

I has no suspension on the track....bolted solid.

I have been wanting a Yamaha VK540 but they are plenty expensive for a utility sled. Like 9800 bucks.

The VK540 was the top selling sled in Russia for years. The Russkies really like them because they are light, simple and have a bullet proof 2 stroke that will start easily at 40 below.

Put some iron in that mount!

It looks about Canadian proof.....not nearly American proof.

Funny enough. The donor mount which I thought I took a pic of but didn't does have a much more robust construction. I had destroyed it eons ago and it had been rebuilt already, plated up and boxed in. I'm hoping it serves as a more durable replacement than the original. We'll see. The destroyed becomes my next project. Heat and beat and repair, brace, box in, etc. And then place on the shelf for the next rainy day.

Now my 550 seems to be having a clutch issue. No rest for the wicked. It shuddered pulling hard up a hill tonight. I downshifted and it was hard to shift. Limped it to the next pullout at the top of the hill and the clutch was real grabby like it was slightly engaged even right to the floor? Limped it home and by the time I got here it was working flawlessly? I pulled it in the shop and nothing's leaking, hydro clutch fluid is right up,....I don't know? Its functioning perfectly fine though, to good to pull apart at this point? 99f550 7.3 zf6 speed. I've been plowing with it for six or seven years? With the same clutch it came to me with. Scary to think what kind of drivetrain timebomb is set to go off for me now. :(

The VK540 was the top selling sled in Russia for years. The Russkies really like them because they are light, simple and have a bullet proof 2 stroke that will start easily at 40 below.

The AK 47 of snow machines

Get a good used one!

Near as I can tell Butch.....no one has ever sold a VK540 after they bought it.

I have NEVER seen a used one.

It would sure be nice to have. Several times my father had to use his sled to feed cows and go to town for groceries.

He pulled an old pickup hood behind the machine to haul stuff on.

Would make hunting, trapping and fishing a lot more fun in the winter as well.

Get another model... it's not like you need it to make a living!

Get a POS... as long as it mostly runs.

Pretty much. Lots of folks haul them over to the big mountains for a weekend or so. I guess they have lots of fun doing it.

I could never understand the desire to be cold, wet, sore and tired for a whole weekend. Kind of like skiing in my experience.

Riding a sled is fun in moderation. Would be nice to have one in good enough shape that I could rely on it to get me to town if I needed though.

Your snow and great outdoors would be my excuse to have 4 nice sled dogs to ride around with!

Last edited:
A snowmobile that is the least little tiny bit of unreliable is a death sentence waiting to be issued. In 30 minutes on a snomo you can be farther from help than you can walk out in 3 days.

Never ever ride alone.

Wise words from a retired USFS instructor...that would be me :).

That would be cool as hell.

I was talking to dad about that the other day. They did not have sled dogs but had a team and a sleigh.

You would pitch hay off the sleigh in times of deeper snow. He said the team would play out really fast if the snow was hard though.

Several folks I know out south have a sleigh yet. Its fun to hear the bells ringing!

The reason for the bells on one horse was to get the team to work together better. The horse without the bells listens to the bells and keeps pace that way.

Dogs and a sled would get over a lot worse conditions than a team would of course.

Yeah, we did a bunch of dumb shit on sled back in the day Burnham.

We never did get too far from town though. When my dad was into the scene they used to ride down the river to the bars in the next towns to the east. Or ride the 30 miles south to the Cleveland bar.

One night one of his buddies got home and found his wife waiting out front with a shot gun. He jumped out of the way and she put several rounds into his sled.

That was the end of his fun.

I go nuts in the winter time thinking about all the bad shit that can happen....part of the reason why I have a wood pile and no wood stove.

I would like to get a sled to fart around on....but also so I could go get groceries or rescue the cattle. Dad and Grandpa went on several rescue missions back in the day.

Does that pickup run a dual mass flywheel Justin?

I've never had it apart. Factory is dual mass I think? I'm sure it's been looked at as the motor was replaced in it, but I don't know how to tell if it was changed out? Probably dual mass starting to come apart you think? I was loaded with sand under pretty heavy load when I heard/felt the thunk.

Back