How'd it go today?

Such is life. As peter asked, the drive was decent, but the lunch was mediocre. My wife whined about me wasting time and money and I reassured her I had wasted the least amount of time and money by not bringing it home. I've had so many great deals by classified hunting over the years that one miss isn't going to slow me down any.

I feel fortunate it didn't degrade into a physical conflict as the guy was a aggressive asshole. That always plays well with me. I was surprised with the attitude considering myself (not the skinniest guy around but fairly normal sized) and my best bud who's 6'5" maybe 6'6" were in attendance.

My buddy asked me on the cruise home why I was so reserved and didn't fly off the handle at one point or another. I admitted I must be getting old as assaulting someone and all the trouble that comes with it just didn't seem worth it over a pos truck. 10-20years ago it would've been a shitshow.

I still didnt eat no crow, and about the third time the guy started spouting about 'he'd told me' I just cut him off and wished him good luck with the sale. Kept my money and left.

There's a tendency (which I have succumbed to myself) to say to yourself "I've come this far, I might as well have it"

Cost me a lot of heartache and self hatred.

You did the right thing.

I can usually tell the moment I lay eyes on something it seems. I either get that 'I really want it' feeling or I get that sinking 'not a hope in hell' feeling.

I love the 'deal' and I'm becoming pickier and pickier about making sure it's a good deal the older I get. It's a big joke through out my family as my grandfather was the exact same way. I can almost convince myself I need damn near anything if it's a good enough deal. Lol.

Great buncha posts there about your trip to buy the thingee.

Buyers remorse they call it, Mik.

Thanks again! I'm very happy with it.

Good for you not taking that bait. Highroad for sure.

Real nice guy, he was relating his saga to me, and at one point, the truth came out - - "my wife wants to get rid of it, I've had a lot of calls locally, but I just wasn't sure I wanted to let it go." At that point I said I'd take it, and handed him the cash. I made my friend who owns an 86 K20 come with, and I could see him drooling. . . haha.

Thanks Peter 8)

No worries Jim, I won't let the salt get after it. Washed it off really well after the road trip.

couple more in the gloomy light of day.

IMG_20170122_125837367.jpg

IMG_20170122_125855265.jpg

IMG_20170122_125912102.jpg

Cheers

How the hell you going to keep the salt off that baby?

You need a gallon of Fluid Film and their pro sprayer bottle, you can do the whole truck in less than 5 minutes. Living up there, you probably already have one.

I have something like this. The right PSI you can get a truck done in 10 second, and the neighbours car, truck, house, people walking by.....
15-79SG012.jpg

Awesome looking truck! We don't have much like that here in the U.K. & less of that age. My 2004 ford ranger is an older truck & with stupid parts cost hardly viable to fix.

There mostly jap trucks - mine is a rebadged Mazda & they just don't last. Mine needs a new engine I think (blowing oil out of the rocker cover breather - probably worn pistons) - stupid costs make it unviable to fix. It seems rare to take a vehicle over 150k these days as they are built to fail :( mine has done about 185k & it seems a real waste to scrap it. Recon engine is about $3000 fitted & the truck is worth about the same

I put over 500000 km on my old WV syncro .

The new one has about 120000 on it, so it is about broken in.

Wife's old Polo has 284000 on it and still going good.

They usually rust out before the engine fails, here.

I ran my last car - a Nissan to 190k before it died. Perhaps It is a cultural thing of keeping up with the jones & having a new shiny motor, but I don't buy into it. I hoped to get another 50k at least out of this one

I really am lucky that I can do all my own work.

All my old junk would be scrapped long ago otherwise.

Never owned a new vehicle and never plan too.

I suppose you are rather limited when it comes to the used parts market?

In the US someone would have that engine under a coffee table somewhere.....see a lot of stuff sold for the cost of "come and get the damn thing".

I collect vehicles. Currently have a 95, 2003, and 2011 f350's. And a spare '92 f350 in the field. As well as a '99 f550.

Then we have a little Mazda 3 for the woman. We bought that new. Shouldn't have, but she works full time and needs a nice reliable car. Usually keep her vehicle 5-8 years before trading in again.

Back