How'd it go today?

Well it has been a long time since I actually hard a card saying I was qualified but I basically got that I should tell someone to call 911 and send someone else to find an AED. Oh and I learned to not touch the orange end of an epi-pen. The EMT that was there basically said " call us and do the basics till we get there". Like I said it was a good class but I'm not about to hope for my coworkers to save my life. An ounce of prevention starts tomorrow. I'm not gonna put a pair of chaps on to prove that they work but I'm sure I have a log volunteering to show it. That video of the crazy guy going "phew" will be shown as well. Along with a bunch more my point should get across.

Rich, I think that is great of your company to invest in it's employees.

Smart and cost effective. A written and documented safety policy is a nice workers comp and insurance deduction. It's also required in most states according to OHSHIT I mean OSHA

Good time for safety class. We used to see the "safety trailer" (rolling classroom) show up around july/august. Spending the day in that thing with the sun beating on it in a parking lot while they electrocuted hot dogs a few different ways and showed some films was a real treat. I'm sure they talked of other things, but I mostly just remember being overly warm.

No cooking hot dogs. That is for another time. I'm pushing for us that go aloft to get EHAP but I think everyone should do it. We will see how that goes over. I'm just happy that things keep moving in a positive direction. To be honest I'm hoping to keep seeing progress and take a less physical role in a few years.

I did a climbing job for the first time since I got sick, today.
Large poplar takedown.
It went surpricingly well, I hadn't lost much in the way of speed.
Cold day and a strong gale blowing, I had some trouble getting my fingers to Work the carabiners.

Good to hear, Stig...your familiarity with efficient, coordinated movement undoubtedly serves you well.

Cold making biners hard to work...drives me nuts...doesn't get that cold here often but it is painful when it does. (No Eskimo blood here :D)

Day two of training went well enough. A few things were stressed as being company policy that would be followed with no tolerance. Saw chaps are one of them. One of the owners is a bit pissed off at me but I showed a picture that was sent to me from one of the county inspectors of him with no ppe at felling trees on a job. It was shown and as I thought everyone asked why they had to follow the rules when he didn't. I hope my point was made. Then at the end of the day the big boss and I came up with a small list of things to order from TS. Thank you TS and hurry up and get it here!
Time to put the kids to bed and bring a load of firewood up and I'm gonna relax

That's a good day Rich. Sounds like the time spent was a good investment in the professionalism and safety of your outfit. That could literally save somebodies life. Pretty cool man.

Cheers

After this week is over the next step is to convince the boss that I need to be a floater. I can't help anyone if I never work with them. This might take a while. First I need to make sure someone can handle a majority of my usual work load. That and I have to work on a crane op. I guess he wants to look into buying a crane. Not for this year , but the next. I really don't want to become the op. I guess the good thing would be Paul and I would have more to chat about. We'll see. I got some time

Why don't you want to be the op, Rich?

Surprising he wants a crane since I gather you guys rarely use one.

Congratulations Page!

Cory, he said that he is getting tired of me whining about wanting a crane for jobs. He gets nervous about cranes for some reason but I'm wearing him down. I'm a bit worried about being the crane op because I don't want to have to join a gym or anything. Basically I'm afraid I'll get fat and lazy

Day 3. We will be getting multiple copies of the ansi standards and employees will be responsible for reading them on their own from now on. This was a long day. Tomorrow ends it. Get to go donate some urine and hope they tell me I'm in good physical condition. Might put a few lines up and let some of the ground dwellers see what it's like. If not I should be done by noon and the wife has found a baby sitter for the entire night. I'm so looking forward to this. A full nights sleep!!

Thanks ya'll. I'm excited for the new baby. By the time it's born there will be almost 13 year gap between the new kid and my daughter. But still plenty of cousins closer in age. Maybe the next one will want to take over the biz some day.

Back