How'd it go today?

I'm sure it only took a year or so off your life...

;)

I did about the same thing painting inside the intake of an A-7 w/o any PPE whatsoever.

You're a long way from the store, I get it, but no need to go on a rotten orange juice tasting spree. I don't think it helped, speaking as an armchair doctor.

Lol, yeah that's not good, but i feel your pain. That stuff gets in your sinuses and you taste funny for awhile. Kinda like chipping sycamore, lol you only have to learn that once. Same also for chipping locust with my c&d... lost a pint of blood learning that one hahahahaha

Rain day yesterday, so I went and got this from Stehansen. Like any relationship, I hope it works out. If nothing else, there is nothing wrong with having a tractor when you own acreage.

Attachments

• tmp_7437-20170418_132832-1962425845.jpg
    tmp_7437-20170418_132832-1962425845.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 42
20170419_104328.jpg
20170419_104332.jpg 20170419_104349.jpg

One of the brackets that the pins I showed earlier go through was really hogged out.

Made some bushings out of some 2 inch, cut out holes with the new plasma cutter and welded them in.

I wish I could have welded the back sides but hired man said there was no room.

Did end up having room....I will watch them to see if they crack out.

Well, I like John Deeres and old Fords! Maybe I even like tree work...dont know yet.

Thanks Sam. I am a little disappointed in how that bottom hole turned out...plasma cutter kinda got away from me.

The shaft I built those bushings out of had the remnants of splines on one end and a big key way on the end. It did not machine like cold rolled. The shiny new 1.25 drill bit I used chattered a lot at first....much better after it dulled a bit!

But the old shaft was free.

One thing that worked really well was to weld those bushings in sections, with a pin through both holes.

I put a half dozen tacks on each bushing, then welded it like you would tighten up the lugs on your wheel, rather than just going around it in one pass.

Thats why you see so many stops and starts. The bushings never moved a bit though, which is what I wanted.

That's the problem with a plasma setup, even with a new tip there is always an angle that it comes out as, and it gets worse as the tip is consumed. While being awesome at thinner stuff, it's accuracy gets worse and worse as you get thicker. And that's true with all plasma setups, the big ones do it too, so if it has to be dead on, go old school with a cutting torch when doing thicker stock. With the right tips you can make it look almost machined with practice. Good work tho, you made it work and that's all that matters! I hope to get a lathe soon, should really help with some upcoming projects :)

Back