How'd it go today?

"Whatcha mean about mindset?"

Hey I'm no animal scientist expert but I suspect that the porcupine is as unhappy about being run down by a combine as your dog would be. No doubt they both seek to survive such an event by running and evading the combine as possible. Being a wild animal, maybe the porcupine doesn't feel dread or terror about facing down a combine like a human would or most dogs would imo, but, idk, just doesn't seem right to run down any mammal on purpose.

There aren't many porcupines around here that I know of even though the trees are thicker than hair on a dog's arse. I would dig seeing one.

Jeezlus.......that's a pretty good guilt trip ya just laid on my head!

No doubt they don't want to be squashed. I suppose none of the animals I have butchered wanted to be meat either.

We have talked about this before, but it is weird to work so hard to save a calf when you know that the animal you have in the bath tub will be on someone's BBQ in a year or so.

I am not happy with the killing I do, but I see it as trying to survive myself.

I am no different than an animal trying to protect his hunting grounds or his offspring.

It's nasty work, but survival is nasty sometimes.

Come at me bro!

Seriously though. Just come on out Cory.

I will let you pet my porcupines!

We have a wolverine come through once every 20 years or so, a moose, a wolf...Lotsa badgers.

I'll set you up and you can tramp around the whole place looking for critters.

I am sure I take it for granted at this point.

I am not happy with the killing I do, but I see it as trying to survive myself.

I am no different than an animal trying to protect his hunting grounds or his offspring.

It's nasty work, but survival is nasty sometimes.

Come at me bro!

Ah big Jim, you're just the man. No seriously, I appreciate your take on things and willingness to discuss. And the sense of humor.

The way you put it above makes it more understandable to me. Earlier it seemed a little flippant the way you talked about running them over.

Btw, MB mentioned road kill... the best way I've found to avoid hitting critters is to honk as soon as you see them, they generally flee immediately as opposed to standing in the road not sure what to do as the vehicle speeds toward them

Seriously though. Just come on out Cory.

We have a wolverine come through once every 20 years or so, a moose, a wolf...Lotsa badgers.

I'll set you up and you can tramp around the whole place looking for critters.

Damn, I can just feel my bare feet trekking around your 1000 acres now, that would be awesome.

Then we'll go meet some Indians, maybe do a sweat lodge or something....;)

Thank you and you are welcome.

I have followed Jack Rabbits for miles on our roads before.

They just run down the road in front of you. I think they like the head lights.

I never run them over.

It's weird when I think about it. I kill porcupines and coons, but am loathe to kill a rabbit or a bird.

I can't always explain it.

Interesting. Leave it to the TH to shine a light on your perspectives.

Um, coons, they are a favorite of mine. You see the new Geico commercial with the coons?? Pretty funny imo..."dog...dog...dog....dog:O"

I know! The dog, dog thing is so funny.

And my wife says I'm just like that, trying to get her to taste something that I think is gross.

Thank you and you are welcome.

I have followed Jack Rabbits for miles on our roads before.

They just run down the road in front of you. I think they like the head lights.

I never run them over.

It's weird when I think about it. I kill porcupines and coons, but am loathe to kill a rabbit or a bird.

I can't always explain it.

Two words... Disney movies.

Today went well. Finished a bunch of white pine removals and got to get home early enough to blow the nieghbors leaves down the hill so they don't end up in my front yard before the rain hits. Got myself cleaned up and ready for "date night".
IMG_1349.jpg
Let's just say that my wife was not pleased with my choice of clothing but she'll get over it.

Back