How'd it go today?

I wouldn't go for employees using phones at work if it was much if a distraction or something that they felt the need to do an abundant amount. When they pick and choose their moments to make a call or answer would be relevant as well. The thing that I don't understand is making hard fast rules that encompass all circumstances, which is how it reads. What if someone has an ill spouse or child and they need to check on them, are you still going to lump their desire to use their phone as frivolous activity? Doing that seems pretty hard headed to me. All I'm saying is that there are circumstances deserving consideration, people needn't be enslaved to their jobs by rules made for the group, if they can show common sense as individuals.

Never heard the complaint about climbers, but it surely happens.

Most ground workers are groundies because of a lack of common sense.

And it seems like we've hashed this out enough Jay. There was a phone available in each truck. Need to call your sick wife? Use the company phone at lunch. Really if your wife is so sick that you can't go to work for eight hours without checking in on her, other plans need to be made.

Of course I'm not an idiot, if someone had a call they had to make they were welcome to use the company phone. Or have someone call, text, leave a message on it.

It would be like this. You would leave to work and give your significant other/family one or both of my company phones as emergency contact. Simple.

Ya know, the world cranked on just fine long before cellphones became a right and a nescessity. Lol.

I do get the impression Jay that we may not work well together if you were apt to waste my time painting hypothetical scenarios always wondering if I might bend or break rules?

I'll mention again, I worked under all the same 'rules' as a equal. Always.

Were any of my rules set in stone? Hell no, what is?

But when you own a company, it's simple. You make the rules.

I work alone, so I always carry my cell in my pants cargo pocket. I also wear a headset so I can listen to music or answer the phone while I'm climbing. People seem to love it when I take their call from the top of a tree. Likely it's as close as most of them will ever get to being there themselves.

How do you keep that phone safe and dry?

Working alone and needing to get those calls I can see the motivation. Myself through our busy season if I carried my phone with me all I'd do is be answering it. Wasn't uncommon during the busy season to have 10-15messages waiting for me by lunchtime. I had a voicemail box that held 25 messages.

Which leads to another 'rule' that none of my employees minded to much 40hr weeks, every week. I depended on it and they could bank(account) on it.

And Jim. If there were any rules you didn't like. I'd be open to discussing your reasons with you. See if we could come to a mutual agreement.

I can't think of anytime when I was an employee when there was no rules? Just use common sense.

Hell a lot of places have books full of policies and rules to abide by just for the right to be employed. Even prying into your personal life with codes of conduct and drug testing and bs.

My workplace was far from overrun with rules.

I often throwout 'dry pavement wrastling ' as a means to settle disputes. But with you I think I'd have to try blades. :D. Wrastlin' ? No. Chains? I'm guessing that'd just get you fired up so, no.

I keep my phone in a small ditty bag on my saddle. I can answer the phone with the push of a button on the left side of this bluetooth system. I don't have to touch the phone to interact with it...can answer, hangup, dial (voice commands) without ever looking at the phone.

If I drop or forget my ear protection I can use the ear buds as hearing PPE.

LG_Electronics-308974467-medium05.jpg

As I've said. I'm fully aware most people have phones with them all the time. And there's all sorts of tech to help with that. I used the helmet com system, but never bothered linking my phone. I can see it now, ok we're all set to take the top, good to start the backcut, keep a nice even tension on the pull line. Oh heh groundy Pete are you there? Wth? Oh, your wife had to update you on her day,no big deal that that top just sat back and pinched my saw, give her my best for me. :D

Reminds me of the Dutch guy who worked for me, when I asked (nicely) if he could see his way clear to using the phone less (he was on the phone with the other hand on the lowering rope) he replied "some of us have lives outside of work you know!"

It's a shame you're not in the tree game anymore Justin.

Back