How'd it go today?

Thanks for the share. I must not be one of the hoi polloi

It IS interesting how our society does the things we do...mad/crazy awesome skills out there.

And, yes, Kyle does have a gift for explaining. I totally agree.

:thumbup:

When you plane or sand wood, you don't feel for high spots.
You place a straight edge across the surface and shine a light at it.
Then you colour the places where the light doesn't shine under the straight edge and plane or sand those away untill no light comes through.
We work with very different tolances in wood that what the metal folks do.

The nerd in me loves this.

We've had a lot of rain and some strong wind on Saturday.

Started the day being able to skip a bid for a small job kinda far away. Saved me some time, thankfully, because I've been on the go allll day.

Looked at a tree on house (tomorrow morning it will become firewood and chips for homeowner, and an insurance job done, easy $2500.

Looked at some ornamental pruning work for a new customer.

Surveyed the trees around my friends' house and cut a couple uprooted trees in their very wet area.

Bid some pruning and removal work, and spotted an agaricon mushroom https://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-stamets/agarikon-mushroom_b_1861947.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laricifomes_officinalis in an small 'old-growthy' doug-fir,
right next to a perched great blue heron https://www.google.com/search?q=gre...4.69i57j0l5.5945j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8. Funny, I saw a large fruiting body (relatively small by comparison) before a big ass bird on the branch a few feet away.
Bald eagles like this tree, too.

Paul Stamets www.fungi.com is a good friend with a customer of mine. Might collect an Agarikon sample for him. Paul's trying to catalogue different Agarikon genetics. I've seen a handful of different agaricons in WA. He's presented at an ISA Training Conference(s).

Measured some trees in the rain for permitting the removal of a Bigleaf maple.
Maple, Ganoderma, a nearby house, and more burl/ figured wood. What a combination!
Some guys already cut some maples for these people. The tree cutters high-graded the blocks (hijacked the valuable wood), and left the rest of the lower grade figure wood and firewood down the steep hill, which they were supposed to take. Some shady people in the figured wood game, some not.
I'm going to get paid to low-stump and haul figured wood!
The neighbor's burly tree is worth big money. HUGE Burls. People would poach them if they were in a rural area, as happens. People fabricate mufflers with flexible hoses that are put into buckets of water...so much quieter for poaching big maples.

Got the truck organized and dried out. GRCS and bull ropes, tarps and tar, loaded for storm surprises.

Have to write a couple bids, and apply for a permit tonight.

Lots of interesting stuff.

Thanks for all the explanation Kyle and for thinking to share it Cory.

It always amazes me when people of a certain persuasion say, We should take away all the guns. Well yeah, accept anyone with a machine or two could build them from scratch. And whole villages in Pakistan and elsewhere will copy any gun you want with a few files and a hammer etc.

Or maybe an iPhone & no glasses;) (easy to hit the . Instead of the space)

Got it in one! You win the internet tonight :lol:

I'm going to Hobart tomorrow for two days to do the QTRA course (Quantitative Tree Risk Assessment)...should be interesting if I can get over my math phobia...given the amount of trees I deal with now for the Council and the private school, thought it would be a good thing to do. Maybe help reduce some of the 'arborphobia' that kicks in any time a tree drops a branch.

It always amazes me when people of a certain persuasion say, We should take away all the guns. Well yeah, accept anyone with a machine or two could build them from scratch. And whole villages in Pakistan and elsewhere will copy any gun you want with a few files and a hammer etc.

Yes, I agree, so cool to see those pics and vids of squatting, barefooted mofos with a hammer and a file and a primitive 'machine or two' building guns! Gotta love it!

Kyle, very interesting magazine link there. A few articles on bit coin and other digital stuff causing increasing amounts of outrageous electricity use and further global warming.

We had a videographer come out to the job site today for several hours to film interviews and footage of our operation. These will be edited into 3 or 4 short commercials for our business. It was an interesting day to say the least, especially since I'm more of an introvert and not very comfortable being interviewed on screen. I'll post them up here and on YouTube when we get the final copies back in a few weeks.

Oh man the snow here is crazy and it just doesn't stop. Relentless. The news keeps telling me BC has doubled its snowpack in the last two weeks. I'm very fortunate I did that clutch when I did. So far so good still for the plow truck. Don't want to jinx myself. I usually like to do a major repair like that two or three times just to really learn it forwards and back. Maybe that's a benefit of growing older? Been there done that so less likely to screw it up again. I hope so.

Back