How'd it go today?

Caught some snow yesterday. Six hours of plow. A Land and Forest conference call, and pulled an old lady out of a snow bank. . . I'm taking my dump truck for a run to town for some food. 8)

16683518_1276622545707017_524684498_n.jpg

It was 60 yesterday and we have 1-3 inches of snow tonight with a high for tomorrow in the mid 20's. with the rain we had yesterday the trickle of water from the levee turned into a raging torrent of a river. Environmental came out to check on us and our erosion control passed with flying colors. We filled the semi trailer today with chips and have about a half load worth of tops stacked up at the chipper. Almost have the floppers all done and starting with pull ropes tomorrow. I have a couple to climb tomorrow as well. Damn cottenweeds can't be trusted to hold a hinge at the present time. Water just pours out right now. Couldn't get a single one to stay true to the lay today. All were a bit off. Nasty stinking things anyhow!

Well, Gary that exercise video was fabulous! Gotta love the dude in the background with his kettle bells...
And Sam, your work is well worth looking at, thanks for the speedline video, I like how you have worked your gear to do it single handed. So that grapple of yours, you use that as a secondary tie-in for your lanyard? I would assume it's a back up for your mainline? Looks good.

Thanks Fiona!

The hook was just to pendulum from one tree to another. I knew I was going to set a remote TIP as the removal was really punky dead, but I wanted to clean it out a little. I bypassed the big stuff on the way up and moved to the healthy tree, set my tie in, and moved back. Kind of silly I guess, but it really let me set a nice primary tie in, redirected so my line was parallel with the dead stem. . . no line angle or limb interference.

Cheers

Seeing the hook in action was good, gives you more scope for adjustment without having a really long lanyard, and solves the problem of throwing the end of your lanyard out to a far-ish limb and struggling to get the clip end back...hmm might have to look into it...

You'd like it. It is billed as a positioning aid. Always the chance that you'll throw the thing on a traverse and it will get stuck in an unworkable position though, then you're working on recovery of the tool instead of whatever you were supposed to be doing. . . It makes it kind of fun. High stakes. Taylor Hamel did a cool little video on it through DMM.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IvCkrFlq1_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am just going to give you a local news link. They have a few vids on it. We have been quite pounded with rain here. No real emergency calls save 2. Just drop em so they don't smash the house. Should get back to regular work by Saturday. Park is closed again. Flooding rock and mud slides. Coast is bad too. Jaime must be running his arse off.
I have liked some stuff on FB for those that have me there.
http://goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntimes/

I'm super happy. Just a bit tired. But no, it's fantastic to have the work. The streets are getting crazy though. It's the most snow I've seen since I started plowing. Like the winters we used to get when I was a kid. Just cold and relentless snow.

I've lost track of how many days straight now. Yesterday was my day 'off' when I finally was able to look after my own place a bit and do some maintenance on the truck I drive. Oil, fuel, and air filters and grease/look over everything.

I always worry about the trucks breaking down, but I should let that go as there's no money to be made if you aren't rolling.

The trucks WILL break down. I've just had to accept it. Just cracked the head, or at least blew the gasket on a 76 Power Wagon. Belly scraper is limping along, but at least the two V-Plows are holding up. . . considering we already cracked the frame one one and replaced the yoke on the other one last year. . . It literally never ends. haha

I know. My reward for all my preventative maintenance I did yesterday was my satellite radio would not power up today. No matter what I wiggled or smashed. If that's the worst of it. I'll take it. Gotta get some sleep,and do it all over again tomorrow. 2:00am rise and shine. I'll be honest. There ain't much shine at 2am.

Getting over being sick. Going back to field work tomorrow. The deluge has passed.

Odds and ends. Good to be organized, in a clean shop and yard, with maintained equipment.

Need to tighten some grinder belts, replace two tire, and see if I might need a new carb in the chip truck sometime.

Picking up the kid from school in a bit. Do some Valentine stuff with her. &#55357;&#56832;

Back