How'd it go today?

My day was painful but not as bad as yours. I fear dentists.
Had a great day work wise. After being cut short of finishing Wednesday and sitting at home yesterday due to the lovely snowfall, we finished today. I had a remote tie in for an 80' poplar that had an old wound at 10' that rotted out and made me opt for a break away lanyard for the rigging. Went great. And a tall dead ash that approached 100'. Easy peasey.
Now the other part of the day was not so good. The wife called to tell me the van battery was dead and I blew the power steering cooler in my pick up. $157.17 for the battery and the $140 cooler can't get here till Wednesday. I put in a bypass line tonight so I can tow my mini home tomorrow. Feeling like I worked for free today since it is pretty well spent on fixing
Things.

Spent the morning at the Sporting Clays range with the Sunshine Vintagers group. All old school side-by-sides. I was shooting my fully restored 1893 Parker Brothers 10 gauge. Afterward, we enjoyed a bottle of Makers 46 while we relaxed and lied about our scores.

20 minutes stationary bike; 30 min. yoga; 2 hours stick and sword training; 20 min. strength training; 20 min. yoga....long workout today. Been hobbled up some from torn groin muscle 4 weeks ago. I had on a backpack blower, turned/pivoted around and a log locked my leg as I turned..off balanced, falling, leg nowhere to go..I felt the internal obturator get tight and tear. Thought it was a ligament at first, seems to be healing. Working my way back into real life again. Being able to move is a blessing.

Sounds about like my day Mellow. Ended the shoot with two sets shooting with the kids trap couch. Kicked my butt, but I kept up pretty good with the Remy I rarely shot.Seth usually is on that one.
THE Checked My Sights On a couple over at the rifle range.
Sold some work on the way home to date night. Nice day.

20 minutes stationary bike; 30 min. yoga; 2 hours stick and sword training; 20 min. strength training; 20 min. yoga....long workout today. Been hobbled up some from torn groin muscle 4 weeks ago. I had on a backpack blower, turned/pivoted around and a log locked my leg as I turned..off balanced, falling, leg nowhere to go..I felt the internal obturator get tight and tear. Thought it was a ligament at first, seems to be healing. Working my way back into real life again. Being able to move is a blessing.

Geez Gary all these years I've been calling you a ninja and you get snuck up on by a log?:D

Hope your recovery continues well. 8)

Hanging in Chicago. Saw an old friend over dinner, once best friends, drifted apart over years. Neither of us are FBers. That doesn't help.

Going to see another old friend, 6th grade best friend, tomorrow.

Rekindle of friendships.

Have a little one snuggled asleep against my shoulder at an Airbnb in Oak Park, my home town. Airbnb.com is cool! $60/ night for a modern, one bedroom, coachhouse apartment with microwave, fridge, Keurig. I did the large walk-in shower. I'm a lean guy, but still feel like a typical bathtub shower is under-wide. Can't imagine for my 300+ pound brother.
Pushing 50, diabetic, beaten down by life. Depressing.

I found out my other brother went to the Living Ark and Creationism museum. Another 180* from me. Bizarre.

Dahlia loves to hear stories from my life. I got my mom (76yo) and 2 brothers to tell D stories, too, a bit.
Getting her to talk can be like pulling teeth (she's not as sharp as she used to be, being part of it).
I found out my mom wasn't born in Chicago/ Oak Park, after all. Only took me 44 years.

My mom lives in the house I grew up in, one block down from where she grew up. Same grade and high schools.

I took Dahlia on a hometown tour of relatively short trees and real flatness.

I'll show here my kindergarten classroom tomorrow, and maybe ice skating.

My day was painful but not as bad as yours. I fear dentists.
I fear them too, lastly from a painful crown installation many years ago. That's why I waited waaaay too long before to go there again. Very very stupid, as it wrecked badly my mouth : 2 molars destroyed (the ones replaced by the implants), gum recess and multiple deep infection spots in both jaws with bone destruction, which leaded to the removal of 2 more molars, not sure about a third one. One cavity in the bone is so dip that the dentist don't know if he can do something to replace the teeth.
I can be crazy stupid time to time. Silly me.

I'm saving for am implant, old cracked tooth had to come out. Dental surgeon was prepared to do a bone graft if needed when the old one came out (in case there was bone erosion) but thankfully it wasn't.
He showed me the graft stuff, I think it came from cows...or sumptin'. Did your dentist say anything about bone grafts Marc?

Yes briefly, it seems that he doesn't want to put an animal sourced material in there. I don't know his reasons precisely, his own, or the usual patient's reluctance about it. He said me that he used a synthetic compound as a graft to raise a little the bone's surface around one implant.

I read that coral's skeleton gives a very good result for the bone grafting. It's extremely porous and easily invaded by the bone's cells. Then they can do their thing, building the new bone and eventually replacing the coral's skeleton.

Some time is needed to see how my jaw reacts and stabilizes both the repair and the wrecked area. No doubt I will have some opportunity to discuss with him.

Geez Gary all these years I've been calling you a ninja and you get snuck up on by a log?:D

Hope your recovery continues well. 8)

Shit happens to ninjas, too.

When I was in the hospital for my last leukemia ckeck up, the doctor was looking through my file on the screen and suddenly started laughing.

Turned out he had been quite impressed with what I do for a living. You know; climbing big trees with chainsaws and all that jazz.
So when he saw, that I had cut a fingertip off with a hedge trimmer this summer, it totally cracked him up:lol:

Gary that is a heckuva workout, very impressive.

Aint it crazy how chit can happen sometimes?? Using a blower and you get your dang leg taken out????!?!

I almost lost a finger getting out of the truck, it got caught behind the grab handle, full body weight vs stuck pinky:O :|:

Yep, Cory...seems the simple things often get us. Hard to stay focused all the time...need to though.

Broke an ankle once stepping off cross tie onto parking lot asphalt...assumed a parking lot would be smooth. Wrong...pothole with brick about 6 inches down. Roll of ankle on Brick broke ankle.

Stig...fhat would make a great t-shirt or bumper sticker....shit happens to ninjas, too.

I survived my first day back to falling timber! There's only about 5" of snow on the job and the temperature stayed in the 20's today. All in all it wasn't a bad day.

You gotta make sure you don't sweat in the cold by adjusting your clothing.

Saw a bunch of nice hardwood around, and some bigger ones.

My home town had lots of elms when I was a kid, but Dutch Elm Disease took it's toll.

I think Kyle-Tree09 mentioned the lack of rigging distance with some "shorter" trees, in response to a comment I made (not trying to be a tall tree snob, apologies if it came off as such... Straight conifers take less skills by far than wide hardwoods, especially without a central TIP).

Just wanted to mention the Rig-n-wrench is a great tool for many hardwoods in tight proximity to obstacles, as well as a POW on a truck, allowing cheap lifting and lowering.

I def wasn't implying that taller trees are easy by any means either, it's just that shorter ones suck lol. The rig n wrench is awesome, and I really like my redneck grcs too. Speedlines are also very handy. Chicago had about the same trees as Peoria does, and it sometimes seems that every job I look at you ask yourself "now how am I going to get my fat ass out there?!" :lol: this is definitely lift country, and so most of my trees are backyard ones, but I'm gonna have to remember that truck + portawrap trick ;) learn something every day, thank you!

Just got back from the Christmas program for the kids.

Richard boy is in kindergarten and his group was K-2.

Lynley is a third grader so her program was 3-4.

Daniel boy's program was to just be bored for the last 45 mins.

Got some emergency groceries (winter storm warning) and a gas station ice cream and came home.

I def wasn't implying that taller trees are easy by any means either, it's just that shorter ones suck lol. The rig n wrench is awesome, and I really like my redneck grcs too. Speedlines are also very handy. Chicago had about the same trees as Peoria does, and it sometimes seems that every job I look at you ask yourself "now how am I going to get my fat ass out there?!" :lol: this is definitely lift country, and so most of my trees are backyard ones, but I'm gonna have to remember that truck + portawrap trick ;) learn something every day, thank you!

We also stand a lot of stuff up with the mini and BMG combo. If you have access to a mini.

Back