How'd it go today?

I am going to plant some fruit trees in the back yard. I guess they have some hardy varieties of plums, pears and apples that work up here now.

They did a trial in Hinsdale Montana that worked pretty well.

I will make sure to post pictures and ask lots of questions when I get them planted.

Jim, ask before you plant. Proper planting (and staking, if needed) prevents piss poor performance.

Training, and Pruning, at a young age produce a solid foundation for long life.

P.s. big Y in ash aka included-bark fork/ crotch aka bark inclusion aka "bad fork" over time. Contrast excluded- bark crotch. Google images!

Lousy start to the week here. I've had a sleepless night of crazy sweats and illness and my daughter is home sick from school this morning too.

I've got one full day of chimneys booked this week and today was it. Had to slide everyone off. Not into roofwalking while I feel like a POS.

We have a boil water advisory on due to the crazy wet spring here. I was chugging tap water for a couple days anyways before I noticed that. Hope it's not connected to feeling ill.

Oh well. The sun is shining and I'll live to fight another day.

Yah municipal. The city water is gathered and treated in the mountains above my place and then piped to the city. It travels around 20km to get there. The water system is crazy around here. My irrigation water is municipal too. So I pay a good annual chunk for water but zero maintenance or other expenses with it. Having agricultural land here with a healthy quota of irrigation water is highly sought after. It drives the values way up.

Apparently besides the fifteen acres behind me that is going to orchard, atleast six other agricultural properties sold this spring and are being converted to orchards too. It's the latest thing I guess.

Bank holiday here, surprise visit from my BIL and his new 28 year old girlfriend (in case you're wondering, no, I wouldn't) in his vintage Jag.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 65
Lovely automobile.

I've been doing some touch-up paint to my XKR recently, off and on. Getting rid of some of the road rash and a scratch or two. Dr. Paintchip is a pretty good product.

Attachments

• Jag top treated 010.jpg
    Jag top treated 010.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 63
Interesting to see those two together. Pretty much the same automobile with 60 year of developement between them.

What year is the XK 120, Mich?

Well, older than me, anyway.

Had a small stump in Paris to grind last night, and price out 2 tree jobs, which I got the go ahead. 8 stumps in Langton, and 1 in Windham centre. Back by lunch and treated my GF in Waterford. Last grind the threaded pin that holds my handles broke. In the shop now in Brantford, dealing with motor custys. I really need a better truck to do jobs with........

Ya, unfortunately I'm not in a financial position to do that. I'm babying my 94 S10. I have a ton of catching up to do on bills. I lost my internet and one Credit card. The estate I'm taking care of is coming along, but slow, and the fees i will get from that will get me out of debt. Hope the stump grinding and tree work keeps up. I'm booked out almost 2 weeks and have a few good jobs in the motor shop. I need this to last 2 years and I will be good, just can't have any major break downs in the trucks or saws and grinder.

:)

That's odd. Seems if you were a loyal customer of a full-rate wrench, that they would just hire you on the spot for a small job?

When you say slightly embarrassing I'd think for them? If you bid it fairly and they hired some lowballer for the job. I'd be pointing out how that would equate to hiring the cheapest mechanic around.

I'd be kind of pissed, not embarrassed.

Lots of unknown variables(maybe they Service all the local tree guys). But generally it's good business to hire your good customers for services you need done. Maybe you're not a good customer Chris?:P. Seems unlikely, knowing your on here over the years now.

Could always ask? Or as I always lived by. Bid it and forget it.

Times are changing around these parts. We road our horses over to the elementary school to vote in our provincial general election last evening. I couldn't believe how many people were amazed to see horses, for living in such a rural type of area? I could probably have made money selling photos or doing pony rides. I was mostly left alone while I looked after the horses while my wife voted because I'm grumpy as f-ck looking on the back of a horse. Brings out the western in me. Lol, just need a six shooter too. But my wife was almost mobbed when I went in to vote.

Times are changing around these parts.
It ain't just in B.C. Justin. People just don't have time for simple pleasures anymore. There's only one horse in our whole county that I know of. The wife and I both grew up with horses but I haven't ridden in years. I had an opportunity on a backcountry hunt in Wyoming a couple of years ago but they were one horse shy so I let the rest ride and I hiked in (and out). I was really impressed at how sure-footed they were going up and down those mountains.

Back