How'd it go today?

My wife and boys headed to east tn Saturday for a week in the smokies . So I'm home alone. A planned out vacation I was looking forward to that I didn't get to go on.

My mother in law took my place since I got tied up at the mill and couldn't get away for the week. Oh well I guess.

I am binge watching Gerry's working climber DVD series tho.
Enjoying it very much too!

We got married in severville. We didn't get to get out in the park much. Stormed the whole time. I've been two other times when I was younger. Abrahm's Falls was a fun one. Was bummed I didn't get to take my oldest camping up there. But we will get there next time. Out of everything they've done so far he has been the most excited about the young bear playing near the cabin they're staying in.

Told my wife to keep Cam (my almost 2 year old) in the cabin because he would kill that poor bear. Mean little Davy Crockett! Lol

Got prepped for a craning out a small oak in a manicured spot with a small crane. I did some boom-access pruning that is part of pruning a larger oak next door. Grappled all the material into a couple piles for chipping tomorrow. I put a big pile of brush over my trailer as a deterrent beyond the padlocks on the hitch and battery tool box. Ezpz job. No wires, cool neighbors in the cul de sac where I have done work for a third of them. I was short on kitchen towels, but made some rounds about driveway access needs, concerns. Got bid requests from 2.

Old groundman is coming back for two days. He did a crane job with me before.

New guy starting tomorrow. 38 y.o. Machine operating experience. Sounds like a solid blue collar guy who is back in the area to help take care of his sick dad. Wants steady work, 40 hours a week. Worked on a processing boat in Alaska, landscaping locally, etc.

I listen to what people have to say. Willie said, Slow to hire, Quick to Fire. I've been rolling solo, and enjoying it, but I can't do it all. Need to get caught up on some stuff. A solid FT guy or 2 will be good for the storm prep season into winter. Hope the new guy has been worth waiting for.

Kinda back in the swing of things and mostly caught up (as I ever was) after the GTG. Need a solid shop day or two. Got 2 new Senas installed!

Been fascinated, on Netflix, Manhunt, about the FBI tracking/ capturing/ prosecution of the Unabomber. Good stuff. Been feeling a bit Unabomber-y with the non-stop phone calls, voice mails, text messages, Nextdoor, business FB.
Had an insight today... my neighbor, friend of a friend, as it happens, is a successful businessman, owning a quarry, employing 13 people. He might know of a good office manager type person, like he has, and/ or offer insight into how his administrative staff works for him. He's offered to take me on a tour of the quarry and take me to lunch some time. I need to take him up on that. Pick the brain of a guy who doesn't show it around much (he's my neighbor afterall), but my friend said, about my neighbor, that he has more money than God.

The GTG was a good time to chill on that tech/ screen/ business stuff. What a relieve it was today to go climb and prune an oak (and put on a show for the homeowner, and scaring her small plants with falling limbs).

Haha.

While at Harvard, at 16, its made out that the Psychology Department was running the types of experiments that have lead to the Ethics Committees for Human Subjects type of thing. Ted was in these experiments. Needing to know about psychologically breaking commies for the military, they were doing some bad psychological shit to people.

A sign that I'm not going to blow anything up is that I wrote it down on the open forum. No worries.

Had to put our milk cow down yesterday.
Bummed out.
Seems I can't find relief day to day or at the end of it. Always some crap to overcome. Tires me out.
Pruning some valley oaks is helping with my frame of mind. But.....
Not gonna contribute much from here out.
Wish me luck.

I hope thinks pick up for you Stephen, you deserve it.

Truck batteries died on me. Charged them up and they seemed alright, and next morning nothing. Lucky the client was understanding, he'd booked that day especially.

Got them today $500 for the two, didn't need that at the moment.

Stay in touch from time to time Stephen...hope you get things squared away though.

Motor shop is busy. I have crap load of jobs to do. Tree work is slammed as well. I have go aheads, without quotes, on a number of jobs, referrals, as well as needing to price up about a dozen jobs. Still not picked up the new to me truck, they are doing some body work, have to go see my Dad, do a few things for him today, take some flowers for my Mom, it's been a year today she passed. Need to get a decent pair of walking shoes, I guess I'm in the Waterford parade Saturday with my little girl.

Back