How'd it go today?

I will B. I want to tie it together before I attempt anything at the stump. I won't mess around trying to clip the back weight from the tree. Maybe a little with the pole pruner. . .

Auto Corsa in our village today, streets closed off for closed circuit time trial racing...sat on a corner where we could see four corners including the last 'over the railway lines' hump...good fun to watch. A few bent wheels and front axles caused by ditches...lots of brrrmmm brrmmm, screechchchchc, zoommmmm...:)

Sounds like fun.
Had the first day with spring weather here. Nice and sunny.
I voluntered to hang some nesting boxes for falcons at a bird reserve.
Perfect weather for that.

Doing good, actually.
Still kinda stiff, but I can almost walk without limping.
Should be good to go back in the woods tomorrow.
We only have about a week left to log, then we have 35000 trees to plant.
Should get our karma somewhat back in shape after the many we've killed this season.

I'm looking forward to working in silence after the relentless noise of the saws.

Tough racket that farming stuff. It does get in your blood though. I grew 2500 heads of cauliflower this past year. You have to walk through the whole field on a daily basis when it is heading to look for heads opening up starting to show white. You gather the leaves around the head and tie them to keep the sun off-turns them yellow and nasty looking.

Then when you harvest them you have to carefully trim the upper leaves off, leaving enough to protect the head during transport. When you get to market you trim most of those leaves off so you can see how nice it is.

My bud sarcastically said don't fool around next year, plant 8 or 10 thousand instead of a paltry 2500.

Hell of a lot of work!

I was talking years ago to an old sugar beet farmer. He raises hay now, the sugar plant left so all the beets left too.

He was talking about walking every row to make sure the beets got enough water. The valley is all flood irrigated.

He would take his shovel and splash some water on a dry beet or dig a little canal so it could get water. The harvest was all mechanized back then, but it was still hard work raising beets.

Sounds like vegetables are much worse!

Yeah, might as well not dabble! 10,000 sounds about right.

Man, I'm glad my life's work was just getting trees to grow. Sure, I'd have to get 10,000 a day in the ground, for a couple of months, 6 days a week...but for the most part, I didn't have to baby them much after that for the next 6 or 8 years.

Got a brand spanking new ms461 today. Getting a new saw is great but I'm a tad upset over my old one. Top end was just rebuilt ( less than a month on it) and according to the dealer the bottom end locked up. Piston and jug were toasted. I think the carb boot had an air leak causing it to run lean. Now I've got a box of parts.

I'm not even gonna look inside next time they tell me it's scored. I'll just run it till it explodes. That or take it home and do a complete rebuild. I'm sure between some common sense and advise given here I can figure out how. This one goes in the parts pile.

Hope you were ready for it Dave.

When ever it is going to snow I buy hot dogs, buns, milk, orange juice, bacon, bread and donuts.

It's a compulsion.

I brought home a beef today. Freezers are full.

I go nuts in the fall, usually get finished laying in provisions by late spring.

Sometimes I feel like a squirrel hiding nuts.

I cheated today in the snow. It's cold weather and I had my guys blow the snow off of the wet land area we have to cross tomorrow. All small trees to be removed. Hopefully it'll be frozen enough to not need timbermats for the miniskid to drag it out. I hate snow by the way. Several times today I couldn't see my guys on the ground. Thank Paul for the Ropetek comm systems

Hell yeah I was prepared. I had the bucket on the Kubota.:lol: it's just a pain in the ass, that's all. I haven't officially measured yet, but I bet we had at least 26". A lot of drifting, too.

Thanks. Might get scurvy this winter, but I should have enough meat.

I really do need to get the hell out of the house. Been doing inside stuff a lot, trying to help with the chores.

I was really excited today when I got to open a new package of scrubby sponges. Fack!

Back