How'd it go today?

Look at what I got sent out to do
IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1449.jpg
Our guy got it stuck. But not like that. Boss called up one of local excavating companies to help out. You can see what that got us. So I was called in to work today. 10 hours,3 machines, and some big ass cables later it was sitting high and dry. Going in tomorrow to pull our timber mats and clean things up a bit. :X

Work more than sleep Sean. 10-12 hours at work, 5-6 days a week. Spend almost every minute with the kids till they go to bed and then get cleaned up and ready for the next round. Probably not healthy but I'm good at it. ;)
Timber mats I had hauled in this morning. 16-20' long , 4' wide, bolted together 8x8's. Heavy bastids.

If you and your wife and kids are working it out, there you have it.

Pics of timber mats in action?

Did you see Paul's PCTree's roll up, roped together cribbing?

We have some wet conditions to contend with. I'm always trying to fill my bag of tricks.

My buddy who does long distance trucking picked up some mats at this place in NC where they make them. He said it was an amazing, busy place. They make mats non stop, full time. Lotta trees!

http://www.ewpi.com/history.asp

Nothing special. Video from today. . . Sorry for the mouth breathing, I've got a bit of a cold right now. haha

Nice lot on Lake Independence, up here in Big Bay.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xyqWRrhZJAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wife is headed off to a class in Billings. Ranching for Profit its called. Its costs 2700 in tuition, then you pay for the room, breakfast and dinner.

Going to be from Sunday (today) till Saturday. Then she is headed off to Great Falls to an old church for a quilting retreat, coming back the following Sunday.

I am going to be a single parent for while.

Thats not a bad thing, it will keep me from spending too much money.

Its different on a farm, sometimes the best way to manage the expenses is to do nothing at all. You cant raise profits, so you sit on your thumb and try not to spend money for a while.

Nice work Sam... Looks freezing! Good to see you catching those pieces on a sling. That will save your shoulders and wrists.

Thanks Stephen! There was an occasional wind off the lake side that was pretty cold. Not terrible, just. . . noticeable. Slings were a life saver (wrist saver anyways) for sure.

That sounds like a lot of $$ for a conference Jim. I hope she brings home some useful information.

Cheers

JIm, I hope the stack of notes she brings home from the farming conference is taller than the quilting notes.

Had a cold coming on last night...plenty of coughing, sneezing, dopey feeling etc. today...taking it easy. Mostly reading, napping, an dog petting.

Well today was interesting..
I leave a tad early to do a drop and walk. I got my 066 back from Rob yesterday since I needed it off the job he is decking logs on. Show up at the site and try to get the new chain I had bought for it on the saw... NOPE. Tad short. Second time they got the chain wrong on me for this saw and bar at the saw shop. K... New guy... I get it. Explain I will be back tomorrow to drop the tree in the morning so the clean up can begin.
Same job Rob has been decking logs on with two subs we use and the equipment is over there at the ready.
so off to my other job. One no show. K... No problem I can make it work with the loader op and one ground man.
Part way through the day.. flat tire.
Now ground man getting sick.
So I am like, lets get this one more down that I stuck a line in so I can move my gear to another job tomorrow.
There is an old mine right there. I have worked this ditch other times. You just huck the brush down into it right in from of the mine. Drops about 20 feet. Yard all the brush out the ditch to a road. All morning I climb and strip over the ditch... Mike yards it out, loader moves to fire.
Last tree. Both of us handling the pull rope in the same ditch, get it all set. Mike heads out to pull point, I climb up the side to make the 3 cuts. I no sooner get to the base of the tree, I hear a rustle down in the ditch at the mine (caved in mostly) entrance. Big young cinnamon black bear lumbering right where we just were. Runs up the opposite, almost vertical wall 20 feet up and out. One front leg is broke and dangling. HOLY SHIT. He was not 20 feet from me as I am standing on a ledge the tree is growing out of. Of all friggen days I did not bring my carry weapon. Truck had got damp, so I oiled it up and stuck it in the safe till drier weather. The frig! Wont do that again. There have been bear and mountain lion sightings over there since fall. I have been packing JIC.
So... we inform the HO to call Fish & Game and Sheriff. He pulls a hunting rifle and starts checking around in case.
Dismissed my sick ground guy
Dismissed my tractor op to go get tire fixed.
I quit early and head over to saw shop to straighten the second boo boo out.
I go home. Call custy for tomorrow and she cancels. So after I pull all the gear out, it all goes back tomorrow.. For the rest of the month anyway... SHeesh.. What a day!

Truth! I had freezing fog so thick today I could not barely see the ground crew. Radio only when I topped them out. I was throwing 50 plus footers.
I had some good DZs so I knew the general direction and I could wait to get a glimpse of Mike in the HIVis before I gunned the face. Then he would fade into the fog. Hit my marks often. But too damn foggy to throw 100 plus sticks near buildings. You could not see the target form the tree base. Then a bear out of no where. Crazy shat.

OK...trees, terrain AND weather...madness on that left coast!!!!

Bear with a broken leg sounds like trouble if you get cross ways with him.

Here is a video my ground man Mike got when the sun came out after a week of cold rain up here last week. Sun finally broke through Friday.
My climb rope from climbing two of these was just dripping with water from being cinched around the stems.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iRV2sEs7MqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As well there should be!!!

2w3u7vp.jpg

Back