How'd it go today?

You won't be able to haul much with the Ford, its only got a 12" bed.:/:

GVWR for the Ford is 15K, the Isuzu is 14,500. Actually the Ford has a 144" bed. ;)
The other dump bed is either 12' or 14'. I need 84" from the cab to the rear axle for it to fit. Advantages for the Ford are that it's ready to go now and can tow my dump trailer easily if needed. Advantages for the Isuzu are more maneuverable, better fuel economy and lighter footprint. Will have a better idea after looking at them closely.

I'm done with the blue ovals. Not in the same boat as you but I'm looking to upgrade to a midsize chip truck. CDL range. I can add that Isuzu is the largest manufacturer of diesel motors in the world. Well at least since last I checked.

Still a bit light for me but you're in my ballpark now. Bow ties or no ties! The bed is a bit much for that weight class in my opinion. Depends on how high you make the sides but a bandit will fill a 30 yard chip truck. They just throw chips so nice.

5.7 is good for 12-14 mpg. Don't know the conversion for you but that's pretty much the mileage empty or loaded. Good engines. GM built them from forever ago until 2000-2001. My last 5.7 had 285k miles when I traded it in. Never had a problem with it. That's what made me trade it in. I figured truck, trans, and engine would all quit at once

Well, its the second day of fall and I have officially gone into full winter preparedness mode.

It has gotten so bad that I am shopping for freezers and log splitters.

I do need more freezers.....yeah right.....but I dont even burn wood.

Anyone recommend a good log splitter? I see Northern HYD has a 37 ton model for like 1800 bucks.

What do you need to split cotton wood?

Thinking I could maybe convert my post driver into a log splitter........or maybe my D8?

Too bad Old Irish isn't still on here, he might have set you up.

Another vote on the Ford. The 7.3 powerstroke is about one of the best motors ever used in a truck, my 96 f250 has 320k plus miles and still rolling strong. I'm planning on shimming my injectors this weekend (after a ton of miles the injector seats wear, causing tough cold starting and power loss till warm, not really a problem in fl, but basically kinda rebuilds them), and then doing the turbo pedestal o rings (if it looks like the rear main is leaking, it's those o rings up top). They are very conservatively rated too, so if you are going to risk an overload ticket on a weekend or something, the truck won't mind (not that I would ever do that lol). I'm not familiar with Isuzus, but I would be very impressed if they even came close to what that Ford would do, and for relative cheapness in parts.

If you aren't super pressed for time, I would talk him off that price tho. 6 month flip sounds like he got it super cheap and wants to make a quick buck, especially with the fleet maintained thing (he bought it at an auction). Look it over real good, make a giant deal out of everything you can oil leak wise, and make sure the hoist works perfectly, no leaks or sticking. Throw a fit about everything, and I would bet he comes off that price (bought a truck for a tree business 6 months ago, but doesn't have a tree business now, that sounds fishy as hell to me)

Kyle, I agree with everything you said but when I met him in person I got a much different impression. I ended up agreeing to buy it for $8K. Kind of hard to go wrong at that price. Yes, he's making a few bucks on it but he also bought it right and had his mechanic go through it and fix several items. It fired right up and ran smoothly. It was NOT pressure washed and everything painted with black spray paint like you find at most car lots. No major leaks, just a little seepage as would be expected on a older truck. He is still working with the guys who bought his tree business and I believe he bought the truck with them in mind but they obviously didn't want it. I'll pick it up next weekend.

Hell yeah, it's hard to get a read off of a craigslist ad lol. 8k for that truck in good condition is def fair, I just guessed the auction thing and the flip from certain things he said in the ad. I'm sure it will serve you well, any specific questions or problems that come up with it let me know, I'll be a pro here shortly after getting mine up to par hahaha. One tip I have to say after learning what I've learned so far with the 7.3 is to keep the oil changed, I know it's obvious and I'm sure you keep up on that stuff, I've just been dealing with injector issues on mine that are caused by time and oil. They make an oil additive called archoil that is gold for these trucks too. The other thing to check is the turbo air intake hose, they are very prone to ripping in the first gen 7.3s, and if you don't catch it in time it could dust the turbo or worse the motor. It's the hose that is right before the turbo. Cheers on the new truck Brian!

I buy Wix/ Napa Gold filters from www.fleetfilter.com. I keep extras in stock for all my trucks, buy oil at Wally World a shopping cart load at a time. The Cat 3126 takes 5 gallons and the Duramax holds 4 gallons. I'll look into that oil additive and also check that air intake tube closely.

Speaking burning wood?

Hey Squisher.....you ever make house calls to the friendly side of the border?

I need two chimneys swept and a wood insert installed.

The travel time might be a deal breaker.

Things are very busy for me this time of year. 3-5 chimneys a day and three weeks booked out and it's just starting to dip to cooler temps. It's a good season of the year to be a chimney sweep.

I'm having my first fire of the season tonight. A quick hot one in the basement to take the chill off.

Well, its the second day of fall and I have officially gone into full winter preparedness mode.

It has gotten so bad that I am shopping for freezers and log splitters.

I do need more freezers.....yeah right.....but I dont even burn wood.

Anyone recommend a good log splitter? I see Northern HYD has a 37 ton model for like 1800 bucks.

What do you need to split cotton wood?

Thinking I could maybe convert my post driver into a log splitter........or maybe my D8?
I have been running a Northern Tool 22 ton for 15 years(I think) now with no issues and have split many 100's of cords. Image 2.jpg Pile for a few years back I am trying to get away from selling firewood.
I can talk to a guy and see what he would charge to deliver a semi load of hardwood firewood in either log or split if you want?

I think you are a bit too modest, Stig. But then the really great tree guys rarely brag.

On another note, I think I found a nice little chip truck for my little chipper. A 2005 Isuzu NPR diesel. Only $6500 but it doesn't have a dump bed. A towing company owner I know has a used dump bed he will install for $2K. Here's the ad for the truck. I'm looking at it tomorrow.
https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-isuzu-npr-flatbed/6304531235.html

I have the next step up. Izuzu for.
Great truck. Will probably run forever. 20 yard chip box. I do have to do the synronizers on the trans at some point but I love it as a chip truck.

Did some running around for the estate I'm taking care of last Friday and this morning. It's hot out, like 31C. Have some motor shop work to do, go load up the dump with scrap metal, may be head out early and hit some dealers around and look for a truck in Brantford, go price out a couple trees in my neighbourhood.

Back