How'd it go today?

Great save!

Dead wooded a spruce today, finally got to put the chipper to serious use. Need to sharpen the feed roller. Custy wanted the chips. Need to go over and inspect everything on the chipper.

20171128_133736.jpg

Befco trailer mounted. Befco only makes the PTO model now, which is basically the same
. yes, it will blow into a truck. 1300lbs with a full gas tank.

Looks like something you could winch around with a portable winch/ capstan, and a good wheel.

This just gave me a good idea. A large pneumatic wheel can easily bolt onto a tongue, independent of the tongue jack. That would increase the ability to move the chipper, I think. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before. I'll tumble that idea around a bit.

I'm really a fan of moving the chipper to the brush, rather than the other way around, as chip mulch so often much more useful where the trees are, compared to where the truck is.

I saw a funky chipper on craigslist. A self-propelled, hydraulic feed wheel, drum chipper with an 18 hp engine. Fitchburg.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/d/walk-behind-wood-chipper/6397989400.html

I was going to make a large cart. The issue in my area is that there are many old homes built over 100 uears ago, no driveways, may be 30inchs between houses. The feed is on the passenger side, if I can blow it into a large cart I can wheel it to where the custy wants it. I'm planning on welding on a fold down platform at the back of the chipper, install lights and get it plated.

Working your niche. That's good.

Reg's winch mount on his chipper got me thinking about a mount on mine. If I had a good front swivel wheel, I could winch it off the tongue a lot of places.

Bought plane tickets for Dahlia and myself to go to Chicago before Christmas. Going to have an AirBnb apartment in my hometown. Train access to Chicago. Downtown museums and things. Will be weather dependent. Could be 50 degrees or negative-20* wind-chill factor.

Haven't visited home in a couple of years. My mom is too old to fly solo, so we're heading there. She's closing in on 80, somehow, smoking cigarettes and eating eggs and bacon daily. I have two brothers there, one with a family. In the past, I've stayed at my brother's house, but the kids are older now, and our own space is valuable.

Should be really cool to show her my hometown. She was too young on our last trip there, three years ago, to remember it now. She's closing in on 6, now.

Rainy, rest day today, besides the 28 fir removal bid.

Just had a maple tree removal with mad figured wood come in. She called, and in the voicemail she stressed that we need to take all the wood. "Yes, ma'am". Gave her a fair price. Big wood. Tree had been repeatedly topped. Probably get a tow-behind lift to make it easy to rig stuff down, or, the crane-shop is around the corner, practically no travel time, but I need a powerline drop, "some time between 8-10am".

Bandit Model 90 specs from an unknown year.

Dimensions
Width 6'
Height 8'
Length 14' 2" w/ infeed tray closed
Weight 3,800 - 4,600 pounds (depending on options)
Tires and Axles
Capacity 7,000 lbs
Tire Suspension Torflex
Tires (2) 245 / 75R 16" load range E, 10 ply
Noise Level 80 decibels at 50', 360 degrees
Tongue Jack
Capacity 5000 lbs.
Type Stationary foot pad
Safety Chains 5/16" links X 36" min (2) with hooks
Steel Fuel Tank Capacity 24.5 gallons
Steel Hydraulic Tank Capacity 7 gallons
Towing Hitch 2-1/2" pintle ring or 2-5/16" ball
Hydraulic Feed System
PSI 2500
Feed Wheel Diameter (2) 7-1/2" X 16-3/8" long feed wheels
Drive Motor 14 cubic inches
Feed Rate 90 feet per minute
Hinged Yoke Assembly slide box
Output
2 - Knife 6.2 GPM
3 - Knife 7.4 GPM
Chipper Cutting Wheel
Disc 30" diameter X 1-1/2" thick
Knife Pockets (2) full
Chipper Shaft 4" diameter at hub
Infeed Hopper Opening
Height 29"
Width 35"
Control Bar Forward/Neutral/Reverse
Chipper Capacity 9" diameter
Frame 2" X 4" rectangular tubing
Discharge System
Swivel 360 degree manual rotation, w/ chip deflector
Tool/Battery Box Lockable Aluminum battery box
Lighting Electrical System 12 volt system w/ rubber mounted LED taillights, w/ 6 prong replaceable coiled trailer power cord

Well mine is only 48" wide and 12' long so those specs must be from a later version. Mine also has a 7 gallon fuel tank, not 24. It has a 2" ball hitch. Axle is a standard 5 lug (3500 lb capacity).

First couple of decent climbs for over a month today. I have been sidelined with a badly strained rotator cuff, which has driven me insane. With a bit of luck , I will be back to full fitness before January :)

Attachments

• 38C61D8B-8C07-42D6-A053-2E7C2D10133E.jpg
    38C61D8B-8C07-42D6-A053-2E7C2D10133E.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 52
Looks like something you could winch around with a portable winch/ capstan, and a good wheel.

This just gave me a good idea. A large pneumatic wheel can easily bolt onto a tongue, independent of the tongue jack. That would increase the ability to move the chipper, I think. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before. I'll tumble that idea around a bit.

I'm really a fan of moving the chipper to the brush, rather than the other way around, as chip mulch so often much more useful where the trees are, compared to where the truck is.

I saw a funky chipper on craigslist. A self-propelled, hydraulic feed wheel, drum chipper with an 18 hp engine. Fitchburg.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/d/walk-behind-wood-chipper/6397989400.html

What would be cool is some battery powered drive wheel..........

Supercool - even cooler if you could do it w/o bending over.

Just make it a foot or so taller.

Todays job. Valley oak. Maybe 140' middle of a vineyard. Get it dow image.jpg n with no damage to vineyard rows large wood
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 47
Back