How'd it go today?

Well it's about to get down and dirty in the shop. Still spitting out snow, but my 550 is going to be spitting out casings if I don't open it up and re and re this clutch and flywheel. I'm quite certain it's dual mass in there and it's coming apart. There's no more limping it along much I think. It's definetly getting worse by the km.

I was really hoping to put it off. Just making a good breakfast while the shop heats up a bit. Worse thing for me is not having a proper tranny jack, hopefully a friend is stopping by with a motorcycle jack and we can improvise something up? I've balanced many a tranny on my floor jack but this zf6 is a bit of a monster. Pucker up buttercup. Lol.

It don't matter none to me. I'm in a heated shop. But it matters if I need to sand anywhere. This is my only sander truck.

When I was young I removed a v8 motor once from a car in a field in the winter. Slid it to the truck on the hood of the car. Lmao. Those days are done. Me and one other guy stupid enough to do it with me.

I pulled my zf5 with the harbor freight tranny jack, with the transfer case still attached (rounded bolt head grrrrrr). I also put it off forever, it actually isn't that bad. Get rid of that dual mass bs too while you are at it.

I put the NV5600 in my Dodge on a floor jack on a gravel driveway. It wouldn't roll, so I had to push the truck into the transmission. It was not ideal.

It's to quiet gear rollover noise I believe. So to keep. The tranny quieter. It's getting replaced with a single mass for sure. I'll probably pull the transfer case off and then balance the tranny on my floor jack looks like. My buddy can't get at his jack or something. Or would need me to come and lift it out from where it is? Floor jack it is!

The dual mass in the 7.3 powerstroke was there to smooth out the output to protect the drivetrain and reduce noise/better ride. In practice, using it like a truck not a daily driver negates any good. More moving parts in the dual mass too

Well the fun part is over. Orrr I think it was fun. It's all apart about 4-4 1/2hrs. My buddy much to his credit grabbed his jack and showed up when I was about 2hrs in solo. Crappy dual mass flywheel is present and accounted for. Pilot bearing is gone and the input shaft is chewed. And the clutch itself is blown apart, it's hard to see but a piece of it is missing, fell out when I opened it up and the springs are literally busting right out. I have ordered a repair sleeve kit but now I get to be Canadian.........and wait. Won't be here until Friday morning hopefully. Sure hope that works out, tranny otherwise has always seemed fine but I'm researching things to check shaft endplay and whatnot.

I've already got a luk replacement kit and a luk solid flywheel.

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

It really came out quite easy. The old beast, is actually my newer truck. Lol. I found the crossmember way easier on this suoerduty cimpared to a obs.

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

I was kind of amazed at the pictures too. Crappy oldish iphone with a beat to living hell and back otterbox case over it too. It did quite a job.

It's love /hate for me with the wrenches. I just can't bring myself to pay someone to potentially mess up or harm my truck and me pay them a fortune for it. I'm much more mentally stable when I screw it up myself for just cost of parts. :D

Dual mass trouble....just as I suspected.

I have two on the place that will be replaced this winter.

I put some better springs on the front end of my 93 F250 this afternoon.

Putting a cake feeder on that pickup. The front tires were so far out that the shop could not align the front end.

Tires worn out too.

I ordered springs for my 93 with the 7.3 diesel to go on my 93 with the 460.

The diesel springs are heavier, but I did not notice any ride difference this afternoon. In fact, it might ride a bit better. Probably has something to do with the spring rate, and the fact that the twin beam axle geometry is back to normal now.

Glad you got it figured out Justin. I should have mentioned the pilot bearing issue Justin, sorry about that. Nearly every time you open them up the input is buggered. I should have said something.

A couple different options there. Turn your input shaft down for an undersized pilot or use a repair kit.

One nice thing about the Ford zf6 is that you could buy a new input shaft. The GM input shaft was unavailable for many years.....they may be just starting to sell them again.

Honestly I dont know why you couldn't weld up the input and turn it down.

I've been researching a bunch I think the repair kit will be a winner. Apparently it's a better pilot bearing that goes with it too. Bigger and more contact area or something?

Also looks like I should get my hands on a new clutch fork, the little plastic bushing thing the clutch fork rides on and the piece the throwout bearing contacts referred to as a 'quill'. That hopefully is the end of the shopping list. The missing items will be mainly dealer only items I think. Our local dealer keeps good stock so I'm hopeful they have something. But I have no account there so it can get ugly fast. I know one fella who works there, hopefully he's around tomorrow.

Old truck love, i like it. Ill do the same in my early 99 soon enough. 160k on the original, easy life tho. I think im gonna flatbed it and use it for a light duty work truck here soon.

I sure I got everything I need now? I've been to town and fleeced by the dealer. Not to bad actually. I'm back and have got the shop heating up and will put a couple more hours in prepping everything I can for when the last two parts hopefully show up on time tomorrow morning. fingers crossed. Weather is dicey. :whine:

We are falling smallish oaks. Normally this would be a job for a mechanical harvester, but since we we are already there, and it is a small job, they let us loose on it instead of going to the trouble and cost of bringing a machine in.

That is so relaxing compared to the big stuff we normally fall.
Got a call today from a forester who needed 500 cubic meters of large spruce and fir cut for shipping to China.
That'll be fun, too.

Back