How'd it go today?

A quick mill before the rain, 6inch by 30ish wide maple. Brantford's flood has passed, at the two peaks of flood the water rose nearly 6m (19ft). Lots of logs laying around. :/:

received_2005531836129508.jpg

Nice milling.

Another week done, no injuries, no major breakdowns, work completed on time and on budget.

Happy days! Enjoy your weekend ‘housers.

Small storm kicked some work my way...nice bonus for February :) Errybuddy's paid too :)

Had a productive week. Three easy jobs today, still done and home by 3. Yesterday's big removal paid cash, including $1200 in $10 bills. It will take me weeks to get rid of them all! And if that's the worst thing I have to deal with this week than I consider myself very lucky.

Had a saw with a bad spark plug I fixed today. Made me think of the guy from Arboristsite many years ago who always said that he had never seen a spark plug go bad. Mike something, can't remember. Anyway, the electrode in this plug was broken and you could change the gap by turning the plug upside down and back again. Threw a new plug in and it runs perfect.

Had a big fat red shouldered hawk sitting in the top of a tree I cut down today. Tree was 80' tall and from my setup I could only reach to about 50' up. So I had to throw a good size top and that bird stayed right there until the top came over, then she flew away.

Whatcha gonna do with the slab Pete?

Spent the day changing bottom roller bearings on Shancho. 7 out of ten were loose 3 of which were roached which prompted the repair. So ordered enough to do all ten but the remaining three were still good. My shop press and I are old friends now.

That had to have been a sight Brian. Love stuff like that when working around nature.
Snow day today. My client cancelled and I had another lined up for my guys, also cancelled. Temps dropped last night below 20*.
So it snowed on tepid ground getting it wet, then covered it with snow and a sheet of ice formed under crusty snow. Accidents everywhere, sheriffs asking folks to stay home, school cancelled. Was able to leave our driveway about 10ish and go pick up baby goats at a lower elevation. Accident on one of the grades (roll over and trapped) caused us to take a long detour but I made a good decision. Road was only icy in the shady spots while the highway we were on was an ice sheet. More accidents that way happened while we drove the sunny side of the mountain on clear roads. Came back to better roads after 1 pm. And safe and sound baby goats.

Another lovely day here in Ohio. Worked in the rain most of the day again.
1ED12429-6EFC-4F23-971E-3A09AC59278E.jpeg
Finally quit raining and the truck decided to quit running. We were able to finally get it restarted and back to the shop around five. I?m taking the ?spare? out tomorrow while the mechanic can hopefully get the bad sensor replaced.

Can't believe Brian forgot Mike Maas' last name!

The two of them liked to tag team on me at AS.

Worked with a bit of snow.

Did some orchard pruning, and maple reduction of a rotten thing leaning toward the house. 4-500 pounds less, way out there, should help.

Wondered how hard life before throwlines was.

Scared some landscaping, none harmed.

Bought a Husqvarna battery-powered rear-handle saw. About like a MS211, probably less than an MS250. $300 with one battery and charger. Nice!

I'm heavily invested in Milwaukee tools, so I'm waiting for their chainsaw. I'm just going to end trim big timbers with it. Better than running the 395 in the garage. I think we are going to see a lot of improvement in battery tools in the next five years. I'm interested to know how it works for you.

I'm back after two days of extreme logging in the south.

We had a great time.
OK trees and landscape and terrific weather.

Thursday morning before dawn the 3 of us hit the forest.
Did a "Le Mans" like start: " Gentlemen, start your engines" and worked balls to the wall for 12 hours.
It wasn't mentioned, but we all knew we were competing for most trees felled and bucked in a day.

Normally we count 10 trees as a days work in mature beech, bucked to 6 centimeretrs.
We did the whole stand of 69 trees that day.
Most fun I've had in a long time.

When you fall beech every day, it gets kind of boring after a couple of months, so going all out like that is a nice change.

I used 3 gallons of gas and a lot of sandwiches to keep me and the saw going.
Beat both of the youngsters, too.
Richard by only one tree, but for an old guy with leukemia and arthitis, that is pretty good.

I've always ( at least after I turned 30) been able to out fall anybody when I put my mind to it, t'was nice to see that I haven't lost that ability.

If someone from the WADA had turned up with a paper cup for me to piss in, I would have been done for, though.
Had to eat a bunch of Ibuprofen to shut up my bad knee.

We impressed the hell out of the forester who runs the estate.
good thing, as he runs 3 more estates down there.
Should lead to some more work.

They put us up in a really nice house.
Too nice for a bunch of scruffy fallkers, actually.

Been the best two days in a long while:)

I can't imagine working 12 hours swinging a saw. My productivity would go WAY down after 7 or 8!

My fingers and forearms are sore from grabbing the saw for so long.
Apart from that, and some general tiredness, like after running a marathon, I'm fine.

But then we are in peak logging shape now.
If I had done it in mid summer, I'd be more or less dead right now.
Swinging a 661 and a 441 is heavy work.

No way I could do it for more than a couple of days.

Mature beech are between 3 and 4 feet in diameter.
Normally we don't buck anything under 5 inches, the tops are forwarded out for biomass, but they were in dire need of firewood, so we were asked to buck to 2,2 inches ( 6 centimeeters)

I assume you switch to smaller saws for all that teeny bucking.

How long are the pieces you buck? I assume the trunks/spars are measured to a specific length. What about the smaller wood?

MS441 is the smallest saw we run for logging.
We bought a MS362 at one time, but nobody wanted to use it, it was simply too slow.
So we sold it under the table and put the money in the travel fund.:)

The bottom log is bucked to whatever standard the mill asks for.

These were bucked for transport to China, so no logs over 11,8 meter ( Shipping container length)

The call was AF+A+B+BC+continuing C.

That means you can't buck a C quality log unless that quality is backed up by a length of something btter.
So a pure C log gets bucked for firewood or flooring logs.

You walk along the log and grade it as you go, depending on watersprouts, branches, twist, curvature, old scrapes, and in the case of beech, amount of false heartwood.
When you get to the point where the log doesn't match the set standard, you buck it.

The rest of the tree is bucked into 2,8 meter lengths for flooring mill logs or firewood.

Bucking logs is a bit of a science, but once you know how, it is pretty much done by instinct.

We had a discussion here once where Jed felt that loggers were WAY above arbos ( Of course we are, and those who do both are really top of the heap:D) and somebody said that if Mark Chisholm took to logging, he'd make a hell of a logger in no time.

My though on that was, not around here, he wouldn't.
Takes at least a season before one has the grading system down pat.
Mathias, our former apprentice now turned employe, asked me to take a look at one of his yesterday on the way out of the forest.
Just wanted me to confirm that he had made the right decision. ( He had)

Bucking wrong can cost the forest owner and in the end the faller a lot of money.

Back