How'd it go today?

Yup.... Gotta love the southwest <3 every time I read these posts about all this snow, all I can think is hell no. Lol
meanwhile-in-arizona-4043218.png

For a lot of businesses the piles take up to many parking spaces

Parking lot piles were are only vertical relief in Chicago. Were fun as kids.

They make giant snow-melters that are fed with a front-loader.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bX7g6BjmTVk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe> Cheaper than trucking out of cities' downtown areas.

Big wind came through on Wed., been busy, snapped trees, a liquidambar that fell apart in three different directions, then an emergency call at 4pm for a huge elm an hr away, they could hear it cracking. Big split in a heavy branch up at about 25'...cut the end weight off, lashed the remains to the branch above. If I hadn't have gone.that whole thing would have been on the ground by morning, twisted and torn. Bed and breakfast, people park underneath! Didn't get home till after 8. Finish it up on Monday

Good jobFi. I really hate storm work - never nice work & often with super stressed clients

This is true. Though, if you help them through it, it can build a good relationship.

I responded to a guy's tree on house, recently. He was in Hawaii for another two weeks. Started talking about flying home. I told him to relax and enjoy Hawaii. We'd have it off the next day, and re-tarped, the roofers could get in by noon the next day if available. I told him its a 'fender bender' of trees on houses, the insurance will be fine, we will be fine, we'll keep the water damage out, the roofing contractor will handle it. EZPZ.

He just called me last night to schedule an eval/ more work.

You can be a hero.

Sometimes, that branch you keep from splitting onto the house, and becoming a huge deal (and more profitable if it would become insurance work) will earn you the best advertising from a grateful customer.

During major storms, where lots of people need you all at the same time...sucks, but profitable.

Parking lot piles were are only vertical relief in Chicago. Were fun as kids.

They make giant snow-melters that are fed with a front-loader.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bX7g6BjmTVk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe> Cheaper than trucking out of cities' downtown areas.
I don't think it's much cheaper if any. More so out of necessity as there is no place to put it all. They burn a crap load of diesel an hour.

We might need them here if things keep up. Winter continues to kick the sh-t out of us here. We're setting records near daily for cold in my locale. -22c yesterday morning at my place and this morning the batteries gave up in my outside monitor lol. I'd give up to I think. No end in sight to the cold and more snow coming at the end of the week.

Ha! Unfortunately the heater quit in the road patrol.

Sitting still in a cab at 20 below is hard on my feetsees!

Was hoping that maybe the County would come plow the COUNTY road.....you know....since they jacked up my taxes........but alas....nope.

I guess I will continue to plow the County road for free. That way we can continue to participate in the local economy......

I like storm work. Never had a nasty person with it, they are just relieved that someone is going to be able to take care of it for them.
The damage has been done, if I can get it removed without causing any more then that's good. A little additional collateral damage seems to be ok...like I had to use my secateurs to snip some small broken bits off the rhododendron and rose that were below...

Went to the mailbox hoping to get a check that would help my bank account. Instead got a traffic ticket in the mail. Guy in the picture was speeding and was also me.

Aug

Spent a good part of the day driving to a hardwood yard near Lancaster, PA to buy a load of red birch for a project.
Nice folks, though it was leftover, picked-over, end of a pallet, so-so-quality wood.
Got what I needed and the price was adjusted, so no harm, just more time on the jointer/planer/saw...

...and no ticket (though I'll have to watch the mail for a week or so :) )

Isn’t technology great!
My boss has gotten a few of those but none of them have been mine.

Had kind of a shit day for the beautiful weather. To much outside stuff going on today.

Pruned a big flowering cherry, and 4 fruiting apples. First time I've blown snow off trees to prune them. Put on ground only, so no worry about clean-up. Happy, repeat customers.

He's recovering from a put-off-way-too-long rotator cuff surgery. She described it as his shoulder was sorta mush, so they worked with the mush. Longer than normal recovery. I expect lots of muscle atrophy for the time he's not going to be using it. Reminder to do my Rotator Cuff Physical Therapy. Props to Rico for the additional two: banded pull-apart, and banded face-pulls. I wear safety glasses with that one. My old theraband started to tear apart, so I got a new one at Target, under the product of a handled resistance training band. Under $15. I like it better with handles than without, as was the way of the old one from the physical therapist.

Back